27 May 2024

Kindness

On Saturday night, the band Coldplay were the headliners at a big outdoor concert in Luton, Bedfordshire. Beforehand, Chris Martin, Coldplay's lead singer, was being driven along in a Mercedes. Closing in on the venue, he noticed a fan who was clearly in discomfort, leaning against a security fence.

Chris asked his driver to pull up and sixty four year old Saundra Glenn was invited to join him on the back  seat. They drove into the back stage area, chatting away like best friends. Then Chris  asked for her to be driven in a golf buggy to her  ticketed location.

Saundra suffers from osteoarthritis and "a dodgy right hip" so she appreciated Chris Martin's  charity. She said, "He gave me an act of kindness that I'll forever be grateful for."

Being kind to others in an altruistic manner with no thought of personal benefit is something that I think we all applaud. Even though Chris Martin is a very wealthy pop superstar with a personal fortune of over £160 million, he is clearly not too big-headed to assist others.

He has been an emissary for Oxfam and has supported various other charities. In America he has always vocally  backed Democrats including Barack Obama. In 2009, in Sydney with the rest of Coldplay he performed  at The Sydney Cricket Ground to raise money for victims of bushfires and floods in Victoria and New South Wales.

Simple, quiet acts of kindness with no hope of reward or praise are arguably what keeps the human race ticking over. Without such behaviour the world would be a much sorrier place.

In Chris Marin's honour here's a Coldplay song from 2021, performed with the support of Selena Gomez...

32 comments:

  1. Acts like Chris's should be publicized for others to see and copy. You've publicized this kind act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you would do the same if you were driving to one of your big concerts in a Mercedes Red.

      Delete
  2. Good people, do good things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice man. I couldn't remember any of their songs but once I checked, I was familiar with a couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Yellow" is perhaps their most famous track but I wanted to post something else.

      Delete
  4. Seems like a nice chap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he would give you a lift if he spotted you hitch hiking down to Douglas to do some leisure shopping without Basil Fawlty.

      Delete
  5. A perfect gentleman, being kind is a simple way of sharing love and giving hope to other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect he never intended this small action to become news.

      Delete
  6. It's so nice to read of random acts of kindness like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. News stations often forget to mention such moments.

      Delete
  7. Perhaps he could do a few gigs for free? A lot of bands have to tour these days because they make very little from records sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coldplay do more than most. You and I could form a band called Hotplay. We'd dress is tight silk stage suits with sequins and bouffant hairstyles.

      Delete
  8. That was a very kind thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and unsung. It seems that it was Saundra who ran with it.

      Delete
  9. What a sweet thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to read a story about kindness. We need to see more of these stories as they don't always get covered by the news. Coldplay has always been great. I think my favorite song of theirs is "Fix You".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes "Fix You" is one of their best Ellen.

      Delete
  11. "To who much is given, much is expected." I didn't realize it was a bible verse until I looked it up but I do agree with it. He did a kind thing and the world needs a lot more kindness , always. That's a lovely song you posted. I'm a huge fan of Selena Gomez, in part because she's talented and in part because she has shared her struggles with mental illness. I'd love to give her a huge hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you appreciated the song Nurse Lily.

      Delete
  12. I have heard of Coldplay but I think that is the first time I have listened to one of their songs.

    I personally feel as if there is a lot of kindness out there in the world that happens every single day but sadly, very little of it gets noticed and publicized. Our news is mostly focused on the reverse.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet another reason to love Coldplay & Chris Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was such a touching story to read. There truly are good people in the world. And thanks for the video, I hadn't heard that song, and Chris Martin and Coldplay are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased to be the one who led you to that song Michael.

      Delete
  15. I bet he has also carried out a lot of similar acts we have not got to hear about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some famous people make sure that their acts of kindness are publicised... but I do not think that Chris Martin belongs to that mindset.

      Delete
  16. I like Coldplay; I didn't realize that Chris Martin was so kind.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story! I hadn't seen this.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits