22 September 2024

Anne


The famous song, "Snowbird" was not composed by Anne Murray but, if you will excuse the pun,  she gave it wings. It was actually written by another Canadian - Gene MacLennan - who tragically killed himself in 1995.

Multi-award winning Anne Murray is now seventy nine years old, residing back in her home province of Nova Scotia. For some reason that song - "Snowbird" came into my mind this morning and refused to leave so I knew I had just had to include it in a blogpost.

Gene MacLennan was inspired to write "Snowbird" while observing a flock of snow buntings on a Prince Edward Island beach. Essentially, he presented the song to Anne Murray in 1970 and gave her licence to use it as she would. It became her breakthrough single and was a surprise hit in the USA.

Spread your tiny wings and fly away
And take the snow back with you 
Where it came from on that day
The one I love forever is untrue
And if I could you know that I would fly away with you
Yeah, if I could I know that I would fly away with you...


Anne Murray was not really known as a writer of songs but as an interpreter, a re-developer. Long ago, she alerted me to a song by Kenny Loggins called "Danny's Song". After learning it, I used to sing it with gusto. Like "Snowbird" it is from the very early seventies...


And even though we ain't got money
I'm so in love with you, honey
And everything will bring a chain of love, oh, oh, oh
And in the morning, when I rise
You bring a tear of joy to my eyes
And tell me everything is gonna be alright

Thank heavens for Anne Murray - one of several great Canadian songsters even though the songs she sang were not her own. In that sense she was rather like Elvis Presley - a singer rather than a writer but what's wrong with that? They both gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you know so much about Anne Murray. For a long time she had a TV program on Sat nights. I never missed it. Gene Maclellan was a regular on the show. What I really liked was Anne Murray singing with her daughter. Somehow that didn't pan out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She had a very distinct voice; I remember both of these songs.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits