20 October 2024

Sunday


I borrowed a blood pressure monitor from the health centre but the "cuff"  you put round your upper arm was too tight for me. I guess my arms are a bit like Popeye's after a can of spinach. The cuff kept bursting apart as it inflated.

Anyway, we decided to invest in our own monitoring device which I did NOT order from Amazon! Instead I went to the "Boots" store at Heeley Retail Park. There were several to choose from.

As I was looking at them, I met a man who showed me which one he had bought. Some friendly chat followed and it turned out that he had only recently emerged from the hollow of "Long COVID". For three years he had been housebound - mostly languishing in bed but now he's up and about.

I said, "It must feel like being born again?"

He said, "You're right. I hadn't thought of it like that."

"Boots" is Britain's most famous pharmacy chain. At the prescriptions counter, a young shop assistant kindly opened the monitor box so I could see the size of the cuff inside.  Then I parted with some money after removing the padlock on my wallet.

Upon arriving home, I reopened the box and set up the blood pressure monitor. Soon, with the assistance of my personal nurse we were ready to go. The cuff was perfect and it squeezed my arm as if Bluto was gripping it. Unfortunately, both blood pressure readings we took were almost dangerously high - around 190/102 - confirming  the high readings taken at my health check on Friday morning.

The sooner I can get started on that antihypertensive medication the better.

In other Sunday news, I went down to Frances and Stewart's house to watch Hull City play Sunderland courtesy of Sky Sports TV. We lost by one goal to nil but our lads played well - especially in the second half. Their goal was controversial following accidental interference in play by the referee.

Stewart made the Sunday dinner which was a nice change for me and later I caught the number 88 bus up to Bents Green, meeting my quizmates in "The Hammer & Pincers". 

We were the overall  winners and would have scored 25/25 if I had remembered the correct title of the Christmas 1994 hit by East 17. It was "Stay Another Day" and not "Stay Now" as I had mistakenly recalled.  Such moments are not good for one's blood pressure.

5 comments:

  1. I expect we are in for a medical quiz fairly soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have said that, it will not happen.

      Delete
  2. I think that roast beef and yorkshire pudding shall have to go YP. Replaced with boiled fish and plain rice. That should do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather have a glass of distilled water and a grape.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits