17 November 2016

Soup

Today began brightly. I pulled back the curtains and looked out on a beautifully illuminated autumnal morning. A couple of magpies and a crow were competing for the stale bread I scattered on the lawn last evening. Perhaps a sunny country walk was in order or more leaf raking.

Marmalade on toast and a big mug of tea. Familiar circle of  internet visits - BBC News, Hull City News, favourite blogs, emails. Hillary Clinton seems to have aged ten years in a week now her stylists have disappeared. In my email "inbox" it comes as no surprise to discover that Premier Park Ltd have rejected my parking appeal and now I must strengthen my evidence to make my next appeal to an independent body called POPLA (Parking on Private Land Appeals).

By the time I get back upstairs for morning ablutions, the early brightness has submitted to clouds filled with Atlantic Ocean water. It is just a matter of time before the rain comes down.

A few minutes ago, sitting at the dining room table, I drew a detailed map of the "Xercise4Less" property on which the evil, law-breaking Yorkshire Pudding dared to leave "Clint" for half an hour. And as I drew and annotated, the heavens opened and gallons of rain tumbled from the November sky.

It looks horrible out there right now. No chance of a walk or any leaf raking. I need to do some shopping and I need to measure the distance between my parking space and the distant Premier Park warning sign. Perhaps a bowl of pea and ham soup is now in order with a slice of toast. Who knows? It might brighten up in half an hour.

England's weather is so fickle. You never know what you are going to get. Sometimes we talk about "four seasons in one day" and maybe this is one of those. Even as I finish this blogpost the rain is easing off and the sky is brightening once more. Soup and then "Lidl" methinks.

25 comments:

  1. On the lunchtime weather forecast on TV, Norfolk was given a severe weather warning. i.e strong winds. But nobody mentioned a storm worthy of Armageddon. It's been quite an exciting 30 minutes, and although the world hasn't actually come to an end, it would have been a magnificent way to go. Definitely better than a whimper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strong winds? Does everybody in Norfolk enjoy pea and ham soup then?

      Delete
  2. It was the same in the metropolis this morning, only the other way round. I woke to dull, cloudy skies, but, intent on going Christmas shopping, I donned fleece, waterproof jacket with hood, scarf and gloves and went out into the gloom. Half an hour later and in the midst of the shops,I was faced with blue skies and boiling hot tropical moments. I was decidedly overdressed! Four seasons in a day is about right!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You went out in a very sexy outfit ADDY! Are you a model?

      Delete
  3. I would warn you to refer back to John Gray's blog post of last week when he discussed the ramifications of eating pea and ham soup!

    Xercise4Less sounds like some tacky place that should exist in my town, not in England. Good luck fighting the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THHWAAARP!

      The trendy misuse of English in the gym club's title adds fuel to my parking ticket battle.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like the sort of day we had here YP. This afternoon, when I went to my weekly hair appointment, it was absolutely pouring with rain. It didn't ease off until it began to get dark. And it is bitterly cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. with all that rain you'll need another hair appointment tomorrow Mrs W!

      Delete
  5. What do you suppose Donald Rump would look like without his stylists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would like your average seventy year old guy and not like an orang utan.

      Delete
  6. RE parking tickets: why not just ignore them and all the threatening letters that follow? When I lived in Singapore, I accumulated lots of tickets and finally fled the country leaving them all behind. Ditto when I didn't pay the hated poll tax in the UK before leaving for Australia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have carefully researched my situation regarding this particular parking ticket and I know that if I simply ignore it I will be pursued by bailiffs. Some can be ignored but not this one Margaret.

      Delete
  7. Here we have a saying, "If you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes!" That is my favorite soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait ten minutes? That's how it was today Red. Pea and ham soup is good for creating evil-smelling wind. Whoops! I just let one go.

      Delete
    2. That must e good soup!!!

      Delete
  8. Pea and ham soup is my favourite and I had it for lunch today, so re the storm this afternoon, was it a case of 'Mea Culpa?' If so it was 'mea culpa to the power of about 1.000000000billion, give or take the odd 20 pence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me Lesley. I never was much good in matters of mathematics.

      Delete
  9. marmalade toast!

    doesn't every place in the world say they get four seasons in a day? we say it in Sydney and melbourne has a weather reputation built on it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they say it much in places that have more settled, predictable weather patterns Kylie.

      Delete
  10. I'd love it to be a rainy day here today...and tomorrow, and the day thereafter, but no rain is predicted...not for a few days yet, anyway.

    I'd love a bowl of soup, too. I might have to go and have a dig in my freezer. I do have some homemade chicken and vegetable soup hiding away in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup seems best in wintry weather and looking at your Queen Sland weather right now, it does not appear wintry. By the way, who was Queen Sland?

      Delete
    2. My state was named in honour of dear old Queen Victoria....it's been noted she was highly amused!

      Delete
  11. Pea and ham soup - yum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Command Mistress Parrot to concoct you some but don't dribble it down your front.

      Delete
  12. It certainly is if it's what caused the mega storm over my little village yesterday, Strange but the next village wasn't affected at all. They must have been eating boring old chicken soup (with out even any sweetcorn. That might have livened it up a bit, well at least enough to have caused a discreet rumble or two)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits