12 August 2024

Acknowledged

Last week I was contacted by a history professor from Swansea University in Wales. With two colleagues, she is preparing an academic article titled 'Art as industrial heritage: de-industrialisation and public sculpture in Britain's steel-making regions, 1976-2020'

She had found one of my images on the Geograph website to which I have so far contributed 18,000 photographs. The image shows a statue of three Sheffield steel workers pouring molten steel into a clay mould. The statue stands outside the Meadowhall shopping centre to the north of the city.

The professor was seeking my permission to use the image in her article and of course I agreed.

This was not the first time I have received such a request and it gives me a nice kick to see my pictures being used elsewhere.

Below, a photo I took of Neil Young  performing at The Echo Arena in Liverpool back in 2019. It was used in an online music website called "Far Out":-
And here's a photo I took in Hunstanton, Norfolk a few years ago. It was used by the BBC News website earlier this year to illustrate a news article about a tragic death at the little seaside town. The body was that of Glenys Shelton aged 69 and a resident of Hunstanton for many years. Apparently her husband's death in 2020 had broken her heart.

28 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! The fact that some of all the wonderful photos that we enjoy daily are being used so that a wider audience can marvel at the sights and flora and fauna and history that you have documented is a wonderful thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell. I am blushing like a beetroot now sis!

      Delete
  2. Your photos are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. Such photo archives are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to know, isn't it, when others appreciate our work enough for wanting to use it. Even better if they ask permission beforehand.
    You are a good photographer, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After putting 18000 pictures in Geograph I should have learnt something about photography.

      Delete
  6. How gratifying to see your photos appreciated and shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Photos are to be seen - not hidden away.

      Delete
  7. That's got to feel good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My head was already pretty big but now I can't get through the door!

      Delete
  8. It's nice when people ask permission to use your photos. I once had someone ask to use a photo of mine, years ago now, a photo of a tall gum tree lit by a setting sun. Of course I gave permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you posted that picture on your blog Elsie? I would like to see it.

      Delete
    2. I have, but many years ago. I'll see if I can find it.

      Delete
  9. How wonderful, and how nice that they asked permission, rather than forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legally they do not have to ask because of the nature of the website - they just have to acknowledge the photographer.

      Delete
  10. This is pretty darn cool, Mr. P.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That must really be a good feeling to have your photographs used like they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I have had more than a hundred used in such ways.

      Delete
  12. I just got contacted by a guy who wanted to use one of my photos from Flickr on an in-house poster and on social media for some construction firm in North Carolina. Very weird, because the picture was of a house in New York, but whatever. I said fine, as long as he gave me credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all Americans are as intelligent as you are Steve!

      Delete
  13. Look at you! Aren't you something, Neil! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good on you. You have to get your photos out there so that they will be noticed.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits