28 June 2024

Details

Street scene on Maxwell Street

The centre of Glasgow still bustles. It is a city of over a million people. It was once thought of as the second most significant city in the entire British Empire.

Poverty is still there and sometimes - out on the streets - you see people who have fallen off  the roller-coaster  of ordinary life entirely.  They ask for change. They smoke cigarettes. They are thin. Their eyes dart about. Their skin is pale grey. They look out for one another in ways that the affluent and advantaged will never know.

They may have pronounced limps, scars or aluminium crutches. They may have botched tattoos and they may carry cans of strong lager. I guess that some of them have drug issues and I imagine that growing up was not easy for any of  them - not warm and secure with encouragement. In a sense, life has passed them by. They simply strive for survival day by day.

The real "McDonalds" on Trongate

Don't get me wrong - those desperate people clinging to the bottom rung of the ladder do not represent typical Glaswegians. Yet they are there like shadows. I noticed them.

And I also noticed the Somalian and Sudanese food delivery guys. They have electrified bicycles with big tyres and they carry food orders in big insulated rucksacks courtesy of "Just Eat", "Deliveroo" and "Uber Eats". They are surely doing their best to make new lives for themselves - a long way from home.

Jewellers' shop window in Argyle Arcade

In contrast, The Argyle Arcade is home to a dozen top quality jewellers. Diamond rings and luxury branded watches  sparkle in the display windows bearing price tags to make one's eyes water.

In the "Tolbooth Bar" on Wednesday afternoon I watched Caroline and Billy provide a pleasant set of tunes that reached to teatime as I drank a pint of "Caledonian Best"...
Her eyes they shone like diamonds
I thought her the queen of the land
And her hair it hung over her shoulders
Tied up with a black velvet band.

I have always liked that song.
Caroline and Billy in "The Tolbooth Bar"

28 comments:

  1. We seem to be getting higher population of homeless all the time. Some of our homeless should be in various care facilities as they are in no way able to look after themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we visited Vancouver we were surprised about the number of street people we saw.

      Delete
  2. My Scotland tour bypassed Glasgow and I would like to go; perhaps another trip is called for. I keep thinking that there are Grieve connections there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glasgow is Scotland's true economic capital. I just checked out Christopher Grieve's Wikipedia page but could find no special link with Glasgow - for him anyway. There's a memorial to him at Langholm.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I've been to Langholm on a Christopher Murray Grieve "tour," organized by my Scottish friends when I was staying with them in Edinburgh. I think the Glasgow connection is more through my grandfather, who was CMG's first cousin.

      Delete
  3. Alluz tot y'were one uh dem revolutionaries, YP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently passed a homeless man on the street who reminded me of someone in my past, just a bit further along the street was a doughnut shop, so I bought some and a hot coffee and took them back to the homeless person. I don't normally do such a thing, but he looked so much like a boy I'd liked in high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to do. But if we did it every time we encountered a homeless person we would soon be destitute ourselves!

      Delete
  5. The contrast between rich and poor (and those somewhere in the middle) is particularly easy to see in big cities. From your own experience, you know how even a loving upbringing can result in totally different courses of lives for the children, partly by their own choices, partly by circumstances.

    As for luxury jewellers, here in Germany one of their characteristics is that there are very few items on display in their windows... and no price tags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That arcade in Glasgow must get so very few visitors on an average week day.

      Delete
  6. A very caring post YP. My dad's old Dubliner's record began playing in my head. I love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glasgow sounds like an edgy place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slightly more edgy than Ramsey I should think.

      Delete
  8. Nice jewellers. What did Shirley make you buy for her?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A city of contrasts, it seems! - but then I suppose most big cities are (partly depending on which streets you choose to walk)...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been to Scotland twice, but have never been to Glasgow. Before I depart this earth, I need to go back as I am of Scottish ancestry. The town that I live in here in Virginia was named after a town in Scotland, which I have been to when I visited Scotland the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Depart this earth"? Are you on an astronaut training programme Michael?

      Delete
    2. Not even close! Just feeling my age with being dragged down with Covid.

      Delete
  11. Homelessness becomes more of an issue and the rich get richer and the poor live p[aycheck to paycheck; lose your job, have an illness, incur some significant debt, and you could be out on the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be so easy to fall off the conveyor belt of so-called "normal life".

      Delete
  12. When we were in Athens, Georgia we saw so many people who were living on the streets. It was incredibly sad. And right here in Tallahassee there are many, many homeless people. There is an encampment of them right behind a little rental property we own and Glen has tried so hard to figure out how to balance out being a good business owner and being a compassionate human being. It is a long and complicated story. I do not know what the answer is. It is incredibly complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most persons with disabilities or illnesses can be self sufficient, but as a society we don't support them in employment that matches their ability and care that meets their needs. We can, and should do better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have often fancied a trip to Glasgow. Would you recommend it for an aging woman on her own?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many of us are not that far from falling off the conveyor belt, family and friends prop us up if we're lucky. I've never been to Scotland but would like to visit. My father's family were miners near Airdrie.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits