6 March 2012

21

"21" - not the name of the recent album by English singer-songwriter Adele Adkins but the number of the Pathfinder walk I tackled yesterday - a lovely blue sky sunshiny day. It involved parking in the village of Calver, a long section by the River Derwent and an even longer section along dramatic millstone edges - Baslow, Curbar and Froggatt. Nature called me as I passed "The Bridge Inn" at Curbar so I had to purchase half a pint of bitter and some potato crisps in order to use their "facilities". Resisted the urge to photograph the dinky primary school in Curbar as children were outside playing and you know how it is these days - every man out walking on his own is either a potential murderer or a dirty paedophile Burn him! Burn him! Seven and a half miles and it was meant to take three and a half hours according to the book but I did it in three in spite of my many stops to snap pictures like these:-
"Hirstholme" by the River Derwent
View of cottages at upper Curbar
The Eagle Stone
Curbar Edge
Ripe bulrushes shedding seed fluff on the wind at Calver  Marshes

10 comments:

  1. What lovely weather you had, YP. Three hours? I'm impressed! Life on the old dog yet...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange how nature conveniently calls just as you're passing a pub?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. JENNY Life ON the "old dog"? You mean like parasites?
    SHOOTING PARROTS 'Twas convenient indeed my good fellow and there did one's correspondent quaff foaming ale with ruddy faced sheep farmers as we sang with great jollity - "One man went to mow..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely one done at a cracking pace YP. I see why you like to walk alone. I'm more of a meanderer myself and your walk would probably take me all day !!
    Beautiful weather .
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cardiovascular system must be in fine fettle. And what a great day for walking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry - typo! Do I have to write it out 100 times now, Sir? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. RHYMES A conscious motivation for my walking is to maintain a good level of fitness. When working you're naturally rushing around all over the place but in retirement it's easy to get lethargic.
    JENNY No lines for you my girl! See me in my study where you will see some new extra springy canes on the wall...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Mr. Pudding, still more coincidences. I know that this comment is way late, but since I just received your comment re Flamborough, I decided to browse back in your blogs and found these references to Curbar and Calver. Part of our school observation was in Curbar School. In addition I lived at Calver for a year,while my husband was on staff at Cliff College. My eldest son was about a year and a half and I would walk with him in the pushchair (which I know better as a stroller) from Cliff to Baslow and back. Another wonderful place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, Mr. Pudding, still more coincidences. I know that this comment is way late, but since I just received your comment re Flamborough, I decided to browse back in your blogs and found these references to Curbar and Calver. Part of our school observation was in Curbar School. In addition I lived at Calver for a year,while my husband was on staff at Cliff College. My eldest son was about a year and a half and I would walk with him in the pushchair (which I know better as a stroller) from Cliff to Baslow and back. Another wonderful place to live!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits