21 September 2023

Successor

 


Above - that's Raynor Winn and her husband Moth. Back in 2020, she  had great success with her book, "The Salt Path"   . I reviewed it in November of that year. It told the true story of a long distance walk that she and Moth took along England's South West Coast Path. Having been evicted from their Welsh farmhouse and with little money, the walk was an act of self-affirmation.

Her second book is titled "The Wild Silence" and it covers the months after her initial literary success. They move into a dilapidated farm in Cornwall which they have to bring back to life with the encouragement of an understanding and supportive landlord.

In the last third of the book they venture to Iceland and undertake a challenging trek with two friends in the wild southwestern landscape of that raw island.

Claims on the book cover include: "A thrill to read!", "Extraordinary!" and "Spellbinding!" But these judgements did not match my own. In my opinion, "The Wild Silence" lacked the purpose and page turning readability of the first book.

It was certainly okay with some great passages - often concerning nature - but on the whole I felt it was probably written with the encouragement of a literary agent in cahoots with Penguin Books - to capitalise upon the success of "The Salt Path".

She has published a third book now called "Landlines" about a long distance walk down the west of Britain from the top of Scotland but I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy it. There are so many other books out there  to read aren't there?

10 comments:

  1. I always wonder how a second book, from an author I like, might read. Often, I, too, am let down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Salt Path and I hate to say it but for me it just droned on and on. I'm glad they did it and that Moth is still alive but I can't say I enjoyed the book. I passed it on to my friend and she had the same reaction unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the reasons I am reluctant to put in the hard work and finish any of the books I have begun. They're probably not good enough for the market anyway, but what if one does well and then I am pushed (forced) into writing another and I really only have the one good story in me? It's one reason why my Friday challenge stories have become shorter. I blame the publishing companies who like the money a good book brings in and then hounds the author for a second book knowing that people who enjoyed the first will buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read The Salt Path and thought it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Books can't all be page turners.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second books often fall short, because, as you said, they're produced at the urging of a publisher hoping to capitalize on an earlier success. I suspect that often they're made of writing that had been rejected or discarded from the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have "The Salt Path" on my to read list but haven't done so yet. Thanks for the heads up on the next two books of her's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not familiar with her books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got The Salt Path and found myself frustrated by their unpreparedness. It was a bit like Into the Wild, except that their unpreparedness did not kill them in the end. It was an interesting tale, and they learned valuable lessons on the way...but argh. Foolhardy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember your review of The Salt Path and have had the book in my hands many times in shops, but somehow never was quite interested enough to buy it. Books about walking are usually interesting per se, but as you say, there are so many that want reading.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits