10 October 2023

Yesterday

I was wearing my birthday boots for the first time. Clint was safely parked near Leadmill Bridge. For early October it was a gorgeous day and there was no need to don a jacket.

To tell you the truth, I have not been feeling 100% since my episode with the antibiotics so the walk I planned wasn't very long. Just over three miles in the middle of The Hope Valley.
Above - The River Derwent babbles through The Hope Valley on its way to Derby where soon afterwards it meets up with The River Trent near Long Eaton. Below - hawthorn berries near the river are prolific this year.
And a mummy duck sat with a daddy duck on a long rock in the middle of the river, basking in a beam of sunlight that pierced the leaf canopy. 
I had a long walk up the valley side and I was sweating by the time I reached Offerton Hall. Just like last time I was there, a slavering Rottweiler ran up to the wrought iron gates barking in a blood curdling manner so I didn't hang about.
Earlier, close to the river, I had passed a sugar beet field where I spotted this original bird scarer.
And there was also a one-off scarecrow with a flat yellow head. Arguably, he belongs in an art gallery rather than a beet field.
Towards the end of my circular walk, I followed the path to Callow Farm spotting this simple scene before I got there
Beyond Callow Farm, you pass through Callow Woods. My new boots were starting to give me a bit of gyp by this point - just my left boot and only when going downhill. I might have to stretch that boot a little or make sure that the lacing is looser near the ball of my left foot. Comfortable footwear is vital on long walks.
By the way, if John Lennon had not been assassinated by a nutcase in 1980, he would have been 83 years old yesterday.

36 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous sights along your walk; peace filled and tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Hamas. No Afghan earthquake. No Sunak. Just two feet following each other.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pair of new shoes to break in. I'm not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It often takes a while to bed shoes in so that they become comfortable.

      Delete
  4. I like the picture with the gate the most, as a composition. The scene itself makes me think of the woods in "House at Pooh Corner."

    Re "gyp," even before I got to that it occurred to me that you were bold setting out on such a walk in day-old shoes. Meanwhile, you sent me down a rabbit-hole as to the word. After a bit of internet searching (https://greensdictofslang.com/entry/4kgg6ky#:~:text=2,the%20state%20of%20feeling%20unwell. ), I think we should revert to spelling this word as "jip." "Gyp" strikes me as a spelling which has been adopted by analogy to the now unacceptable "gypsie."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point but it is clear that "gyp" is the most common spelling of the word so that's why I am sticking with it.

      Delete
  5. The path to Callow Farm has an almost dream-like quality to it - a wonderful picture!
    You did well in breaking in your new boots on a relatively short walk. I am sure with adjusted lacing, the left boot will be fine next time you wear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I turned the corner and saw the sight of the gate ahead and the silver birches to the left, I stopped in my tracks. Such a simple scene but I was briefly entranced.

      Delete
  6. Good idea to loosen the laces, I do the same with new shoes. Your walk was lovely, such pretty views and I like the bird scarer and the scarecrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those big yellow balls with the "eyes". There were three of them.

      Delete
  7. It's difficult to comprehend that JL would be 83. Great pictures and a great walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will be forty forever as the rest of us grow old.

      Delete
  8. Did you look for mushroom in those woods? There should be Girolles and Cepes about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike you, I would not have the confidence to forage for edible mushrooms. I would be scared of blowing my mind.

      Delete
  9. Yes, all the best people share their birthday with Sharon Osbourne, David Cameron and Jackson Browne, rather than the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I presume that your birthday is on April 20th which is when Adolf Hitler was born.

      Delete
    2. An odd thing both to know and to presume.

      Delete
    3. Interestingly one of your musical heroes was also born on April 20th - Luther Vandross.

      Delete
  10. Perfect weather, perfect scenery and a perfect walk. Pity about the new boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am sure the new boots will come good Carol.

      Delete
  11. Nice walk, thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Maui said in "Moana" - "You're welcome!"

      Delete
  12. I like new hiking boots but I always wish that someone else wore them for the first dozen miles before I got them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stuffed a half brick in that boot. Hopefully, it will do the trick.

      Delete
  13. You live in a very beautiful place. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. That's kind of you to say so.

      Delete
  14. That "simple scene" is absolutely gorgeous, Neil! You will win a prize with that one!
    That was a lovely hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene arrested me even though it is so simple. It was the light and the silver birches and the way the path wound up to the gate.

      Delete
  15. I just can't conceive of John Lennon at 83.

    Glad you got out for a good walk. Three miles is nothing to sneeze at. Love the hawthorn berries but I'm sorry there's no picture of the slavering Rottweiler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too scared to take a photo of that rabid dog.

      Delete
  16. The photo "on the path to Callow Farm" is perfect and one can almost hear birdsong and smell the scent of the woods. Thanks for sharing such a serene & lovely shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Damselfly. Thanks for calling by.

      Delete
  17. I hope you soon break your new shoes in. After many years one of my walking shoes is suddenly chaffing the top of my foot for no apparent reason. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the fifth identical pair of walking boots I have had in recent years - all by the same company. Unfortunately you cannot get them resoled. As I say, when you walk for miles your footwear must be comfortable.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits