25 October 2018

Newstead

Two walkers approaching Newstead Abbey from the south
On Monday I travelled to Newstead Abbey between Mansfield and Nottingham. Once there was  a priory there - founded by King Henry II in the late twelfth century. It was inhabited by a small band of Augustinian monks.

It remained a religious retreat for three hundred and seventy years until King Henry VIII ordered the dissolution of the monasteries. Newstead Abbey was then reduced to ruins.

Later the estate fell into the hands of the noble Byron family and an impressive country residence rose from the abbey's ruins. At great expense it was landscaped in the early eighteenth century before once again succumbing to neglect.
Newstead Abbey and an oak tree planted by Lord Byron
At the end of the eighteenth century, the estate was inherited by a child who would later become one of England's most famous poets. He was George Gordon Byron - more commonly known as Lord Byron - born in 1788 he died in Greece in 1824.
"The Fort" stable block and The Upper Lake
Byron loved Newstead though he did not live there for very long. It is said that he hosted some wild parties in the old house but it soon became something of  a financial millstone around his neck.
Garden statue detail
I walked around the lakes and into the surrounding countryside on another diamond day. And when I had had enough of exploring I went into the estate's little cafe and ordered a pot of tea which I drank on a sunny terrace with only a peacock for company.

18 comments:

  1. Boy! You certainly are out and about a lot, Yorkie.

    I'm a real homebody and love being at home. I'm certainly not the happy wanderer you are. Lady and I, unlike Clint and you prefer to stay at home. Both of us, every now and then, do need to re-charge our batteries, though!

    I travel out and about through your posts and your photos...so thanks for taking me along with you for the ride and walk...allowing me to remain at home, flying low, purposely, beneath the radar...not having to get dressed up for the occasion. I can slop around in my stay-at-home clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing new places or simply walking in the countryside - it's like soul food to me. It's nice to share my trips with blogging chums like you.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Mr. P. Like Lee, I am grateful for the walks you take us on. You certainly live in a beautiful place and I am grateful to get your window onto it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Mr P - I like that nickname Ms Moon! Glad to have taken you there.

      Delete
  3. I'll never understand why people need impressive swellings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They need impressive swellings for intimate purposes.

      Delete
    2. So glad you spotted my naughty quip Jennifer!

      Delete
  4. Did you bribe the peacock to stop him flying off? Animals always turn away just as I try to photgraph them.

    I'd like to see some of the sights you show us and I probably never will so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure to take people from the blogosphere with me. I told that peacock that his picture would be posted on the web so he struck that pose.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know about this place and very much enjoyed having a look around there with you. Is the house open for visitors, too?
    The peacock reminds me of my visit to Nunnington Hall a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to Nunnington Hall. I can see that it would be worth a visit. Newstead Abbey House is only open to visitors at certain times during the summer months. There's a small museum dedicated to Lord Byron but I have never seen it.

      Delete
  6. Ah, Lord Byron. What a cad! This walk was lovely, as usual. Clint must be tired hauling you and all your friends around just to take a walk and have some tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking of changing his name to The Blogger Bus. We squeezed a dozen bloggers in on Monday.

      Delete
  7. The colours of that peacock are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why did Mother Nature create such creatures?

      Delete
  8. Love that first photo YP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if Byron had peacocks? He seems like the type who would.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits