31 December 2018

AWARDS

Well, my friends, the time has come
Raise the roof and have some fun
Throw away the work to be done
Let the music play on
Everybody sing, everybody dance
Lose yourself in wild romance, we going to
Parti', karamu', fiesta, forever
Come on and sing along
We're going to parti', karamu', fiesta, forever
Come on and sing along

All night long (all night), all night (all night)
All night long (all night), all night (all night)
All night long (all night), all night (all night)
All night long (all night), ooh yeah (all night)

Down at our local pub, the party is indeed still going on in the upstairs room. I slipped away quietly having imbibed far too many foaming quarts of English ale. 

"The Banner Cross Hotel" was the secret location for the tenth annual Laughing Horse Blogging Awards and I must report that the place was packed. Lady bloggers and blog observers were dressed in their most sparkly gladrags, dancing in clouds of  Christmas gift perfume while the gentlemen wore sober evening suits - apart from blogging  legend John Gray who had arrived as Captain Jack Sparrow - mistakenly believing that this was a fancy dress event.

We enjoyed a fine Yorkshire buffet. Indeed the pub's trestle tables groaned under the weight of the celebratory fayre. A giant steak pie had been prepared by the "Banner Crust" bakery and there were cauldrons of minted mushy peas and rich onion gravy. Homemade scotch eggs were meticulously piled up like a pyramid and there were flaky sausage rolls, generous slices of pork pie, Whitby cod fish fingers and individual rhubarb puddings with fresh creme anglais (i.e. custard).

It was good to meet up with bloggers and blog visitors old and new. Sitting at a keyboard creating blogposts, it is sometimes easy to forget that the people we meet through blogging are real. They breathe, they walk around. They exist.

I danced with Meike Riley for ages. How that girl can shimmy! Then Jennifer Barlow tapped Meike on the shoulder and we in turn danced to "Oops!...I Did it Again" by Britney Spears before her shoulder was similarly tapped by Sue from Lincolnshire. What number did we dance to? Oh yes - it was "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie. See above. I was exhausted and when regular blog visitor Bonnie tried to pull me to my feet I was obliged to decline. 

On the little stage, Red the Canadian sound man was having trouble overcoming feedback problems but finally he got the mike working properly. Nervously, I mounted the stage and asked the disc jockey - Lee "Tamborine"George from Queensland to cut the music. "Okay Yorkie! Your wish is my command!"  It was time to announce the Laughing Horse Blog Award Winners for 2018.

"Get on with it!" yelled Steve Reed who had consumed far too many martinis and had just raced up north in a black cab from Heathrow following his recent Florida drug run.

"Yeah! Get on with it! LOL!" commanded a giggly Briony from Brighton who had a peacock feather fascinator on her bonce. Talk about dog's dinners!

I began, "Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking, I would simply like to welcome you here this evening. The Laughing Horse Awards Committee have instructed me to thank you one and all for your services to blogging but as you know, tonight is all about winners. We have five sub-awards to announce before the name of the overall Blogger of the Year is revealed..."

A buzz of anticipation surged around the room like an electric current.
___________________________________________________
These were the five sub-awards:-
CANADIAN BLOGGER OF THE YEAR
This deserved award goes to Jenny O in Nova Scotia, Canada for "Procrastinating Donkey". Jenny's "Poetry Monday" feature is a nice post to look forward to each week. In general, her blog is upbeat and cheerful and she is also in the habit of leaving interested and supportive comments on other people's blogs. Though her style is honest and true, she prefers to retain an air of anonymity - Jenny O is not her real name. However, Canadians everywhere should rejoice! One of your own has been officially recognised. Congratulations Jenny O!



LONG SERVICE AWARD
This equally deserved award goes to Robert Brague in Canton, Georgia USA for "Rhymes With Plague". Like an old steam train, this blog has been puffing along for eleven years. Bob brings us news of his family, musical reflections and intellectual forays into the mysterious worlds of science and mathematics. He poses many questions and declares in his sidebar that he is "exceedingly handsome, intelligent and thorough".  At 77 years of age, Bob proves that it is both possible and desirable to remain inquisitive even as we enter old age.


BEST BLOG FROM SOUTH CAROLINA
Those of us who have travelled with Jennifer Barlow on her blogging journey have seen her blossom in the past year after at last securing a new job that she really enjoys and more recently a home of her own. Jennifer's blog is called "Sparrow Tree Journal" and characters that figure in it are her husband - The Fish Guy and their dogs George and Ginger. The boss of the house is a parrot called Marco. Jennifer is not a Trump supporter but she is very supportive of  other bloggers that she has attached to. Keep up the good blogging work Jennifer!



LONDON BLOGGER OF THE YEAR
Named "Blogger of the Year" in 2016, Steve Reed in West Hampstead, London continues to impress the judging panel with his erudite and well illustrated blog - "Shadows and Light". His photographs are  often quirky for Steve notices things that most of us would tend to overlook. He must consume plenty of fibre because his blogposts are very regular. It is rare for him to miss a single day. Many of his loyal visitors admire his relationship with his happy, squirrel-crazy dog - Olga. Meantime Dave, Steve's music teacher husband, lurks in the background. 
BLOGGING THROUGH ADVERSITY AWARD 
Is there a more popular blogger in the blogosphere that Mr John Gray from North Wales? He wears his heart on his sleeve and over the last twelve years  his ongoing tale of life's ups and downs has engaged hundreds, nay thousands of visitors  from across the world. However, this year we were all shocked and saddened to learn about his marriage ending and we felt some of John's pain. Yet, he kept going with "Going Gently" - publishing posts regularly and putting on a brave face even when his heart was breaking. That is why Laughing Horse have again acknowledged his services to blogging. Incidentally, he was the overall blogger of the year back in 2010.
_________________________________________________________

OVERALL BLOGGER OF 
THE YEAR FOR 2018
Unfortunately, Mary Moon - author of "Bless our Hearts" was not present in "The Banner Cross Hotel" to receive her prestigious award. She is currently on holiday in Mexico with her husband. The judging panel felt that Mary's blog represents the best in blogging. It is a platform upon which she reveals true tales from her generally happy life in Lloyd, North Florida. Mary has passions and opinions and she is not afraid to reveal them. She has a special way with words. Underpinning it all is her family life, including her grandchildren with whom she is utterly besotted. Mary is not afraid to touch upon her insecurities as well as her strengths. She is both humane and human and in the opinion of the Laughing Horse team, she is living the true American dream - warm and earthy and real - not the plastic fantasy  one that  is often fallaciously suggested in films, glossy magazines and trashy novels. Congratulations Mary Moon!
As you can see The Blogger of The Year - Ms Mary Moon
was overwhelmed with unbridled joy when she received her
award from Lionel Richie who is also currently holidaying 
in Cozumel, Mexico.

35 comments:

  1. Wonderful choice and all well said, you are terrific beef gravy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for calling by "Unknown". It is a shame that your parents didn't give you a proper name like Muriel if you are female or Cyril if you are male. Have a Happy New Year my friend!

      Delete
  2. That's about the very best choice you could have made, Neil. I adore Mary and her blog is one of my all time favorites. It's rare to find a blogger with such a gift for writing. Congratulations Mary!!! We love you! ❤ ❤ ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your graciousness in defeat is endearing Jennifer but at least you did pick up one of the sub-awards and a bumper box of "Pieces of Eight" parrot seed.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Mary and to all the others as well! So many wonderful blogs to read by many very special people. Thank you Sir Pudding for giving recognition where deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I there had been an award for supportive comments you would have got it Bonnie. Happy New Year my Missouri crataegus punctata!

      Delete
  4. A worthy winner
    And a funny post
    Thank you dearheart xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the best to you in 2019 John. As the song says, "Things can only get better".

      Delete
  5. I guess the bosh boys didn't get to cater .... Although why would they, they are not caterers.....


    You've encouraged me to check out a new blog or two and of course for those I already read I know how well deserved their accolades are!

    Good job, pud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers cobber! Happy New Year Kylie!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations to all the award winners. I won't sulk. Not much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Can't stop humming All Night Long now...)

      Delete
    2. Good heavens - you were so tiddly when Paul arrived to drive you back to Lincolnshire! Pushing you on to the back seat was like wedging an awkward filly into the stalls at Market Rasen racecourse!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to Ms Moon....I'm sure she will make merry having received such an illustrious award.

    I didn't party all night long - those nights are long gone...but I did see the New Year in, finally drawing the curtain around 2 am. I enjoyed a very pleasant evening, nonetheless.

    May 2019 treat you and your family most kindly, Yorkie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I don't understand. If you were still in Queensland who the hell was the DJ in the corner last night? Some damned impostor! Happy New Year Lee!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations to all the well-deserved winners, and it sounds like the celebration was a grand slap-up.
    Wishing you and Mrs Pud, a Happy and Healthy New Year. Thank you for sharing your wonderful blog with us !
    Hugs
    Jo
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jo,
      Thanks for calling by once more. I wish you and your family all the best in 2019! Happy New Year!
      Regards,
      Neil
      (Yorkshire Pudding)

      Delete
  9. Oh, Mr. P.! The internet here in Mexico has been quite iffy lately and I only just read this! I can't tell you how honored I am to have received such a prestigious award from one of my fellow bloggers! I know that there is a great deal of bantering here but honestly, you have touched my heart deeply. I'm about to go out and celebrate New Year's Eve (until at least 9:00 pm) here in Cozumel, Mexico with my husband and now I have something even more precious to celebrate.
    Big love and much humble appreciation from me. I am honored to be in such stellar company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog grew on me through the year thanks to Jennifer and Steve Reed. I have read a big sample of your past blogposts and have heard that consistent voice singing clear and true. Sometimes wise - sometimes funny but always intelligent and human. I am glad that you appreciate this gesture Mary. Happy New Year Blogger of the Year!

      Delete
  10. As always , I look forward to the laughing Horse awards. I can easily imagine how each award winner feels. For your blog followers we get a few more good blog recommendations. Mr. Pudding, keep on with these awards. They are not only fun but give us something to look for in other blogs. You help increase the qualities of blogs and it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sorting the sound system out Red. It took a while but you go there in the end.I hope the flight back to Alberta was fine.

      Delete
  11. Worthy winners, all.

    Sorry I couldn't make it. I was fast asleep. Can't stand the pace these days! 😀
    A very happy New year, Mr pudding and family. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame you didn't make it over The Snake Pass Christina. I had saved a mini pork pie specially for you.

      Delete
  12. I am, as usual, late to the party or, as my father always put it, "a day late and a dollar short". It was a lovely party at the Banner Cross Hotel, and I was there, if only in my dreams (as Karen Carpenter might have said). I do thank the Academy, I mean, you, Neal, for this great honor/honour but also must note, observant man that I am, that in recognizing me with this Long Service Award you are recognizing yourself even more since your blog began a year before mine. Still, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth (see what I did there?) so thank one and all profusely. I do like to put things in context whenever possible, so here is the full quote (Neal gave you only a snippet) from my sidebar:

    "A reader in Oregon has requested a current photograph. For the thick of skull, I want to say that I am not exceedingly tall nor is Mrs. RWP exceedingly short. She is sitting in a chair; I am standing behind her and slightly to her right, your left. I am nothing if not thorough. Handsome and thorough. Exceedingly intelligent, very handsome, and thorough. I forgot humble."

    Finally, I want to thank Neal personally for not including the word "curmudgeon" in his tribute. As Red Skelton used to say, good night and may God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you appreciate the recognition Bob and I don't care a hoot that you deliberately mis-spelt my first name three times. Like Neil Armstrong, I'm bigger than that. Happy New Year to you and your devoted carer - the ever patient Mrs E. Brague.

      Delete
  13. I came here by way of Ms. Moon. I agree, she is a wonderful writer with a huge heart and well deserves this award.

    My mother was an English war bride so Sunday night dinner always involved Yorkshire pudding and every week mum would worry if they would be light and fluffy or hockey pucks. They were always tasty.

    I shall have to come back and read some of your posts. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for calling by Lily Cedar. I am pleased you agree that "Bless our Hearts" is a special blog. I am also pleased to learn that you are a connoisseur of Yorkshire puddings! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  14. This is a fun tradition, YP. Thank you for putting your time and effort into keeping it going, and for including me. Sorry I couldn't be at the ceremony; I spent nine hours with my mother in the ER instead (which sounds bad but much of it was just waiting for lab results, which were all unremarkable, and she is fine).

    Happy New Year, everybody :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. P. S. I nearly forgot to mention that if there's one lesson I've learned from your awards, it's that bribery pays off. If only I'd given you the rest of the money from my sock, I might have gotten the BIG award - lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh! Don't tell everybody Jenny-O! Your award was meritorious and had nothing to do with the parcel you air-mailed via Fed-Ex to my Yorkshire lair.

      Delete
  16. YP! Thank you SO MUCH for the recognition! Maybe all those martinis is why I don't remember awards night?! (I'm pretty sure I would have wound up wearing Briony's peacock fascinator, though -- so if that happened, or worse, keep it to yourself. :) )

    This is a great community-building tradition and I can't think of a better overall award recipient than Mary Moon. As I've told her several times, she is my blogging hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all bring something different to the party don't we Steve?

      Delete
  17. My feet are still a little sore from all the dancing, but it was well worth it! What a party!,, Congratulations to all winners, and thank you for organising this event, which is definitely the highlight in anyone's diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a relief to learn that you made it back to Deutschland! Though I had already left the awards ceremony, I heard that you were in what we Yorkshire folk call "a right state" and that at first your Asian taxi driver refused to drive you to Manchester Airport. You must have sobered up as you travelled over The Snake Pass. Happy New Year Dancing Queen!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits