23 October 2022

Flabbergasting

Words are endlessly fascinating aren't they? Often I wonder where they came from or how popular they might be. There's always a bit of history behind the words we use.

Recently I used the word "flabbergasting" to describe a widespread reaction to the idea that Chubby Johnson - the man with a head of straw - might return as prime minister. By the way, I am very pleased to learn this very evening that he has squashed that idea so the path is now clear for Rishi Sunak to waltz into Number 10 Downing Street.

I like the word "flabbergasting". It rolls nicely off the tongue like "marshmallow" or "nincompoop". The root word "flabbergast" may have first arisen as a dialect word in Suffolk or Sussex. No one seems to know for sure. It seems to have entered the written language in 1772 as no other traceable appearances of the word have been found before that date. It may combine "flabby" and "aghast".

Throughout the nineteenth century, the word's use was quite rare. It was only around 1900 that "flabbergasted" and "flabbergasting" began to gain real traction, levelling off around 1940 before surging again around 1995. It's the same in America and Australia as in Great Britain.

Throughout this millennium its usage trajectory has continued steadily upwards. It seems that the majority of  native English speakers are now both familiar and comfortable with the word. In "Carry On Up The Jungle" (1970), the British comic actor Frankie Howerd says: “I’m flabbergasted. My gast has never been so flabbered.”

In many contexts, "flabbergasted" is arguably more powerfully expressive than "astonished", "amazed" or "astounded". It suggests that your bottom jaw is hanging open with incredulity. Surely not! Yes. I will continue to use "flabbergasted"  and "flabbergasting" from time to time to express reactions that verge on sheer disbelief and God knows there have many happenings in recent years that thoroughly merit connection with the term.

33 comments:

  1. It is always interesting to learn the origin of words and despite how stale we may feel about the English language, it is constantly changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. English has always been more ready to expand and evolve than any other language the world has known.

      Delete
  2. I tend to think of the word "flabbergast" as akin to "gobsmack." What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree but historically the word "gob" for mouth has been considered somewhat coarse use of language.

      Delete
  3. I am often flabbergasted and think it's a wonderful word, not used enough. I have another word that you may enjoy, cockwomble. It's very satisfying and descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that Mrs Cockwomble was the Member of Parliament for Cockermouth.

      Delete
  4. After reading this I am both Flabbered and Gasted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reference to one's sex life is not encouraged within the bounds of this blog River.

      Delete
  5. I love using words that are no longer, or rarely, used. I haven't used flabbergasting in a while, so I may trot it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the word "trump" - meaning fart will fade away like malodorous gas from the rear aperture..

      Delete
  6. I'll bet you had fun with your classes looking at the history of some of our interesting English words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I find language as a whole and single terms and their origins utterly fascinating.
    Through my reading of free ebooks on kindle, I have come across many works written in the 1850 or not much later, and they often contain words you would not find in a book written nowadays. One of my favourites is persnickety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fond of that word too Meike. Maybe it's because I am rather persnickety about written expression.

      Delete
  8. I suppose current affairs will lead to an increased use of the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only current affairs but sultana and raisin affairs too.

      Delete
  9. I find I am flabbergasted frequently and often. As you suggest, there is a lot to be flabbergasted about. I love the Frankie Howerd line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should lose a little flabber.

      Delete
  10. Long jowls hanging is the 'flabber' for me just like a loose jowled dog slobbering. Now according to my spell check 'jowled .does not exist, words just form themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "thelma" is a minor medical condition.
      "How's Joyce?"
      "Oh not so good. Her thelmas are playing her up again."

      Delete
  11. Interesting, YP.
    Lately we've had so many occasions when our "ghasts" have never been so "flabbered", and no doubt will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
    One thing about all the musical chairs surrounding No10 - furniture removals companies must be doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish they had accidentally put Johnson in the removals wagon and pushed it over Beachy Head.

      Delete
  12. A very useful word. They say the older we get the more words we know and use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are "they"? The people who run the old folks' home?

      Delete
  13. Until reading this post, I rather thought that most Americans say flabbergasted and most Englishmen say gobsmacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my response to your countryman - Steve Reed.

      Delete
  14. It's a bit like being gobsmacked, isn't it? That's a very British word for basically the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Gob" was once considered to be an impolite term for a mouth. Maybe that is why I myself have always preferred "flabbergasted"

      Delete
  15. Well I will go to the foot of our stairs! You are a mine of Information YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay but please don't hit me with your pick axe Dave!

      Delete
  16. There is a lot to be flabbergasted about these days, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount there is to be flabbergasted about is flabbergasting.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits