6 September 2023

Puzzlement

When I was sixteen, like all other academically capable teenagers in England, I had to select the three Advanced Level (A Level) subjects that I wished to pursue for the next two years - up to my final  examinations. Unsurprisingly, I picked my strongest subjects which happened to be English, Geography and Art.

I was not the most diligent of A level students because I was distracted by other interests such as girls and music. I became the singer in a semi-professional band and I also attended as many concerts as I could - including a few pop festivals. If I had been more focused in my studies, I would surely have earned better grades and I would have got into a better university.

As it was, I ended up at The University of Stirling in Scotland where I am happy to say I became very conscientious and thoroughly engaged in my studies. I was there for four and a half years and came out with a good joint honours degree in English Studies with Education plus The Diploma in Education with distinction.

To tell you the truth, when it came to academic studies you wouldn't think that the lad of 16/18 years old was the same person as the young man of 20/24 years old. I suppose it was because at university I loved the work and the independent nature of so much of it. The university library became like a second home to me.

All of the above is just background. My main reason for writing this blogpost was to share some puzzlement about what you might call my domestic life during. my first years as a university student.

Living in a hall of residence you were supplied with a  fresh sheet and pillowcase and a freshly laundered duvet cover every week. The cleaning staff left them outside your door anticipating that you would bundle up your used bedding and leave it in the corridor for collection. They probably also expected that students would have the wherewithal to then make up their beds but quite often I didn't get round to it for two or three days. Putting a duvet in its new cotton bag seemed like the most onerous task in the world. Quite ridiculous.

Later I lived with a bunch of Scottish fellows in a six man flat that had its own bathroom and shower room, shared kitchen and lounge area.  I would like to ask my younger self two questions about that time. Firstly, why didn't I invest in a dressing gown and secondly, why didn't I ever think to buy any food?

Many was the time I came home late on - after studying in the library or drinking in the pub - with an urgent need to eat - something, anything but there was nothing for me in the cupboard or the fridge. Stupidly, I never thought ahead to buy some food items in. Nowadays, I guess that similarly hungry students simply phone up for takeaway deliveries.

But back then - between 1973 and 1977 we had no phones and there were no food delivery services anyway.

So yes, I am sorry to say that although I was a diligent university student who worked hard and was appropriately rewarded, there were several aspects of my domestic life I would change if I could go back to that time. I would have a warm dressing gown, there would be food in the cupboard, I would cook more meals, my laundry would get done, I would go to bed at a reasonable time and new bedding would be on the bed that very morning - not left in a neat pile, waiting to be seen to.

28 comments:

  1. When I went to college the first time I was 20, I lived with two other girls, but I did know how to cook, clean and change my sheets. The second time I went to college, at the ripe old age of 22, I had a four month son which meant, very few parties and lots of studying, which worked out quite well for me. I did very well on my nursing exams, second highest marks in Alberta that year.
    When I went back to University, I was 25 and managed to get part of my nursing degree but then I got married and pregnant and then pregnant again, so I gave up on that. I've learned far more on the job than I ever did in school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been tough for you back then. So many responsibilities to juggle. Genuinely amazing.

      Delete
  2. Oh the wisdom we could share with our younger selves. But would we have listened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such is life for lots of young men on their own for the very first time, I suspect. Hell, when I first met Gregg he was a 30-something bachelor who never had more than a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and several bottles of ginger ale in his kitchen/cupboards. I will say that his his apartment (English: flat!) was always scrupulously clean and tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Domestically, women often have a super beneficial effect upon the men they hook up with.

      Delete
  4. If we had chance to da things over again there would be many changes. I would have studied harder and much differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame that in most things we do not get a second chance.

      Delete
  5. Technology can be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to handwrite all of my university assignments. Many thousands of words in four and a half years. How much better it would have been if I had had "Word" on a PC.

      Delete
  6. I'm surprised your flatmates didn't mention to you about buying some food instead of eating theirs all the time. I'm assuming here that at least one of them cooked and you all shared the meals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul cooked spaghetti bolognaise for us all once a week. Otherwise we ate at the university food outlets - canteens etc..

      Delete
  7. Dreaming of being a Rock star and seeing great bands like ELP would have been my priority if I had been you YP. Was the Student Union bar subsidised?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There wasn't just one student bar but yes - they were indeed subsidised. In those days I often drank far too much.

      Delete
  8. Well, you got the studying part right (and did really well - I am impressed!); many students get neither that nor their domestic lives sorted during those years.
    Librarian School meant alternating between four weeks at the school and four weeks at the library, throughout the year. The only place in my part of Germany that offered Librarian training was about an hour's drive away, and public transport to that small town was patchy back then. Therefore, nearly everyone who attended that school had to find accomodation for the four-week-periods there. Rooms were reserved for us at the Nurses' Dorms next to the town's hospital; two each shared a room which came with a kitchenette and a tiny bathroom/toilet. It was very basic but functional.
    The girl I was assigned to share a room with was very different from me. She did bring her own bed sheets (although the ones we were given were perfectly fine) and kept buying food (although we were provided with meals at the hospital canteen). She was very untidy and unclean in the bathroom - when I went in after her, I had to clean the sink of her makeup smears and powder dust. When you looked at her, you saw a perfectly styled and madeup young lady and would not have believed in what state she left the bathroom and her side of our shared room (one bed on each side and a large built-in cupboard to divide among us as fairly as possible). I sometimes wonder how she organised her own household later in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have little bad habits that can annoy others. I have never liked sharing rooms with strangers or relative strangers.

      Delete
  9. I was not taught about such things but they came rather instinctively to me. Maybe I learnt by observation.

    The Librarian's comment above reminded me of perfectly groomed young women who lived in and left behind at home utter chaos in their wake. Yes Step Sister, I am remembering you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe that your step-sister reads this blog Andrew.

      Delete
  10. You really made me laugh with this. I was thinking "yes, yes, yes" all the way through. Apart from becoming a student a little later in life and by then being more domestically organised, it is like a description of my own experience while working in Leeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most women are better at forming good domestic habits.

      Delete
  11. I was also nodding in agreement through most of those with the exception of the bedding. My college didn't give us any bedding so what bedding I brought got put on the bed the first day of the school year and removed for the first time on the last day of the school year. I shudder to think of the state that the bedding must have been in when my mom put it into the washer upon my arrival home. Knowing her, she probably washed it in a separate load so not to contaminate all her other clothes. Later, I would move off campus and live in the same apartment for my last three years. I don't recall ever washing my bedding but I must have... I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I didn't get to university but was married at 19 so had all the cooking, cleaning and housework duties that I was made to learn as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is back to school season, I had a post last weekend about missing going back to school. Food always came naturally to me, housekeeping - still does not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You say you would have done things differently but really- would you have? You only had so much time in your days and nights and I think you had your priorities set! And they did not include buying warm dressing gowns or food. When I first got to college and lived in a dorm, there were lots of girls who'd never done a load of laundry in their lives. They came from wealthy families and had been taken care of in those areas. Like Pixie, when I went back to school, I was a single-mother of two, living in my own house which became the studying and lounging place for a group of us. I became mother to all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was too social in college and spent a lot of time at the bars instead of studying. I made it through all right as I was an English major and was good at bull shitting my way through an exam (lots of essays!) We had to live in the dorms but I had a good roommate altho we could be a bit messy. "Munchies" were cured with a bag of chips from the vending machines... I wish I had studied more tho...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure many former college students could identify with this post! I mean, we're not really mature, even in college, at least in the early years. We're still kids with developing brains.

    Having said that, I was obsessively neat and annoyed my roommate to no end. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh we all want to go back to previous days and correct our earlier errors but were able to reverse time in that fashion I suspect we'd live our lives exactly the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Most students away from home for the first time have (mostly) had their mother around to pick up after them, do the washing and ironing, shopping and cooking. It comes as a bit of a shock when you realise she's not around to do that any more, and you have to be responsible for all those tedious jobs you never gave a second thought to!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits