18 March 2022

Normanton

Working boat named after a tarn in the English Lake District

Normanton sits just east of the city of  Wakefield which was once the administrative capital of the old West Riding of Yorkshire. I rode up there today aboard the 10.02 train from Sheffield to Leeds calling at Meadowhall Interchange, Chapeltown, Elsecar, Wombwell, Barnsley, Darton and Wakefield Kirkgate. My return ticket cost me just £9.

I had pre-planned my long circular walk from Normanton railway station and all went to plan in what was a gorgeous blue sky spring day. A big slice of the walk was by the side of the Aire and Calder Navigation Canal - another impressive legacy from innovative canal engineers of the past.

In England, "Up North" is Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, 
Northumberland , County Durham and North Lincolnshire. I spotted 
the sign in the circular window of a canal boat.

On and on I walked for four solid hours - not stopping to eat or drink and as Normanton came back into view I realised I might just make the 14.57 train. This I did with just three minutes to spare.

I got stuck back into a historical novel I am reading. It's called "The Gallows Pole" by Ben Myers and you know what - it has really hooked me. Talking about "being hooked", I saw an experienced angler bring in a three pound chub he had fished from the canal and he kindly allowed me to take a picture of it before he popped it back into the water.

Chub

Meanwhile on the train, the guard confronted a young fare dodger standing in my vicinity. He had, I think, been to college in Barnsley and was heading home the five miles to Wombwell. He said he hadn't got a ticket and that he had no money but he was getting off at the next stop anyway. 

There was no apology or apparent concern about his dishonesty. The ticket collector said it wasn't good enough but the lad got away with it. It made me wonder how many times he has done this.  I suspect that if he had been searched he would have had money on him. As an honest fare-paying traveller I found the incident annoying for several reasons. I guess that with some things I ain't cool man!

I enjoyed my day out west of Normanton and hope you like the pictures I have chosen to share with you.

"The Lelie". Her skipper greeted me with a cheery "Good morning!"

Ukrainian flag on a narrow boat moored on The Aire and Calder Canal

30 comments:

  1. Gah, I don't like fare skippers either. I am always so careful to have a ticket. Beautiful water and boat--makes me want to go out on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to find a new place to walk. I'm not sure how far you had to ride the train from your home. sometimes it's just nice to get out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a beautiful day for your outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was skipping and singing "Tra-lee, tra-lah!" because it was such a lovely day.

      Delete
  4. We have too many fare skippers here, I don't know if they get caught or not. I almost never see a ticket inspector these days. I like seeing the Ukrainian flag on the narrowboat. Is the other boat a barge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "Easedale" is a barge - transporting sand and gravel. The "Lelie" is just a leisure boat with living accommodation.

      Delete
  5. Looks a lovely walk, doesn't a blue sky change the world More information as to what you think of Gallow's Pole please. I didn't like it when he writes in the vernacular historic language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much of that vernacular may become irritating but at present I am okay with it. I have read a hundred pages.

      Delete
  6. Four hours with no stop, however brief, for a sip of water or a bite to eat!
    You had great weather for your walk, and did well in using trains. Those place names - especially Wombwell and of course Barnsley - are my old patch; Wath on Dearne is round the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped to talk to the fisherman and to take photos. That's all.

      Delete
  7. It sounds as though you had an enjoyable walk YP. Lovely photos, and the one of the boat with the friendly skipper makes me realise that it's such a relaxing way to get around.
    It's so dishonest to be a fare dodger, and it seems he'd done it before. Probably practising for a career as a free loader?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he is studying Criminology in college! Why did I feel the urge to stand up and support the guard?

      Delete
  8. It's a shame that it it is not possible to check valid tickets before getting on board the train. Too many fare dodgers don't help to contain the large losses made by most transport companies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:41 am

    Up North is funny.

    What beautiful blue skies.

    There is a certain section of society who become very annoyed by fare dodgers who are caught and let off. I am among that certain section. It is pure theft, never mind the ridiculously high prices of English train fares.

    The second narrow boat looks a bit permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. That lad is thieving from the other passengers around him.

      I guess that is the second narrow boat's home mooring berth.

      Delete
  10. Is Cheshire a Southern county Up North?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It used to be located between Surrey and Sussex.

      Delete
  11. Most American trains avoid that problem by forcing you to buy a ticket well before you even get near the train. But Amtrak still does it using conductors after the train is moving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Cumbria"! Surely you mean Cumberland and Westmorland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That Ukrainian boat looks as though it goes no where

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are seeing lots of Ukrainian flgs around Camden, even in this little Red State.

    And that kid had money, he just didn't want to pay, because he didn't get caught the last few times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to see Normanton. My Dad's family name on his mother's side was Normanton, sometimes Norminton, depending on the census. They all lived in Haworth for centuries.

    I recommended the gallows pole to you a couple of years ago. It's excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The houseboat pictures were lovely. I'm one of those people that has always daydreamed about the idea of living on a houseboat. I'd need a bit of land as well though so I could carry on with my gardening and bird feeding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photos. It is theft, not paying for your ticket. I have a coworker who always comes in to work exactly one minute late, she obviously times it, and then takes five minutes to get ready for work. Time theft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful post with beautiful pictures of the amazing place in which you live. Thank you, Mr. P.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You had that hike timed well. How come you don't take a water bottle and a snack with you?

    ReplyDelete
  20. It WAS amazing weather yesterday, wasn't it?! Looks like a great walk. I suspect that young guy rationalized his deception with "Hey, I pay taxes!" But of course taxes don't pay everything.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits