19 October 2023

Southernmost

Map to show location of Navarino Island, Chile

Google Streetview even got to Puerto Toro in 2015. Situated on the east coast of Navarino Island, Chile, it is the southernmost permanent settlement in the world. Okay there are a few research stations in Antarctica but these are not proper communities as their populations are forever changing with polar researchers and support staff always coming and going.

Puerto Toro is a little fishing port with a population of 36. It was established during the Tierra del Fuego Gold Rush of the 1890's but now it focuses upon the "centolla" or southern king crab. Like Longyearbyen, Puerto Toro's environment is defined as "tundra" with an average temperature of 2.7C throughout the year. However, unlike that desolate little town in Svalbard, there is a lot of greenery around Puerto Toro.

The Streetview photographer appears to have hiked around the place and in one of my chosen "snips" you can see his shadow with the camera rising from a backpack. It's funny how Streetview will sometimes throw up strange images like that one.

To be frank, there's not much to Puerto Toro. and there isn't even a road to connect the settlement with Port Williams - the largest settlement on Navarino Island. It seems like the end of the world and I suppose it is. I would love to go there but I guess that this blogpost is the closest I will ever get...

Welcome to Puerto Toro
The little Catholic church in Puerto Toro
Two hundred yards from the church - a place to sit and wonder

The fishing wharf
Shadow of the Streetview man

28 comments:

  1. It looks cold in the photos but I am sure the people are very warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With only 36 people there it might be hard to find anybody!

      Delete
  2. It's picturesque, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but it might be quite brutal in wintertime.

      Delete
  3. Interesting place. There's no other place on earth like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is the closest I will ever get too. Way too cold for me down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could buy some thermal underwear Elsie!

      Delete
  5. I wonder if the person next to Mr. (or Mrs.) Streetview is also the one we can see on the path next to the church.
    If I had to chose between Puerto Toro and Longyearbyen, I guess the southernmost settlement would be my choice. But, thankfully, it is highly unlikely that I ever need to decide on moving to either place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know, I think you are right about the person by the church but I could only confirm it by revisiting Streetview and checking the movement of that figure.

      Delete
  6. When my daughter went backpacking in 2018, she stayed there. She also went walking in the hills nearby where there wild pumas roam. Fortunately she didn't tell me that until she got home again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's something to remember forever.

      Delete
  7. I am not sure if I am impressed with Google's ability to go everywhere or whether I should be somewhat concerned. Either way, Streetview man probably got paid to do something he loves. What a job. I wonder if Google needs someone to create content for parts of Yorkshire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every inch of Yorkshire seems to be covered - apart from the areas that are away from roads.

      Delete
  8. Do the spudatoes grow there like they do in Chile?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would be an interesting day out from civilisation as we know it. The locals must know everyone on the island - difficult not to when there are only 36 inhabitants. It would be an alien world to most of us. I wonder if Amazon deliver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pay attention at the back! Puerto Toro has 36 inhabitants but the island of Navarino has many more - around 2000 in fact. Amazon is in Brazil (mostly).

      Delete
    2. Doesn't look like such a bad place to live to be honest. At least there's trees and water.

      Delete
    3. I think the imagery must have been collected in a Puerto Toro summer.

      Delete
  10. Well, this looks less bleak than Svalbard. It's amazing where Google Street View goes. I was amused to find that someone walked all over the tiny speck of Pitcairn Island, in the Pacific, and posted the results to Google Street View.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip about Pitcairn Steve. I will certainly pay a virtual visit.

      Delete
  11. I had never checked Streetview around my own neighborhood but after your post today, decided it was about time. I cruised around the block but didn't see anything interesting other than the pictures were from a decade ago and quite a bit has changed with landscaping, house color, additions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some urban areas you can sometimes find four or five sets of imagery.

      Delete
  12. Interesting, Neil.
    I'm waiting for your babies to be born. Should be very, very soon now!
    I'll be gone for a long weekend - heading to Houston, TX where my middle son and his family live now. I'll catch up with your blog when I get back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think there will be a medical intervention on Tuesday so we are expecting Little Zach down in London to arrive that day... Have fun in Houston Ellen!

      Delete
  13. Looks about as interesting as Stanley, North Dakota. 'Course, there were those cold winter nights when we could get some evil adult to buy us some beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a song about Stanley but what does it rhyme with? Oh I know - manly.
      Oh I was raised in Stanley
      Where even the women were manly
      Though I ain't been back for quite a while
      Memories of Stanley still make me smile.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits