16 October 2018

Armstrong

Last Friday was a grey, rainy day just as meteorologists had predicted. I donned my new Marmot jacket, grabbed my senior citizen bus pass and headed into the city centre to watch a film at "The Showroom".

It was the two o'clock screening of "The First Man" starring Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong - the first man on the moon.

It begins powerfully. Armstrong is on a test flight - heading to the stratosphere. It is an intensely physical and noisy experience. The shaking is almost unbearable but Armstrong is focused, calm and determined even when this test flight goes horribly wrong.

Indeed, that is how he comes across in his home life with his wife Janet played by English actress Claire Foy and his young son and daughter. The daughter's name is Karen and very sadly she dies at the tender age of two from a malignant brain tumour. That was back in 1961. The film suggests that Armstrong's private grief over her loss is even present during the moon landing.

He is shown standing by a small lunar crater into which he casts Karen's bracelet. In reality, this never happened. It is a dramatic device dreamt up by the screenplay writer Josh Singer in league with the director -  Damien Chazelle. It adds an element of emotional poignancy but in any case filmgoers ought to remind themselves that "The First Man" is an entertainment and not a documentary.

There are many wordless phases in the film. Armstrong comes across as rather taciturn which frustrates his wife. Janet even has to bully him to speak to his two sons before heading off to join the historical Apollo 11 mission.

Later I watched an interview with Armstrong's sons - Eric and Mark who played an advisory role in the making of "The First Man". They were very comfortable with the way their "old man" had been portrayed. "He didn't say much but he had a good sense of humour", said one of them.

"The Last Man" is not science fiction. It is about an important event that happened in the middle of the twentieth century. Along with his beautiful first name, Armstrong will be remembered forever in the annals of world history. I was gripped by the film and I applaud Ryan Gosling for his studied and convincing portrayal of a rather unlikely hero.

For a different - and in my opinion unfairly damning - review of this film you might want to read Richard Brody's article in "The New Yorker"  His agenda is clearly a big one but the film was only two hours long and as I have already suggested - its purpose is surely to entertain not to win points for political correctness which is partly what Brody's verbosity appears to be advocating.

18 comments:

  1. As a space enthusiast and avid reader of many books about the "Space Race" era and the men and women involved, I must see this film. Preferably, I shall wait until it is available on DVD or BluRay so that I can watch it at home in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you do surprise me. I didn't know that you were a space enthusiast. I suspect you will enjoy this film.

      Delete
    2. Well, now YOU surprise ME. I have written about Dr. Alexander Gerst (the first German commander aboard the ISS) a few times already on my blog, and posted reviews of serveral space-related books.

      Delete
    3. I have a memory like a sieve Meike.

      Delete
  2. I loved this movie! It very powerfully conveyed how terrifying it must have felt to be in those loud, rattling, shuddering spacecraft. I haven't yet read Richard Brody's online blog review, but Anthony Lane seemed to like it in The New Yorker magazine -- though he took issue with the choice of Gosling to portray Armstrong. (For some reason Brody writes online and there are other reviewers in the print mag. I have no idea why this is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that you will find Brody's take on the film quite provocative.

      Delete
  3. This might be just the ticket to take hubby to - sounds like it has a good script, though I too prefer things to be kept to the reality rather than add fiction to real events even if it is for dramatic effect,
    I think it is particularly hard on peoples character when their adult children review them in hindsight - we are all flawed as parents but in the main do our best learning what works as we go along and a childs view is often skewed. I cannot imagine the pressure this man must have endured during his days as an active astronaut and what an impact that must have had on those close to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The film hints at that pressure. Ultimately Janet and Neil arrived at a divorce but his grown up sons still treasure his memory, proud that he was their father. Some might think of "The First Man" as a film that might have more appeal to men but I disagree. It is worth seeing.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure that there will be a lot in this film that I will enjoy. I'm always a bit unsure about adding bits like him casting Karen's bracelet. It will become a fact that that is what he did. That may not be a Bad Thing but....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what is truth and what is fiction? Often they seem to blend together.

      Delete
  5. There is a lot of buzz about this movie at present. I look forward to watching it. And I look forward, also...very much...to watching the latest remake of "A Star Is Born". It is being released here tomorrow, Thursday, Aussie Eastern time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two films for you to pass a few happy hours with your furry friends. Buy some popcorn!

      Delete
  6. Historical fiction works well in novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never has a truer truth been expressed so truly!

      Delete
  7. I just finished binge watching the 10-part serial "Genius" about Pablo Picasso. As I told my wife if you didn't like Picasso before watching this, you'll hate him when you've seen it. But Antonio Banderas is masterful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of this Mr C. "Thanks for the heads up" as younger people often say.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your review and the link to the article in the New Yorker. I found myself wanting to smack the writer with his never-ending negativity and I consider myself to be a Liberal! Perhaps because I remember the early launches and how we all stopped to watch - even at grade school - if there wasn't a tv in the classroom the launches were broadcast over the PA system. I will never forget watching the moon landing - I was a teenager and my family was camping up north - the owner of the campground invited everyone into his office area to watch on a black & white TV - you could have heard a pin drop even though the room was packed! And I remember walking back to our tent afterwards and looking up and seeing the moon and knowing that two men from earth were actually there - it was an amazing moment. Perhaps the writer should have remembered how much of the planet united to watch the landing and and again when the Apollo 13 disaster happened. We were in awe of those men and their bravery is even more astounding now that we know more of what went on behind the scenes and how truly dangerous it was. It was a huge achievement in the history of the world and the Americans had a right to be proud! It doesn't mean that the rights of women or African Americans, or the Vietnam War weren't important issues - but those stories have been addressed in other movies and should continue to be addressed. The space race took place over one particular decade in time and was a huge deal and we continue to benefit from many of the scientific discoveries and innovations developed during this time. The snideness of the article disrespects the accomplishments of the astronauts and all those who worked behind the scenes.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerful and heartfelt comment Margie. Thank you. I hope you get to see "The First Man".

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits