1 September 2023

"Greensleeves"

What could be more English than "Greensleeves"?  Nobody knows who wrote it but almost certainly it was not King Henry VIII who was too busy fighting the Catholic church, chasing women and eating chicken drumsticks to compose beautiful music and charming lyrics. Besides there's a certain tenderness in the song that we most certainly would not associate with boorish Henry the Eighth.

The song was first officially registered with The London Stationers' Company in September 1580 but its history is most likely much longer than that.

Today there are a lot of versions of "Greensleeves" out there. Often they are instrumental versions with the lyrics oddly overlooked. Other versions are classical, performed by po-faced  trained singers. I wanted to share a version in which the singing would be foremost and the performers would appear to feel the meaning of the old words they were singing.

I chose this version by Peter Hollens and Tim Foust, filmed standing on a cliff at sundown on the west coat of America - Oregon in fact. It is a timeless song about longing, love and rejection - universal themes that may cause listeners to reflect upon our past experiences of romance.
Alas, my love, you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
For I have loved you well and long
Delighting in your company

Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight
Greensleeves was my heart of gold
And who but my lady greensleeves

Your vows you've broken, like my heart
Oh, why did you so enrapture me?
Now I remain in a world apart
But my heart remains in captivity

[Chorus]

I have been ready at your hand
To grant whatever you would crave
I have both wagered life and land
Your love and good-will for to have

[Chorus]

26 comments:

  1. A reference to the lack of handkerchiefs in Tudor England perhaps? " Seriously: "On Christmas Day In The Morning" are Victorian lyrics to this tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is thought that the colour green hinted at prostitution or at least sexual intercourse on green grass.

      Delete
    2. And here's me thinking it meant green velvet, an expensive fabric owned by upper classes.

      Delete
  2. That was lovely, thank you. We had to learn it in primary school but since then I never remembered more that the first two lines. The tune was the choice of every Mr Whippy
    ice cream van that trundled the streets every summer for a decade or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me chuckle because English ice cream vans also use "Greensleeves" to sell their cones and lollies.

      Delete
  3. This piece of music conjures up special memories for me. As a small child, I started having piano lessons. The usual method was to learn a piece with just the right hand one week, then the left hand the following week and then put the two hands together. in the third week. At some point, I was given Greensleeves to learn. I must have been about 9 years old. I was told just to learn the right hand, but I fell in love with the piece and learned both hands and hands together all on my own at home. I was so excited to show the piano teacher at my next lesson, but he was so enraged, he threw the piece of music up in the air and it landed under the grand piano. He then made me play scales instead for the whole of the lesson. When I got home in tears, my mother was so angry her chick had been wronged (remember she was the shrinking violet who wouldn't say boo to a goose and about whom I wrote in my post a couple of weeks ago), tore round there to have it out with him. He was in the middle of a lesson with the next pupil, but she made him crawl under the grand piano to retrieve the sheet of music. Next lesson, he patiently listened while I played it - with both hands!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I published this blogpost I never expected such a response. Thanks for sharing. I had a hateful piano teacher at the age of nine who put me off piano playing for life.

      Delete
    2. Wow. That teacher should have been proud of a pupil who had taught himself and done it well. Shame on him.

      Delete
  4. Mmm...today's rejections are totally different aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi! Carol - I'm dumping ya babe! I'm off out with Chardonnay now. She's got more tattoos.

      Delete
  5. Often with old traditional songs, you put your own version on YouTube and get a copyright strike because a recent commercial recording is claimed to be original. Maybe not Greensleeves, but quite a lot of folk tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was quite nice. At the age of eleven I was as a school camp and the mess room cook came out to the communal dining room and screamed to us 'No Chopsticks or Greensleeves on the piano'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew there were words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have achieved something with this blogpost then.

      Delete
  8. I never knew the words to Greensleeves. Sounds like "What child is this", a Christmas carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not have a go at singing it yourself then Ellen? Perhaps in the bath or shower. Please send a photo.

      Delete
  9. That IS a very good version. A little less gesticulating from the man in the white shirt would be the only improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe he was gesticulating on camera - he was just waving his hands about.

      Delete
  10. I learned this melody as a Christmas carol called "What Child Is This?" We used to sing it in church when I was growing up. It was only years later that I realized the tune is "Greensleeves," though I'm not sure I ever heard or read the words before now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another person here who learned this as "What Child is This?" I learned it on the piano and it was a favourite to play as its harmonies make it sound complex but in fact it was relatively easy. I agree with Cro that the constant hand waving from one of the singers is distracting but when I don't like watching performers I just shut my eyes and it improves the experience a hundred percent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was tempted to go into the loft and see if I could retrieve the old 78rpm of Greensleeves (assuming that I kept it). It must be one of the most universally heard tunes and one of the least heard songs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the video and didn't even notice the hand waving but if I watched again I wouldn't be able to un-see it

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits