3 December 2018

QPR

At Loftus Road before yesterday's match
We drove down to London on Saturday morning. Presently, our son Ian is living in a £2 million house between the West London suburbs of Hammersmith and Chiswick. I know that that is what the house is worth because its owner has recently accepted a bid of that size from a rich buyer. That means that Ian and his renting entourage will have to depart the place at the start of February.

He made us a lovely vegan lunch and then we set off walking to Shepherd's Bush - just over a mile away. We dropped Shirley off at the temple of shopping known as The Westfield Centre before carrying on to a football stadium I had never visited before -  Loftus Road, the home of Queen's Park Rangers.

They were playing the team I have supported since 1963 - Hull City A.F.C.. City are currently in a precarious position near the base of English football's second tier - The Championship. However, we were a goal up within ten minutes and in a very entertaining match we came out on top - beating QPR by three goals to two. Ian was hoarse by the end of the match and a huge smile was fixed upon my face. There's nothing quite like seeing your team win away:-
"We're winning away! 
We're winning away!
How shit must you be!
We're winning away!"
Afterwards, we picked Shirley up from The Westfield Centre and walked back towards Ian's very expensive residence. We stopped off at "The Thatched House" pub-restaurant for a couple of celebratory drinks and then carried on to the "Sagar" South Indian restaurant for a delightful vegetarian meal.

On Sunday morning I overslept before standing under a rainforest shower as soap suds slipped down my manly physique. Then Ian called an Uber taxi and we travelled to the old BBC building at White City for breakfast in an exclusive members-only club that operates under the Soho House banner. Not really my thing at all. As I said recently, I''m the kind of guy who favours frugality. However, the breakfast was very good and in  the rooftop pool area there were marvellous panoramic views over London.

We sped north via The North Circular Road. Three hours and thirty minutes from door to door. Not bad but not as good as QPR 2 - Hull City 3. Up The Tigers!

12 comments:

  1. I've seen Ian's place on the Bosh! videos and it's very nice so the price tag is no surprise.

    Sounds like you had a very enjoyable weekend. I'm about to tuck into a vegan cinnamon scroll my son and his fiance dropped in for me. It may be good but I will not be converted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have said to a lot of people that you don't have to be a vegan to eat vegan meals. After all,bananas and apples are vegan and so are most salads.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! It is great witnessing one's team win; I ised to support our local basketball team in my teens and had much fun watching their games back then.
    Rooftop views are a good change of perspective, I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have probably blogged about being a basketball supporter before but as you know I am a forgetful fellow. Thanks for calling by once more.

      Delete
    2. Actually, I don't think I have mentioned it before. I wouldn't know in what context; I have not blogged all that much about my teenage years.

      Delete
    3. Well there's a new blogpost topic for you then! But there are no doubt some things you would be advised to omit.

      Delete
  3. So, how many professional teams are in all of England? Did you ever play football as a young man? I don't recall you ever saying....(You will notice that I started the first sentence with "so", just to make your blood boil and ruin the ecstatic high you are on from your team winning while away!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the top four divisions of English football there are ninety two professional teams... but three of them are from Wales! Scotland has 42 big teams but many of the players in their lower divisions are semi-professional. I played rugby in what Americans call "high school" and I was pretty good at it too but I have always preferred watching what Americans call "soccer". My blood temperature is now decreasing.

      Delete
  4. "After all,bananas and apples are vegan and so are most salads." Apparently NOT if they have been pollinated by bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only ever eat apples and pears that have been pollinated by plantation or orchard workers using feather dusters or cotton buds.

      Delete
  5. I don't understand the draw of sports competitions but I'm happy for you anyway :D

    Does Ian expect to have much difficulty finding a suitable place to move to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh...life spent in the lap of luxury, if only for a brief moment...is to be lapped up and enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits