17 October 2022

Romiley

I am going to Romiley tomorrow morning. My trusty motor vehicle Clint will remain at home because I will be travelling to Romiley by train. Riding on the train I will be able to read. It takes an hour to get to Romiley from Dore and Totley station. The return rail fare is £15.80 ($18 US).

"Romiley?" you ask. Where the hell is Romiley?  It is in Greater Manchester  - to the south east of the city and just east of Stockport. In the early nineteenth century, Romiley was an agricultural village surrounded by farmland but during the industrial revolution it was more or less gobbled up by the sprawling tentacles of Manchester. However, there are still areas of green around it.

Before I go to bed I need to print off my rail tickets as well as maps that will guide me on my long circular walk. Tomorrow evening I hope to post some of my own  pictures to give you a better idea of what Romiley and the surrounding area is like.

This may seem kind of sad but I am quite excited about the planned excursion. The weather is more or less guaranteed to be wonderful tomorrow - a bright autumn day with rich colours. I will be walking in what I call virgin territory for I have never been there before. I expect I will cover eight or nine miles before catching the 16.08 train home.

As the saying goes - simple things please simple minds. However,  I know that one day I will be too old and infirm to plan something like this so I will enjoy it while I can and relish every footstep and every new sight.

Peak Forest Canal at Romiley

16 comments:

  1. How I envy your walks! Enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice to yourself. Thee are some more strenuous and difficult things that I cannot do anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great day out! I don't know what's "sad" about looking forward to this excursion. Hopefully, not only will you have perfect walking weather, but your trains will be on time (with you on them).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sad at all. I would be a little excited too at the prospect of a little adventure. The weather conditions bode well for some glorious autumn photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I come too? It sounds like a trip and walk I would like. The train fare though sounds expensive. Is there an Australian Senior discount? I dread the day when I can no longer get out and about but then when it happens, perhaps there is a sense of relief. Give us heaps of photos of Romiley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm as sad as you because I would be looking forward to it too. One of the things I miss most about your country is the mass transportation system. Here one must drive everywhere and then fight heavy traffic in large urban areas. Something different is only available in those large urban areas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish we were there to join you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your autumn walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a fabulous time !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm looking forward to your photos and hope you had an excellent walk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Am awaiting pictures with eager anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds a great day out. Walking and a train journey and good weather makes a great day out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting! I have never been to Manchester. If you show us something intriguing maybe I can talk Dave into making the trip!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits