23 July 2023

Extracts

Simon was twenty three years old when he went off the rails and hastened my father's death. I am absolutely certain that his strange mental state  was exacerbated by habitual cannabis use. Amongst the thing he left behind, I discovered six pages of writing he had drafted about that painful time in the summer of 1979. Those words have helped me to better understand both what happened and indeed Simon's mental health at that time.  Here are four  extracts...

⦿

Simon writing about his arrest in the Bridlington pub:-

"I may have been out of my mind. I still believe I was closer to myself than for a long time.I was happy but nervous which prevented me from sleeping..."

"My parents came in the evening and took me home. They were beside themselves. So many mixed up feelings. There was grave sadness, incomprehension, fear of me, disgust? And I was seemingly unconcerned about the whole business at all. I wanted my belongings to be left in that pub but my mother just wanted to get away from that town. The journey home brimmed with feeling. I insisted on being dropped off at the local for a drink. My father did this. They must have told Brian what had happened for he came and sat by me, drinking lager."

A few days later in Scarborough:-

"I wandered around the castle walls, a Bible under my coat and a black-tipped feather in my hair. The ancient temple. I was barefoot in that early morning. I smeared my face with the sandstone mud. My guts ached for I had yet another hangover. I came down the hill and had tea and a scone by the shore."

Before being sectioned under The Mental Health Act:-

"My brother said I should see the psychiatrist. He was wrong. They all were. I stormed off on a long hike to the river and back again. A social worker called Cherry came and she was very fair. I saw the psychiatrist. She had a young protege with her I became nervous when they came. The asked me: What do we mean when we say you shouldn't throw stones at a glass house? Like a fool I tried to answer and got muddled and anxious and that was that. They said - You've now got to go into hospital under a section. You are dangerous but I never really thought so. It was their thinking that I was crazy that really narked me."

In the mental hospital:-

"One day Nurse B called me in the foyer and said something like - "Your father has had to be taken into hospital - it isn't serious". I could have cried for I knew that my father's weak old heart would be under strain in those days. They let him out after two weeks and I was let out a week after that for the weekend."

⦿

There were more painful extracts I might have lifted from those pages but I decided to suppress them. Simon did  not choose to become the man he was. It just happened -  with the assistance of cannabis of course. Twenty eight years after my father's premature death, my mother died too and once again Simon had played a big part in her demise. She had become afraid of him and yet supported him to the end of her life. I don't think he ever really knew what hurt he had caused. He was a hard brother to love.

32 comments:

  1. My best friend is going through something very similar with her sister at the moment. I'm very afraid that the sister will take my friend down with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about that Helen. So much hidden pain.

      Delete
  2. I know many brothers who are as different as apples and oranges. Nurture might play some parts but there was probably a genetics factor in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Development is complicated - like a lottery.

      Delete
  3. Twenty-three is about the age that many schizophrenics first begin to truly experience symptoms. And I'm sorry, Mr. P. but cannabis does not cause the sort of illness that your brother was experiencing. He was no doubt trying to self-medicate with it because he knew he needed help. I know that Simon caused a great deal of pain for your family but he obviously knew this and did not want that to happen and yet, he couldn't help it. I don't think you understand the depth of horror that mental illness can cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what makes you presume that I do not understand the depth of horror that mental illness can cause. There is a large body of research evidence connecting cannabis use with psychosis. Of course this connection only happens with a small percentage of cannabis users. See for example:-
      https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/oct/28/risks-of-cannabis-use-for-mental-health-treatment-outweigh-benefits
      and
      https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/16/skunk-cannabis-triples-risk-psychotic-episodes-study

      Delete
    2. I should not have implied that you did not understand the horror of what Simon was going through. I just know that unless someone has suffered from mental illness themselves, it is impossible to understand how illogical and overwhelming it is.
      I looked at those articles. The first is over three years old and the second is over eight years old and talks about a specific form of cannabis which may or may not have even been around when Simon started his usage of marijuana. I know that the use of cannabis can indeed trigger psychotic episodes but the underlying disease process that causes the psychosis in the first place is generally already there.

      Delete
    3. If you want to read more recent reports on that connection they can be easily found through Google searching. And regarding suffering, I don't think a cancer nurse needs to have had cancer to provide understanding care to the victims of cancer. Every member of my family and his oldest friends all witnessed the decline in Simon's mental health as a direct result of cannabis use. It was heartbreaking.

      Delete
  4. Interesting that Simon left notes of is thinking at that time. There was a lot of mixed up thinking more than mixed up just plane being off the rails. I hope that looking back will help you to understand the situation and come to terms with his death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those six pages certainly helped my understanding Red.

      Delete
  5. As you say, he was a hard brother to love, but like your mother, you never gave up on him and supported him until the very end and did all those jobs after his death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very sad to read his thoughts, knowing the context. I feel sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon was a shadow of the man he might have been. Maybe that is why he often seemed to brim with bitterness. Speaking occasionally to him over the phone, he only ever wanted to talk about himself. It was as if nobody else's lives really mattered.

      Delete
  7. As I read this, today I received a message from a blogger I have known a long time detailing a family mental health issue. It is not a happy subject but it is a real matter that can affect many lives, and boy as I discovered, can't people be so quick to judge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this still shadowy area, there is a lot of judgementalism as I have discovered too Andrew.

      Delete
  8. I have spent more time contemplating this post than any post ever before. 45 minutes to be precise. Much of that time was wondering why you decided to publish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess Graham - I am not entirely sure myself. When it came to publishing this post, I decided to omit the more painful material so the extracts I was left with appear a little bland - but still giving insight into who Simon was. These were his words - not my own.

      Delete
  9. He lost his way somewhere. Maybe he expected too much of himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive'. - Sir Walter Scott.

      Delete
  10. I wonder if maybe his brain was wired a little differently that the cannabis had such an effect on him. Many people over-abuse substances and still appear normal, functioning normally, yet others like Simon fall victim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it Elsie. Some people seem to emerge from cannabis use totally unscathed.

      Delete
  11. The secondary impact of illness, on loved one's and caregivers, is often overlooked. I hope that writing about it is helpful for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it has. Thank you for your thoughtful reflection Mr Penguin.

      Delete
  12. Your poor parents, that must have been so awful to watch. I hope they didn't blame themselves. I blamed myself for many years for my son's drug use and subsequent decline into mental illness or brain damage, or both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother certainly blamed herself to the end of her life. But she was not to blame. I am certain that without cannabis the last fifty years of Simon's life would have been so much better and happier too.

      Delete
  13. It's sad he did not take to the help offered him, but then again, all we can do is offer help, it's up to the person in question to accept it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannabis screwed him up. He was never the same again.

      Delete
  14. I'm glad that reading Simon's words has helped you, Neil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Ellen. I guess that was part of the reason for posting those extracts.

      Delete
  15. In publishing Simon's words you made his life mean something to strangers.
    We need to be educated; we know lockdown has harmed children emotionally.

    His words have an arresting quality like any good writing, memoir or fiction.
    *I came down the hill and had tea and a scone by the shore.*

    Somehow this made me smile, reminding me of a Stevie Smith novel.
    It has been an agony for you to publish Simon's diary.
    No harm has been done, only good surely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have also had friends who suffered mental health issues at the same time they used cannabis for prolonged periods. But there's a chicken-or-egg question here -- is cannabis the CAUSE of those issues, or were my friends self-medicating to relieve issues that they were already (perhaps inwardly) struggling with? Causality can be hard to prove, I think.

    (Having said that I've never been a huge fan of cannabis myself and I'm glad I mostly steered clear!)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits