24 November 2022

Innocence

My pub friend Bert  was 86 years old today. He is a great one for singing and though he's forgetting a lot of things now and worrying that he might be "losing it", he still remembers a bunch of songs all the way through.

On Tuesday night, he sang "Walking My Baby Back Home" once more. It is a lovely song, made famous by Johnnie Ray (1927- 1990). It paints a picture of a sweet and innocent relationship - nothing salacious or suggestive - just a guy and a gal out on a date.

Written in 1930 by Roy Turk  and Fred Ahlert, Johnnie Ray's version of the song reached number 4 in the American charts in 1952 and number 14 in Great Britain. In 1953 it appeared in a film of the same name.

Many notable people have recorded it - including Ella Fitzgerald, Van Morrison, Dean Martin and  James Taylor but it is Johnnie Ray's version that we know best...

Well now, gee, but it's great
After staying out late
Walking my baby back home
Arm in arm over meadow and farm
Walking my baby back home

We go along harmonizing a song
Or I'm reciting a poem
The owls go by and they gave me the eye
Walking my baby back home

We stop for a while, she gives me a smile
And cuddles her cheek to my chest
We start in to pet and that's when I get
Her powder all over my vest
And just when I try to straighten my tie
She wants to borrow my comb
One kiss and then we continue again
Walking my baby back home...

I made Bert a card for his birthday and bought him a special scotch egg from "The Banner Crust" and because it was raining I transported him in Clint's sleek silver bodywork to the nearby Sainsbury's supermarket where he had a couple of jobs to do including drawing pension money and renewing his lottery ticket. Then I took him home.

He was going out with his family tonight for a slap-up celebratory meal. It's not every day that humans hit eighty six. Happy Birthday Bert!

28 comments:

  1. That's a nice old song, I almost think I've heard it before, but the memory isn't clear, it must have been very long ago, or I'm confusing it with something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been hard to escape that song.

      Delete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday to Bert! He has a good friend in you, but I guess this is because he is a good man in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a sweet and innocent song. Compare it to some of the modern rap song video clips which really offend me. Eighty six is an above average age. Well done Bert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes that rap shit is delivered so fast that they get away with a lot of nastiness and aggression. Johnnie Ray didn't need to rap.

      Delete
  4. Aww, wonderful. I hope he enjoyed his birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the song JayCee though I bet you have heard it before. Using your new bluetooth hearing aids you could get Lord Peregrine to dance you around the church house to the sound of Johnnie Ray.

      Delete
  5. Good friends make birthdays better

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice song . Bert sounds like he's got a great zest for life and knows how to party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he could probably drink you under the table Dave! He's like a fish.

      Delete
  7. Belated birthday greetings to Bert. He'll have so many stories to tell and so many songs to sing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has and I have heard them all more than once .

      Delete
  8. Many Happy Returns of the Day Bert..... he sounds great . I know that song well. My Dad played saxaphone and clarinet and was in a band and my mum sang so we grew up with all of those songs. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this blogpost stirred some of those precious memories Jacqueline.

      Delete
  9. Happy belated birthday to Bert. We should all be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a lesson to us all and another of his favourite songs - "Always Look On The Bright Side of Life" really sums him up.

      Delete
  10. Please let Bert know that Melinda from Ontario wishes him a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I tell him that he'll be on a plane to Ontario with a bunch of flowers, ready to knock on your door with hope and a twinkle in his eye.

      Delete
  11. Eighty-six! What a glorious age to make it to. We should all be so lucky. Happy Birthday to Bert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's as tough as they come but it's his upbeat, cheerful attitude that has made him endure.

      Delete
  12. Many of us worry about losing it but it comes with the age. Johnny Rae? I liked him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased this rang a bell for you Red.

      Delete
  13. I never knew all the words to that song - just the title chorus, I guess. Happy Birthday, to your friend, Bert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bert inspired me to Google it. As I say, I love the innocence of it and I had forgotten the term "petting".

      Delete
  14. I like the Ella Fitzgerald version - but then I like almost anything by her (not that she was an innocent - far from it!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did someone mention scotch eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so happy that your friend has reached such a ripe old age. We can all hope to do the same, eh brother? What you did for him was wonderful. You are such a good friend.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits