13 August 2024

Bowls

Seasoned chestnut logs

I have been keeping a secret - about our Ian's birthday present. Today has been his birthday and now I can reveal all.

Thirty seven years ago, Ian picked up a conker. He was only three years old. We planted that conker in a plant pot and it germinated. Soon we had a tiny horse chestnut tree. Thirty four years ago I planted that little tree in our garden and it grew year by year till it towered above the ground. I estimate that the topmost branches were, in the end, forty feet high.

Then two years ago, for several reasons, we decided to have the tree felled. Most of the wood was taken away by the tree surgeons but I kept back a few logs. I put them under our house close to the gas boiler. I thought if I put them there they would hopefully season quite nicely after two years.

And so that is what happened. The heavy logs lost their moisture.

I hunted around to try to find a skilled wood turner and came across this man who lives south of Chesterfield:-

His name is Rick Dobney and he kindly agreed to accept my commission - to turn a bowl or two from the horse chestnut logs that I took to his house. 

After a month, Rick e-mailed me to say that he had successfully turned two bowls from the wood and I could go back to his house to collect them.

They are beautiful works of art and Ian was overjoyed to receive them this morning. Beforehand, I had taken a few pictures to share in this blog...

BOWL ONE


BOWL TWO 


I am so pleased that I had the idea to do this and saw it through. Thank you Rick! And Happy 40th Birthday Ian!

29 comments:

  1. What a fabulous gift ... or is it a re-gift from a by-product of the first gift?
    Either way, gorgeous, and a great thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful, such a great idea and keepsakes forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful grain in the wood. My turner friend cuts the log in have and lets it dry that way. Somewhere in the process he coats the wood with wax so it dries slowly and does not crack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A unique, beautiful and meaningful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea and gift! Ian will treasure them all his life, and maybe pass them on to little Zach one day. Just lovely, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bowls are beautiful!! Such lovely wood. Ian will treasure those forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shame about the fate of the tree; the bowls are beautiful and a wonderful present.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really is "a gift that keeps on giving". You had an inspired idea, and found someone who turned it into reality. None of it would have happened without the little boy who found the conker so many years ago.
    Belated Happy Birthday, Ian! I trust you know what a great Dad you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a perfect recycle and brilliant as a gift to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a story those bowls tell. It was indeed a fabulous idea and i'm pleased it all worked well for you.
    Happy birthday to Ian!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful....and beautiful bowls too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very thoughtful 40th birthday present for your Ian, that he will always remind him of you, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful gift, with such a personal history. I hope the bowls will be treasured by Ian's descendents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice grain and that would be a tree Ian knew well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, what an absolutely great idea. The bowls are so beautiful and I am sure Ian will treasure them always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Horse chestnut makes attractive bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They are very beautiful bowls! I have saved wood from trees over the years and turned them into things. I am not a wood turner though so no bowls, mostly boxes or furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is something about wooden bowls - they are so very tactile. A beautiful gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely gorgeous and such a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now see- that is the perfect gift. Absolutely! It could not be a more meaningful and beautiful present. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are beautiful bowls, Neil, and the story behind them is lovely. What treasures for Ian to keep! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. I am gobsmacked. That is a truly remarkable and special gift -- and they're so beautiful to boot. You outdid yourself with this one, YP!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love wood. I love turned wood. I think that was an absolutely wonderful idea and such a meaningful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely keepsake with so much history and sentimental value. I am sure Ian will treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great gift. My son was 33 today and I bought him a Paul Smith polo shirt, I shall put my thinking cap on over the next seven years to come up with something a little more memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a thoughtful gift. And the bowls are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, an amazing and memorable gift.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness, gracious!! Those bowls are such works of art!!! Wow! Your son will never forget that tree or what you did with that wood and how thoughtful you were. I can imagine him as a grandfather (say, in the year 2065) explaining to his grandchildren (I see four) the history and love in those bowls! I am so proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits