20 February 2018

Doubt

I was about to press the "Publish" button having written the third instalment of  the story of  "Albert The Green Giraffe". However, having sifted through the various comments the story has received so far I decided at the last minute to pull the blogpost.

You see, Albert's story is a true one. The events to which I referred really happened. 

I thought that I could trust visitors to this blog to accept the story at face value and yet the comments are imbued with disbelief and thinly-veiled mockery. I even had previously trusted blogging friends like Lee and Jennifer accusing me of smoking mind-bending drugs. Arizona immigrant Catalyst even suggested "waccy baccy".

Such remarks are extremely hurtful. As a former member of the teaching profession, I have lived a largely blameless life and have certainly never dabbled in any recreational drug activity. If discovered such behaviour would have been professionally disastrous so a long time ago I chose to avoid any contact whatsoever with illegal substances. In that direction, if I ever sinned at all it was through quaffing pints of foaming Tetley's bitter which I should point out, remains entirely legal in this island nation's pubs.

Other doubters made annoying quips that undermined my self-confidence and made me almost regret deciding to tell visitors about Albert in the first place. However, I am very aware that a handful of visitors were genuinely happy to accept the story at face value and to them I forward my respectful gratitude.

Now I have a quandary. Should I continue with the true story of "Albert The Green Giraffe" or simply store it in my memory bank where  nobody else will see it? No one likes to be the target of mockery and doubt. Some of the comments made me feel like a medieval peasant sitting in the village stocks. And yet through it all, I remembered Albert and smiled. They were such special days.

20 comments:

  1. well you should be counting me as your one loyal follower!!

    I believe in you, with your broad Yorkshire shoulders, to be able to withstand the mockery that comes with your art :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this question perchance ring a bell Kylie - "Ever thought about writing children's fiction?"? Did Stephen Hawking have to field such a question after bringing us "A Brief History of Time"?

      Delete
  2. Oh! Dear! Your tender feelings have been hurt...and I am one of the evil perpetrators! Oh! Dear!

    What can I say to ease your sorrow, other than over the years I have suffered silently at the hands of your mockery of me. Oh! Woe is me - and woe is you, Mr. Pudding!

    I assure you, however, you will get over it, as have I had to do...often.

    I guess in the meantime, Albert has been put out to pasture in fields of green. He'll be happy. He won't make a hash of things as he grazes waiting paitiently for his reappearance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear antiopdean chum, it is a common human trait to greet criticism with counter-assault. However, I must insist that I have always treated you with the utmost respect - metaphorically doffing my cap in your direction whenever I have met you here in the blogosphere. If I have ever unwittingly caused you distress through misunderstanding or your own hyper-sensitivity then I apologise unreservedly.

      Delete
    2. What about the time...not long ago...late 2017, in fact, when you locked me in Clint's boot?!

      Such a short memory you do have, laddie!!!

      Delete
    3. But that was just a merry prank! I meant no harm. Most women enjoy being bundled into car boots!

      Delete
    4. How many women have you bundled into car boots, Yorkie? lol

      I wouldn't tell too many people that story. Stick with Albert!!!

      Delete
    5. re. your first question I was inspired by "The Collector" by John Fowles. According to my records it's 247.

      Delete
    6. Stay on your side of the ocean and equator then, if that is the case!

      By the way...loved that book (and movie)....I enjoyed the writings of John Fowles.

      Delete
    7. You have good taste and I like butterflies!

      Delete
    8. I love "The Magus"...what fabulous story that is. I read the book few times and also watched the movie a few times. Tremendous story, as is, of course, "The French Lieutenant's Woman", "The Ebony Tower".

      It's hard to believe Samanatha Eggar is now 79 years old...as is John Fowles. Eggar was a pretty young woman.

      Delete
    9. John Fowles died in 2005. He was indeed 79.

      Delete
    10. So he did...my mistake. I was off in a time capsule aka car boot! :)

      Delete
  3. I love a good trail riding story. I still have my 40 year old truck and trailer and my last horse (now 32) "just in case" I get a chance to ride again. I AM a bit puzzled how one would actually stay on a giraffe's back. But people ride dragons, and that can't be easy, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your last horse called Jan?
      By the way, thanks for forwarding that very interesting article about agriculture in The Central Valley.

      Delete
    2. Blue Top is the last horse. He's pure black. Makes about as much sense as a green giraffe, doesn't it? Two years ago the horse was going downhill fast. I discovered that his teeth had gone useless and started feeding him pellets, he's back to being fat and happy. The other horse in the pasture, Dusty, is Bob's. He's 22 and is lame and grumpy a lot.

      Delete
  4. If you grew up in the 70's and never used any mind bending drugs, I'm sorry! You must have felt very left out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was busy reading my books and every week I looked forward to my magazine arriving - "Look and Learn". There were also country bike rides and in the summer we would go swimming in The North Sea. What need had I of mind-bending drugs when Life itself gave me all the stimulation I needed?

      Delete
  5. Ok, Mr. Pudding. I apologize. Now please give us the third installment of the green giraffe saga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Giraffe saga"? Eh? It is a an account of something that happened. But otherwise - okay!

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits