23 October 2023

Circularity

Though I say it myself, I think the image shown above is a good one. I have walked along that path a hundred times or more. It leads to Lenny Hill on the edge of Blacka Moor, close to the suburban village of Dore where the Laitner murders took place in 1983.

I took the photograph at around midday yesterday having decided to grab some exercise before preparing yet another Sunday dinner. Once again, I drove Clint out of the city, past Whirlow Brook Park, "The Dore Moor Inn" and the Sheffield Tigers rugby ground. Then I turned down Whitelow Lane before taking a right to the end of Shorts Lane and that's where I parked Clint. He has waited there many times.

Having been rather unwell for a few days, I was not going to rush the circular walk which usually takes me just over an hour so I simply plodded along steadily taking occasional rests. I arrived in the hideaway hamlet of Totley Bents where I took yet another picture of "The Cricket Inn" across the council-owned recreation ground.  Sunshine was playing hide and seek with drifting cumulus clouds as you might tell from the front shadow.

Before long, I passed palatial Avenue Farm on my way to Redcar Brook. Water from Storm Babet continues to drain from the moors and Redcar Brook was racing to its meeting with Blacka Brook and thence to Limb Brook and The River Sheaf after which Sheffield was named... field by the Sheaf > Sheafeld > Sheffield.
I had snapped a picture from roughly the same spot on August 1st 2022 when the stream had totally dried up following our driest July on record...
Finally, a picture I took at the old weir on Redcar Brook near Avenue Farm. Usually, the water is no more than a trickle at that point but yesterday it was making thunder.
Even a short walk is good medicine for the soul and now I was happy to get stuck into the peeling, chopping, stirring and roasting ahead of the arrival of Princess Phoebe and her entourage.

27 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us on that walk. Some glorious scenery there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could come along SM. Next time I advise that you wear walking boots instead of stiletto heels!

      Delete
  2. Nothing like a good walk to make one feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctors should sometimes write "Undertake two mile walk" on their prescription pads.

      Delete
  3. I bet those waterways sounded fabulous. I'm glad you took your therapeutic walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a lot of roaring going on. After two or three housebound days it felt very good to be out there.

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos, all of them. Thank you. So, what's on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What WAS on the menu: roasted chicken, sage and onion stuffing, homemade gravy, Yorkshire puddings, roasted carrots and parsnips, minted peas, brussel sprouts and cranberry jelly.

      Delete
  5. They are all very nice photos. "Sheaf > Sheafeld > Sheffield". Is that how to play Wordle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be daft Andrew! There are only five letters in each Wordle word!

      Delete
    2. Ah, well there are five in sheaf, so I am on the way to being a skilled player.

      Delete
  6. I am not surprised that the walk did you good! Your Sunday dinner was even better for it, I imagine.
    It's a beautiful walk and of a comfortable length, manageable even if you don't have a lot of time or don't feel fit enough for a longer or more strenuous route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Just perfect and every time it is a bit different from the last time. Also you can do the walk clockwise or anticlockwise.

      Delete
  7. The fresh air will have done you good but take it slowly until you get up to full strength again. Beautiful pictures to soothe the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your wise advice ADDY. I know I am only operating at 60% strength at the moment. I may need to buy a few cans of spinach.

      Delete
  8. Excellent photos YP - the sunshine and blue sky make such a difference. So glad that your walk made you feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly I felt jiggered after it so I know I am still not quite myself.

      Delete
  9. It's good to walk through the changing seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and to sing "I think to myself - what a wonderful world!"

      Delete
  10. That first photo is so pretty that I made it my computer's background picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need a knighthood for it is a sufficient honour to have my picture on Mrs Barlow's computer!

      Delete
  11. A good walk does a world of good for us. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to take you along Mr Penguin but next time less talking please!

      Delete
  12. Lovely, Neil! I think it's great to see (and hear) the rushing waters like that! Hope all is well with Little Zach who might be born today! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you are feeling better and walking in such beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems to me that you have your health back. That was quite a "little" walk but mightily glad you took us along (without the effort!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful light and scenery! It must have felt good to get out for a walk. Glad you're back on your feet, more or less.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits