9 October 2022

Judgement

After winning the Week 38 Geograph photo competition with my image of a beached jellyfish, it was my honour to pick the Week 39 winner from a shortlist of fifty photographs taken by Geograph contributors.

In third place I picked this image from Paul Harrop - taken at the point where The River Hull meets The River Humber in East Yorkshire:-
In second place I chose this picture of two mute swans on The River Exe in Tavistock, Devon by Lewis Clarke. It is an eye-catching composition but I felt that it lacked certain degrees of sharpness and illumination. That slightly dull quality brought it down from its potential top spot in my judgement:-
And so we come to the winner - "Stichill Linn" by Walter Baxter. It was taken near Kelso in the Scottish Borders when Walter was standing in Eden Water in his wellingtons (American: gumboots). I think it is a fabulous composition with the way the early autumn light is filtering through the leaves and the way the waterfall has become a subtle element in the picture instead of the glaring centre of it. When one is the judge, one can decide. It all boils down to a matter of personal taste and I am happy with my choice:-

29 comments:

  1. You chose three excellent photos. It must have been tough as all would have been excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walter Baxter has won many times and I would have preferred a picture by someone who has never won but cream rises to the top.

      Delete
  2. I love that last photo. I'm a sucker for a waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you agree Nurse Lily as I know you have a good eye when it comes to photography.

      Delete
  3. Excellent choices. I could never be a judge and have to choose, I simply can't make up my mind when confronted with many choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you were a judge the criminals would all get away with their wrongdoing!

      Delete
  4. I like all three of your choices, but your #1 is also my favourite. The place looks like somewhere I could spend hours and not need or want anything or anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... yes, maybe a picnic. And my camera.

      Delete
    2. And a transistor radio and some fashion magazines?

      Delete
  5. Yes an excellent choice. The swan 'heart' theme is captured many times but the discreet waterfall captures tranquillity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. The heart shape is not original.

      Delete
  6. The two hearts do it ♥️ for me. Majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good selection YP. Somehow, much as I liked the last one, I felt the first one had the edge - a certain urban "other worldliness" about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even to come third is a good achievement.

      Delete
  8. Very good choices

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes. I think you chose well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great tradition to have the winner pick the next winner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be hard to decide. I would pick swans as #3, waterfall #2 and East Yorkshire #1. You are a photographer, tho, so you know better the skills needed for each photo. Hope you enjoyed your birthday, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to be a photographer to like or dislike an image Ellen. Yes I did enjoy my birthday but it mostly involved attending a wedding reception for two friends. This happened to co-incide with my special day.

      Delete
  12. 3, 1, 2. Very nice. Let us know the result~

    ReplyDelete
  13. You chose well Neil. I can almost hear the stream flowing, the waterfall gently gushing, and the leaves of the trees swishing. The light and the reflections of the leaves in the water are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. All nice photos. The exposures are good in the winner -- both the shaded and bright areas are easily visible. I do love the swans in that pose.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits