20 July 2023

Melonhead

In the hills of Yorkshire and Derbyshire, I often come across old stone gateposts like this one. Soon I am wondering about who hewed it and when. I am thinking about the men who manoeuvred it into position and how they talked to each other. What were their values? How far were their horizons? Of course I will never know - I can only imagine.

Weatherwise, July has been very unsettled here in England but today a dry day with some sunshine was promised so I planned a walk east of the village of Holme up in the Kirklees district of West Yorkshire. I was last in that neighbourhood in September 2020.

Above, I was walking along a track to Yateholme Reservoir when I spotted this photo opportunity.  Deep pink blooming willow herb with the village of Holme beyond. Below, I was looking down on Ramsden Reservoir. There are several small reservoirs in this district - saving water for the populous West Yorkshire region. You can see that the reservoir is only half full.
By Brownhill Reservoir, I stopped to admire somebody's creative handiwork A planter in the shape of a swan has been fashioned using three old tyres. I don't think I have seen such a thing before. The world is filled with old tyres and perhaps more of them could be used in this way.
Below, specially for Ms Moon, a picture of a mama sheep and a lamb born earlier this year. In the background you can see Emley Moor TV mast - the tallest free standing structure on this island and the 25th tallest tower in the world.
It was at this curious gate that tragedy almost struck when I stopped to snap the picture. Halfway down the hill I realised that I did not have my precious hat with me. It is a cheap bucket hat that I bought in Malta a decade ago. It is precious because I have an unusually large head - the size of a water melon - and so I can never find hats that will fit me. 

I decided to trudge back up the hill, telling myself that I had a 50/50 chance of finding my hat and there it was lying on the path near that gate. The smile that split my face in two suggested that I might have just won a million pounds on The National Lottery.
It was a lovely walk but I was zonked out at the end. Use it or lose it as they say.

27 comments:

  1. Lovely photos as always, but I truly love the one of the wildflowers with the rolling hills and village in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob. I appreciate that comment.

      Delete
  2. That photo with the pink flowers in the foreground is beautifully framed! I love that swan--how clever. I too have a large head and generally eschew hats for that reason. I've also inherited the famous (infamous?) Grieve mane of hair which you've seen in its glory on my first cousin twice removed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Yorkshireman with an unusually large head ?
    I never heard the like. Next you'll be saying you saw a drunken Scotchman.
    I covet that gatepost with the eye of Horus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays farmers wouldn't hew a gatepost from stone, they'd order concrete or tamalised wooden posts.

      Delete
  4. Lots to see on this walk. The valley and resevior are very scenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a scenic area, situated as it is between wild moorland and tamed farmland.

      Delete
  5. The photos are gorgeous, but the tyre swan brings back memories. i'm going to borrow that picture, with your permission, and write about it next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will have to contact my agent about that Elsie!

      Seriously though, I am honoured and grant you my full permission!

      Delete
  6. The gatepost is my favourite of this set of pictures. Beautiful Yorkshire!! Soon, very soon, I shall be there, too! (Not "there" as in that exact spot, of course.)
    The lamb looks almost bigger as its mother with all its wool still on.
    A half-empty reservoir is certainly cause for concern.
    Congratulations on finding your Malta hat again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire is waiting for you! The bunting is out in Ripon and the brass band have been practising "Das Lied der Deutschen".

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen a tyre swan for years. They normally fall into a neglected state quite quickly.
    It is very unlikely that you would forget your hat when our summer sun is shining. It is awful to lose something of no great value but suits it purpose very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very attached to the hat and I loved the way it has faded.

      Delete
  8. We have a friend who lives at Holme. All he can grow is raspberries.
    The height of t'mast has changed slightly during the work to replace the transmitter at the top. When they erected the temporary mast next to it, the temporary mast was smaller, but now it is taller. I have just looked out of my window to check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met a man in Holme. The public footpath went right through his garden. His wife grows the flowers and he grows the vegetables. It was all looking abundant and beautifully well cared for. Your friend should try harder.

      Delete
    2. He has the highest house in the village, practically on Holme Moss. Hardly anything grows on that soil, although it does better in pots.

      Delete
  9. Glad you found the hat, walk early and often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That walk told me that I am out of shape because I have hardly done any walking of note in the past month.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for the sheep picture! I think it may be time for Mama to consider weaning her baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look around the same size but psychologically I guess it gives the lamb the feeling of still being wanted.

      Delete
  11. How do they create that little hole in that post, Neil? Do they chisel it out?
    Love your photos and I'm glad you found your hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would expect that they chiseled the hole out but if the post should have cracked I would imagine that the air might have been filled with expletives.

      Delete
  12. And no picture of the wayward hat? What kind of a report is that? Ah, well, it was a nice trek filled with lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent photos YP. The old stone gatepost is from a time when life had an altogether slower pace. Time to take care over such things as a post.
    The swan is charming - not something I've ever seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you found your hat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the same problem with hats and I'd be equally upset to lose one of mine!

    I found a very similar tire swan planter when I visited Coventry last year:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/sreed99342/51944377894/

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits