Regular readers of this humble Yorkshire blog may recall that my football team - Hull City A.F.C. were promoted to The Premier League last season. We won the play-off final against Middlesbrough at Wembley on May 28th.
Well today we played our first match of the new season. It was a home game against the redoubtable Manchester United. You may have heard of them. There are several individual players on Manchester United's books who cost more than Hull City's entire squad. Their top players are paid about £170,000 a week or $232,000 US.
We were as delighted and thrilled as the rest of The Tigers' Tribe. What a way to start the season!
Over in the far corner were three thousand travelling Manchester United fans. How we laughed when the stadium announcer told them that the 15.05 and 17.05 trains back to Manchester had both been cancelled! It was like rubbing salt in their wounds.
Regarding their star-studded team, it was as if they were half-asleep or operating in third gear. But our cut price team of assorted characters from here and there were really up for it, playing like true Tigers with desire and togetherness. Two nil - so brilliant!
It was tonight's headline match on the long-running BBC football highlights programme, "Match of the Day".
Congrats to your team! May they have a terrific season!
ReplyDeleteIt will be hard but maybe we will be like David fighting the Goliaths.
DeleteWell done to Hull!
ReplyDeleteI've always found MUFC far too arrogant for their (limited) ability since the days of Fergie -living off of a past and no longer delivering the goods.
Towards the end of last season they looked like they were rediscovering their mojo but yesterday they were flat - without sparkle.
Delete170,000 pounds per week?? That's 323, 475 Australian dollars!! Seems a little obscene to me. I hope at least they are making wise investments for their retirement and old age needs.
ReplyDeleteMost footballers are thick so they need financial advisers. If I was a financial adviser I would advise them to give their money to me for safe keeping.
DeleteSuch a clever bunny you are...
DeleteGimme a carrot doc!
DeleteEven some interest in Oz given that young Lucas Herrington came on for the second half. Though tbh I wouldn't have taken much or indeed any interest but for your allegiance.
ReplyDeleteWhen I saw tall, dashing, handsome Lucas Herrington come on I naturally thought of you Marcellous!
DeleteI immediately thought of you as the win was reported on the news.
ReplyDeleteDo you want to be the secretary of the Hampshire branch of The Hull City Supporters Club?
DeleteI don't know the off side rule!
DeleteOh that's easy Poppy. It's the opposite of the on side rule.
DeleteThe player payments are beyond absurd. How did your football get into such a state? I don't know what happened many years ago when your football all began to go wrong, and I'd be happy to be educated.
ReplyDeleteDid Man U have its best players in the team. Whatever, the Hull victory over Man U is quite an achievement. Well done those boys.
I'd hate to be on the train after each of those cancellations.
Man United put out their strongest team. I think football arguably "went wrong" when that greedy scumbag Rupert Murdoch appeared on the scene. Any idea which country he is from?
DeleteHe's a citizen of the US.
DeleteMy research tells me that he was born and raised in Melbourne. Isn't that where you live?
DeleteWell done, Tigers! Blackburn won as well. 😁
ReplyDeleteBlackburn? Never heard of them but there is a nature reserve in north east Sheffield called Blackburn Meadows. It was once a sewage disposal site.
DeleteAll that money, and not enough balls in the goal.
ReplyDeleteWhat sort of balls?
DeleteWell done Hull City. I hope they manage to maintain their down-to-earth attitude and aren't spoilt by success.
ReplyDeleteIf we stay up it will be a miracle Janice.
DeleteIt was a brilliant game! Enjoyed watching it on TV from here.
ReplyDeleteAmazing to think that people from across the world watched that game.
DeleteI'm originally from Hull.
DeleteThoroughgoing Congratulations! (That is the usual thing to say, right? I don't know from sports much.)
ReplyDeleteBeing a hamster you only have little legs. I guess your favourite sport is running on the tread-wheel.
DeleteI am not interested in football. The only sport that I follow in anyway is F1 - interestingly, I don’t think most F1 drivers are “thick”, I guess that goes with the Ned to understand aerodynamics, downforce, car set up etc.
ReplyDeleteI dislike F1 because of its huge carbon footprint and because it celebrates speed in fast cars. No - not for me.
Delete'Dare to Dream'
ReplyDeleteHa! I have a flag with that on here in this study.
Delete