4 October 2018

Barlow

Inspector Barlow starred in "Z Cars and "Softly Softly", Ken Barlow is that famous stalwart character in "Coronation Street" and Jennifer, Gregg, George, Ginger and Marco Barlow live in Florence, South Carolina. Furthermore, I was in Barlow on Tuesday. 

Barlow is a village in North East Derbyshire. It is slightly off the beaten track between Sheffield and Chesterfield. It has three pubs - "The Tickled Trout", "The Peacock" and "The Hare and Hounds Inn" and it sits just outside The Peak District. 
Barlow - the churchyard
I left Clint on Wilkin Hill and set off on another circular walk of around six miles. It took in rolling farmland.

At Pratt Hall Farm I was yapped at by two nasty Jack Russells. They came racing out of the farmyard baring their teeth and would not retreat even when I yelled "No!" at the top of my voice. I realise that they were just guarding "their" territory but I did not wish to be bitten by either of these rabid mutts and I did not wish to kick them over the wall like rugby balls. I doubt that the irresponsible owners would have been too happy about that. 
On Hackney Lane, Barlow
Anyway, I got away from them unscathed. Much of the barking had been within six inches of my ankles. They followed me for fifty yards and then to torment the little blighters I barked like an Irish wolfhound which made them race back. They trotted homewards again and then I barked some more. If a radio drama should ever require an Irish wolfhound impersonator - I'm your man!
Mesmerised sheep at Oxton Rakes Farm
Later, as I was emerging from Engine Hollow Woods, two more dogs came bounding towards me. Their owner was way behind them. In contrast with the noisy Jack Russells, these two dogs were quiet and seemingly gentle. They were whippets. I patted them and told them they were "good boys" even though  they were both eager to sniff my groin. 

Then the owner came puffing up the path but she did not wish to sniff my wedding tackle. We stopped for a chat before carrying on our merry ways. She towards Cuttthorpe and me back to Barlow.
Above Barlow - looking towards Holmesfield

27 comments:

  1. Barked like an Irish Wolfhound? You'll have to make a YouTube video of that. You didn't mention Gary Barlow. I'm not sure who he is but I know the name so I assume he's famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Mr Edwards, I should have mentioned Gary Barlow! I believe he was in a popular singing group called Take Five. Something like that anyway.

      Delete
  2. Wedding tackle?
    Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are you laughing at my wedding tackle Ms Moon?

      Delete
    2. Because I simply can't help myself.

      Delete
  3. And we must not forget our old friend David Barlow of Tooele, Utah, otherwise known as the Putz. RIP or Long may he wave, whichever applies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that was Putz's name Bob. He invented a whole different kind of written English which I hereby name Putzish.

      Delete
  4. We were just discussing Jack Russells today at work. They're cute dogs but they can be aggressive -- they think they're much bigger than they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder why the owner did not hear them barking and come out to take control of them. I was on a public footpath.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Ms. Moon. Wedding tackle? Well, whatever.

    My son has a lovely 3-year old Whippet, named "Q".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I told Gregg recently that there's a village named for his family in England. He said, "I'll bet it's a great place, then!" Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a great place. There's a massive statue of Gregg on the village green. He's wearing a trout costume.

      Delete
  7. Were those sheep transfixed by your Irish Wolfhound impersonations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were enraptured because I was wearing "Ram" aftershave.

      Delete
  8. I did hear authorities were looking for a barking man traveling by foot across North East Derbyshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was barking mad that afternoon Bonnie.

      Delete
  9. Do Irish wolfhounds bark with an Irish accent, or do they bark in Gaelic? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends. Only Catholic wolfhounds bark in Gaelic.

      Delete
  10. Oh you dreadful sheep-mesmeriser and dog-tormentor! The whippets were simply trying to establish of YOU were a 'good boy' or 'good girl'. But you probably know this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And the sheep are curious about the intruder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must say when it comes to sheep and cows, I much prefer sheep.

      Delete
  12. The Jack Russells were only protecting their territory and their owners...owners unknown to you, who probably are very responsible owners!

    I, too, have been known to have barked back at dogs! lol

    In passing, while driving by a paddock filled with cows, I have also been known to moo! Keep this and the above to yourself, please! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay Lee it's our little secret. If the owners were responsible those dogs would not be running loose.

      Delete
  13. You should have barked at them earlier, to shake them off. As you say, you were on a public foot path. The owners have every right to train their dogs to guard their own patch, but also to understand where that patch ends and people are allowed to walk.
    I know I am repeting myself here, but: Great photos! Not so long now until I'll be in drystone wall country myself :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that the Ripon weather is kind for you. You clarified the responsibility issue re. dogs very well.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits