30 December 2018

Reportage

Stanedge Lodge - the highest  property within Sheffield's city boundaries
 It is easy to lose track of time during the Christmas period. A common question is - what day is it today? Yesterday was December 29th.

Amongst other things, I drove up to Redmires Reservoirs before hoofing my way up to Stanedge Pole and then onward to Stanage Edge. It was a bright, breezy day with  various other walkers around. I made a point of smiling and saying "Hello" to everybody I passed. This greeting wasn't always reciprocated. Perhaps they thought I was an escaped convict.

When I got back to Clint, I read my current book in peace and after completing another engaging chapter I turned on Radio Humberside just before Jarrod Bowen scored Hull City's opening goal against league leaders - Leeds United. In the end we won by two goals to nil away from home. Bloody marvellous!
Stanage Edge yesterday afternoon
In the early evening, I nipped into the city centre to snap some Christmassy pictures and later we took Ian to an Indian restaurant in the suburb of Woodseats. We hadn't been to the "Kasmmiri Aroma" in ages which is strange because the curry fayre was excellent. It felt as if some genuine love had been put into the cooking and the portions were generous. The service was also pleasingly polite and efficient.

So that was yesterday. Today I am feeling rather stressed out ahead of tomorrow's Laughing Horse Blogging Awards - especially as Google HQ have removed some of the anticipated funding. Still, as entertainers will often say - the show must go on!
Christmas in Sheffield city centre

21 comments:

  1. Sheffield looks pretty with the lights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It was the first time I had wandered down town at nighttime over Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Hey Neil, your beautiful card arrived yesterday. I love it and I love the fact that it's from a charity. Oo normally buy UNICEF holiday cards, but this year the pretty "cardinals on American holly" stole my heart. Anyway, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *I* not *Oo*....oops!

      Delete
    2. That's okay. I know that that's how folk talk in South Carolina. "Oo gonna vote for Misser Trump, yes siree!" "Oo gonna to the mall Gregg. Oo'll see ya later honeypie y'all!"

      Delete
  3. "Anticipated funding" eh? Fame should be its own reward, don't you think? ha ha

    Lights of all kinds are my favourite part of Christmas. Except for the pie. Pie is good also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awards ceremonies do not come free Jenny. As I know you have ample funds in your bank and in other secret places, perhaps you would like to bankroll the proceedings?

      Delete
    2. My sock currently has seventy-five cents in it. Will that do?

      Delete
    3. That's like something that Fagin would have said in "Oliver Twist".

      Delete
  4. What a great walk. Yes, I say hello to everybody on my walks or bike trips. There are one or two regulars on the path who do not respond and I let them have their peace. Yesterday I met a young woman and we had a 20 minute visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you kept that secret from the ever suspicious Micro Manager!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a nice walk with some beautiful views. It's good to see the lights of Sheffield. I'm looking forward to your awards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to take you places Ms Bonnie.

      Delete
  6. Some would say I never know what day of the week it is.

    Over this past week, I must admit- I must be honest - I have to agree with their sentiments!

    I even considered installing a GPS in my brain to help me keep track...but I couldn't remember where I'd left my brain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps your furry friends have hidden it somewhere. How big is it? They may have thought it was a small rodent.

      Delete
    2. My two furry rascals are too well fed on their freshly-chopped up beef every afternoon for their dinner, and special cat foods each morning for their breakfast to worry about extending energy trying to catch rodents, Yorkie...or birds, for that matter.

      Also there are no rodents running around inside my cabin....other than me, of course...but then, I don't run...I hobble along with the help of my walking stick! :)

      Remy and Shama are indoor cats...so all wildlife, including me, is safe from their paws and claws.

      Delete
    3. Thank your for the clarification. Your brain seems to be in perfect working order.

      Delete
  7. I'm pretty sure that any old bloke who says hello to randoms on walks is a secret axe murderer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound of deep breathing and twigs cracking behind you.

      Delete
  8. Well the people of Lewis are a lot friendlier. I think I can say that, without exception, every person I meet on my walks has a few words to say as we pass. Occasionally complete strangers stop and chat.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits