8 May 2024

Excited

Well my friends, I have to admit  that I am becoming rather excited about next week. We have rented a villa in southern Portugal and we are flying out there on Saturday from John Lennon Airport in the suburbs of Liverpool. In fact, the villa is the very one shown in the two photos that accompany this blogpost.

When I say "we", I mean all nine of us - Shirley and I, Frances, Stewart, Phoebe and Margot, Ian, Sarah and Zachary. We have pushed the boat out on this private rental. It gets excellent reviews. We wanted the family holiday to be something really special to mark Ian's forthcoming fortieth birthday with a nod back to my seventieth birthday last October.

You never know what might lie ahead. Sometimes you have got to seize the moment and I have a feeling that this holiday will be one we will always remember for good reasons - when the babies were young and we were all in good health. I remember these lines from Bob Dylan's musical ode to his former wife, Sara. He recalled happy family holidays with their four children:-
Sleepin' in the woods by a fire in the night
Drinkin' white rum in a Portugal bar
Them playin' leapfrog and hearin' about Snow White
You in the marketplace in Savanna-la-Mar...
By the way, I realise that Savanna-la-Mar is in Jamaica and not Portugal.

Because of the trip to Portugal, I will not be able to blog in my now customary daily manner. However, taking a leaf out of Travel Penguin's book, I want to make some use of the "scheduling" facility in "Blogger". In fact I have already scheduled a new "Quiztime" blogpost for Sunday night. If I can simply find the time there may be other posts too.
⦿
LATER: I have now pre-prepared more scheduled posts for next week. Each one is a poem I created along with a picture that I snapped some time in the past. Please note I won't be replying to any comments until I get back home.

47 comments:

  1. Enjoy. Having the family all in one place is always such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to happen but who knows if it will ever happen again.

      Delete
  2. Have a great get together with your family. With globalization many families are not able to get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point Red. Many families are widely scattered.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful family event this is going to be! Enjoy every moment. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't anticipate there will be any significant falling out.

      Delete
  4. That looks like heaven. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A luxurious place away from daily realities.

      Delete
  5. Wow, looks like a great place for y'all to have a good time! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do one of your architectural posts on the villa Bob!

      Delete
  6. The house and locale look like an idyllic spot where you will make the best of family memories. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Villa looks fabulous! I hope you all have a wonderful time making happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous yes! Like a fable or from a lifestyle magazine.

      Delete
  8. A villa in Spain! Do you have a cook and cleaner? I'm sure you are very much looking forward to a large family holiday in the sunshine. Mass family gatherings are so rare now, so treasure the experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Spain Andrew... That's next door.

      Delete
  9. I hope you all have a wonderful time and make some special memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! I am sure you will all have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will try... and probably succeed.

      Delete
  11. It looks idyllic, and what a view. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There#' a lighthouse just fifty metres away.

      Delete
  12. How exciting, Portugal is on my need to see list, we will be in France next week

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you have a marvellous family holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having the entire family together is such a precious time. Enjoy your time together and all the beautiful moments and memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will follow your instruction Diaday.

      Delete
  15. Faro here you come. Hope you get lots of sunshine and drink plenty of Super Bock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink Tetley's Dave. None of that foreign stuff.

      Delete
  16. This sounds like a dream. I am so glad you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it was Ian's idea in the first place and what a good idea it was too.

      Delete
  17. What a posh looking place. I'm not sure how anyone could expect to have a good time in a place like that.

    All my posts are scheduled, sometimes up to two weeks in advance. I like having some time to think about things and weed out the weaker posts before they get published. It also takes the pressure off of writing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted a beach hut made from driftwood but the others said No!

      Delete
  18. Wonderful, stupendous, outstanding, lovely, heart-warming, .......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I won't be here for the little ones but right now I am.

      Delete
  19. Oh my goodness, Neil, doesn't that look fabulous! I sure hope it is and you all have a wonderful time and beautiful weather.
    Sorry I missed yesterday's post and just caught up now. What a sweet photo of Phoebe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen. It does indeed look fabulous.

      Delete
  20. Hope you all have a wonderful week. The villa looks great. I'm not much of a traveller myself but for some reason I keep watching lots of episodes of the British TV show 'A Place in the Sun'. This place looks like the luxury properties only the hosts of the show usally get to have a peek at! (rather than the property hunters with a limited budget...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could certainly have rented a much cheaper, less spacious property hemmed in by other villas.

      Delete
  21. Have a great time

    ReplyDelete
  22. How exciting! I hope y'all have a wonderful time and please bring home lots of stories and photos to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The main thing is I don't want any disasters or crises.

      Delete
  23. I have scheduled my answers to the quiz.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits