24 August 2026

Earworm

Until researching googling "The Carnival Is Over", I never realised that it owed such a lot to a Russian folk song called "Stenka Razin".  That song celebrates the life of a legendary cossack who led a revolt against the nobility and their agents in southern Russia in the late seventeenth century.

In the mid-sixties it was re-interpreted by British songwriter and producer Tom Springfield who was Dusty Springfield's older brother. He wrote several songs for The Springfields and for The Seekers who were an Australian band with a special songstress - the late Judith Durham.

Her voice was plaintive and pure and it connected easily with people. It was really she who gave the song traction in the English speaking world.

"The Carnival is Over" is about what happens when something comes to an end - a relationship, a voyage, a carnival. Most humans can relate to that particular  feeling of sadness when something good finishes and you cannot do a damned thing about it. The world must move on.

Pierrot and Columbine are mentioned in the song but why and who were they? They were the names of two stock characters in the old Italian pantomime-like theatre known as Commedia del'arte. Pierrot was a sad clown in love with the beautiful Columbine who breaks his heart by leaving him for Harlequin.

The song became a big hit here in Great Britain in 1965, denying "My Generation" by The Who  the number one position in the musical charts. It has been my inner earworm for the last couple of days and maybe it will become yours too. Tee-hee! That's partly why I am passing it on.

Sing it baby!
Say goodbye my own true lover
As we sing a lover's song
How it breaks my heart to leave you
Now the carnival is gone

High above the dawn is waiting
And my tears are falling rain
For the carnival is over
We may never meet again

Like a drum, my heart was beating
And your kiss was sweet as wine
But the joys of love are fleeting
For Pierrot and Columbine

Now the harbour light is calling
This will be our last goodbye
Though the carnival is over
I will love you till I die

Like a drum, my heart was beating
And your kiss was sweet as wine
But the joys of love are fleeting
For Pierrot and Columbine

Now the harbour light is calling
This will be our last goodbye
Though the carnival is over
I will love you till I die
Though the carnival is over
I will love you till I die

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits