3 October 2023

Silverfish

Silverfish - actual size

Throughout time, humans have lived in close proximity to insects. Just today I read that in several French cities there has been an explosion in the bed bug population while over in Africa mosquitoes  continues to spread death as they are the prime carriers of malaria. Fortunately, most insects are benign and hardly trouble us at all. In fact, they mainly benefit our lives.

Here in northern England, insects are most obvious in the summertime. Out in our suburban garden, insects flit between plants or crawl in the grass. There are thousands of them. Long ago, Jimmie Rodgers recorded a song called "An English Country Garden" in which he asked: "How many insects come here and go/ Through our English country garden? " Well for the life of me Jimmie I cannot say but a hell of a lot.

Sometimes, I visit our downstairs toilet before I go to bed and very often I spot an insect on our vinyl flooring. I have only ever seen one on its own and I have never seen one in the daytime.

It scuttles about and obviously does not appreciate the electric light. See the image at the top - it is a silverfish  and it loves dark, damp places like benighted bathrooms. I guess that if we have one silverfish there must be more but I have never seen them. If you get an infestation they can cause minor damage  but I think that our silverfish must be living off dead skin particles and dandruff.       

You are probably curious about how silverfish reproduce so I have undertaken extensive research (read the Wikipedia page) to satisfy your curiosity...

"Before silverfish reproduce, they carry out a ritual involving three phases, which may last over half an hour. In the first phase, the male and female stand face to face, their vibrating antennae touching, then repeatedly back off and return to this position. In the second phase, the male runs away and the female chases him. In the third phase, the male and female stand side by side and head to tail, with the male vibrating his tail against the female. Finally, the male lays a spermatophore, a sperm capsule covered in gossamer, which the female takes into her body via her ovipositor to fertilize her eggs. The female lays groups of fewer than 60 eggs at once, deposited in small crevices. The eggs are oval-shaped, whitish, about 0.8 mm (0.031 in) long, and take between two weeks and two months to hatch. A silverfish usually lays fewer than 100 eggs in her lifetime..."

I don't know what our silverfish is called but I shall call him Hector after the famed Trojan warrior of Greek mythology. A few minutes ago, he was there on the floor once again when I went into the toilet to urinate. I told him he shouldn't be looking.
AI image of a silverfish talking to a spider

30 comments:

  1. Oh my! I love you so much! And, we have had many the walk and many the discussions about buildings, graveyards, churches, sheep and sports teams, rivers and your cars. But, I really think you must be loosing your mind!! I am more that 10 years older than you are, my brother, but......I think you are loosing your mind!! Silverfish?? Really??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My humble apologies for picking a blog subject that did not meet with your approval Donna. You know how much I value your presence in my blog and in my life. Even though I have lost my mind, I shall try harder in future.

      Delete
  2. We have to be careful and have good knowledge when it comes to insects. I certainly appreciate the people who can recognize insects like naming the butterflies that go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very bad at naming plants and trees, insects and birds but I know a silverfish when I see one.

      Delete
  3. Hector sounds far too polite to have been looking. I am sure he has averted his eyes for the light anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hector can also be a verb. To hector = to talk to someone in a bullying, domineering way.

      Delete
  4. I believe they are the oldest of all insects, having remained exactly the same for millions of years. No evolution for Silverfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same with woodlice though of course they are not insects, they are crustaceans.

      Delete
  5. They eat your books and clothing. Begone from my home silverfish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would have to have a big infestation for that to happen

      Delete
  6. I thought silverfish were the ones who liked to eat books. Well, paper. I don't think I have seen one for a very long time. Perhaps our spiders eat them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be food to spiders - that's true.

      Delete
  7. We also have a downstairs bathroom. We live in a bungalow. I like to see spiders 🕷 in the house. We have a resident one called "Spider".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great name for a spider - highly original!

      Delete
  8. My house is about 100 years old. I occasionally find woodlice. They are the last of the true terrestrial crustaceans and I rather like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that the woodlice think that you are the last of the true terrestrial crustaceans!

      Delete
  9. I must admit that although I grew up around thousands of silverfish in Florida (we had tons of them in our house) I never stopped to think about their mating rituals! They do eat book binding and certain kinds of paper and old photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more of a problem in sub-tropical Florida where it is easier for them to thrive.

      Delete
  10. I am marveling at the ease of access to detailed information. At your fingertips details about the mating rituals of bugs. 30 years ago finding that would have required a lengthy visit to a University Library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Mr P. When I did my degree in the mid-seventies there were no personal computers. Accessing knowledge was so much harder.

      Delete
  11. Well, think about this- Hector may be Helen and if so, could give you a hundred more Hectors and Helens. If it were me, I might nip them in the bud. So to speak. And silverfish do damage to books and to other paper items. You really do not want an infestation of these guys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have lived here for 34 years and I have never seen any silverfish damage Mary. I suspect that would be more of a worry in sub-tropical Florida where the silverfish probably mate constantly.

      Delete
    2. You are probably right.

      Delete
  12. Whenever I see a silverfish in my home, I smoosh it. I'm always amazed that they just sort of disintegrate when I do. I can't have them squirming around my home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is "smoosh" another way of saying "murder" Ellen?

      Delete
  13. Shirley will think your cleaning standards are slipping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My childhood home was overrun with silverfish. We would lie on the rug in front of the fire and see them scurrying around the hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen any silverfish for a good few decades. I think they like to hang out in damp conditions in which case I think he's trying to tell you something.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can't recall seeing silverfish here in the house. I do get the occasional baby gecko and spiders with very long legs. They tend to come indoors when I leave the patio window open all day for the dog to come in and out. I think she frightens most things away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is an expression which covers this: TMI!!!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits