24 September 2020

Tableau

 

Seeding dandelion caught in morning sunlight

More pictures from Monday - the day that a red grouse kindly posed for pictures.

I had woken up far too early. Could not get back to sleep so showered, filled my flask with water, grabbed a banana and my car keys and headed west. Over the hills to Glossop. 

"What the hell is going on?" grumbled Clint - unused to such early starts.

I  parked him safely on Whitfield Avenue, donned my boots and had set off walking before 9am. I noticed an old building with a big plaque in the middle of the first floor. It was once The Joseph Hague School but now it is two residential properties. Here's the former school:-

And here's a close-up of the plaque. If only all wealthy people were so public-spirited:-

Soon the moors were rearing up in front of me. Because I was on my own  I could plod along at my own pace, resting occasionally to catch my breath. After passing a remote grouse shooters' cabin, I reached the triangulation pillar on Chunal Moor.

I sat by the pillar, unpeeled my banana and unscrewed my stainless steel flask. It was good to sit up there with not another human being in sight, enjoying the last summery morning of the year.

Soon I was descending the moors. I met another lone walker - a Lithuanian woman who was panting up the hill, getting her ten thousand steps in. We stopped to talk for a while. She was a nice person with a happy demeanour. I said as I sometimes do, "It was nice to meet you". 

And then I reached The Worm Rocks:-

In "The Four Quartets" Thomas Stearns Eliot wrote, "In my beginning is my end" and so it is with this particular blogpost. Earlier in the morning I had stopped by Ladybower Reservoir to take this picture:-

26 comments:

  1. That plaque was oddly touching to me. If only more wealthy people felt that same impulse of gratitude and and the desire to give back to the world! Your dandelion photo is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps Joseph Hague believed that his act of charity might help to get him into Heaven.

      Delete
  2. You live in a beautiful area. That view from The Worm Rocks is stunning. I'd bring my Banana and flask, and join you; for the first few hundred metres anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could sit on a rock and chew the fat.

      Delete
  3. Another lovely walk! That last picture of Ladybower Reservoir is wonderful! I love the feeling the fog gives it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually mist rising up from the cold reservoir. An hour later it would have been burnt off.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that area but I'm beginning to wonder whether my legs can cope with some of the steeper descents. Did you blow that dandelion clock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I did not Tasker. I left it, beautifully backlit by the morning sunshine.

      Delete
  6. Did you have the Dambusters theme playing in your head at Ladybower Reservoir YP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware of the association Northsider. But inside by head there was "Ma Baker" by Bony M. In place of "Ma Baker" I inserted "Northsider". Crazy but true.

      Delete
  7. Very atmospheric pictures, if I had to decide on a favourite, I'd be hard pressed.
    I wish I could bring myself to more early morning walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be out walking so early was unusual for me - but a nice change - and it was like the very last day of summer. Now we are entering a dark tunnel.

      Delete
  8. A beautiful head-clearing morning if the lovely photos are any indication.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are getting better and better. And they were already quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spotting good photo opportunities still excites me.

      Delete
  10. What bothers me is the plaque wording. Why did they use f instead of s in parish and yet still used s in years? I'm sure there is a reason, I just don't know it yet.

    Lovely photos as always. We were supposed to go out to Elk Island National Park yesterday but life intervened, or rather a drunk daughter in law. Sigh. The little guy is safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the f for s thing was just an eighteenth century decorative affectation Lily. Sorry to hear about your daughter-in-law's episode. It's a bugger when you and The Big Guy have to cancel your plans.

      Delete
  11. Maybe you should go with the flow more often and get up and go when you can't sleep. You see a very pleasant time of day when you get out early...no people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you have caught a few worms Red!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos and country, as usual. I'd like to make a teftimony for my bleffings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And there it is.
    Hiking boot question. Do you wear regular hiking boots such as I would find on Eddie Bauer, or your famous Wellies, and if the latter, how are they made to be firm foot support?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wear regular walking boots. They were comfortable from the very first hike Joanne. They only cost me $110. And that reminds me that the soles are now so worn down that I must buy some replacement boots.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits