5 December 2023

Pitcairn

Let's go somewhere. Somewhere far from here. Somewhere I would have loved to visit in person but now expect that that will never happen. It is Pitcairn Island in the far South Pacific Ocean - a tiny blob on a map, a speck, a particle, a smidgen.   You will find it at 25° 4′ 0″ S, 130° 6′ 0″ W.

Most of us know the story of the mutiny aboard the British naval vessel "The Bounty" back in 1790. Afterwards, nine mutineers along with several Tahitians headed for uninhabited Pitcairn led by Fletcher Christian. They were looking for a new home, a bolthole where they might never be found by the British authorities. Upon arrival, they soon set fire to "The Bounty" which sank in Bounty Bay.

Above - Incredibly, Google Streetview has photo-mapped much of Pitcairn

Even today, descendants of those first settlers reside on the remote island speaking a strange language that is a mixture of eighteenth century English and Tahitian known as Pitkern. The population size reached its peak in 1936 with two hundred and fifty inhabitants but now it's down to forty seven. Some think that the island will reach an unsustainable tipping point but limited tourism is currently helping remaining islanders to stay afloat.

Sadly, Pitcairn has a dark secret that has seemingly been a constant feature of island life in the past and that is the sexual abuse of children. In former times, girls would invariably give birth to their first babies between the ages of twelve and fifteen. It appears that the almost endemic paedophilia is much reduced today and several adult male islanders have spent time in jail for their crimes. We may have travelled to somewhere far from here but I am afraid we couldn't get away from the bad stuff.

I found this fascinating video of a trip that  two young American men made to Pitcairn in recent times. It's twenty minutes long so you might not wish to watch all of it. I felt quite envious and their experience increased my desire to go there. It's a longing that I accept I should probably suppress.

20 comments:

  1. Not the highest point of colonisation. If, indeed, there is a high point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By burning the ship they had no means of escape.

      Delete
  2. Not many people could cope with such isolation. It would be good to be a tourist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surviving there between 1790 and 1800 must have been very challenging.

      Delete
  3. A very beautiful island but far too remote for me to visit. My bucket list is shrinking as I age and think about the time it would take to get someplace, as well as the carbon footprint required to make the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my bucket list there are three or four buckets.

      Delete
  4. I haven't watched the video, it's mid-afternoon here and I'm half asleep, it's nap time for me. I always thought Pitcairn was further north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The island enjoys a mild climate all year round.

      Delete
  5. I do remember its rather seedy side being talked about. However, it does look like paradise to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are crying out for settlers but it is a hell of a long way from anywhere - with no airstrip.

      Delete
  6. I guess that at the time the island's first settlers arrived, such young mothers would have not been regarded as victims of paedophilia, but rather normal as soon as they were of child-bearing age.
    Anyway, as you know, all such small isolated communities hold great fascination for me. Both the good and the bad can breed there largely undisturbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even today they are pretty self-reliant though as the video shows - when supply ships come in, the island shop is well-stocked.

      Delete
  7. I've read a few modern books on Pitcairn and the Bounty and it seems there is a fair amount of evidence supporting the theory but I wonder if in modern times, anyone has used DNA testing to confirm everything?

    I think it would be perhaps the most exciting thing I could think of to spend a year on such an island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a theory Ed. What happened is well-documented. After all, 230 years is not an especially long time.

      Delete
  8. I used to live on an island, and though it had far more than a few hundred people, you can get a sense of isolationism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know. Seems to me like there are probably a lot of other equally amazing islands to visit without the brutal history. But of course, that probably should not influence one as to a trip there. I can see how the very remoteness would call to some people. It certainly did to those two young men.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is holding you back from going?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always been intrigued by remote locations and one of my favorite aspects of Google Earth is the ability to "visit" them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just thankful to have made a very important trip recently. Like you, I doubt Pitcairn will be on any list for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. With time to spare, I watched the video. Very interesting, somehow it was all more modern and 21st century than I imagined! Three or four days would be long enough for me, providing the supermarket was well stocked!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits