22 December 2023

Demonym

When it comes to the English language, there's always going to be something new to learn. It is impossible to know an entire dictionary and besides, with each passing year, new words enter the language and adaptations are made. In relation to usage, established words rise or fall.  English is forever evolving.

I can't remember why this happened but the other day, I wondered if there was a cover-all term that might explain the names that are given to inhabitants of particular places. You know what I mean. In The Netherlands we find The Dutch, people from London are known as Londoners and people from Los Angeles are called Angelinos. "The Dutch", "Londoners" and "Angelinos" are all good examples of demonyms.

The word came into being in English in around 1860 being used mostly in academic circles where it had a certain niche popularity for about twenty years before falling into virtual disuse. Then in the mid nineteen-eighties its use began to rise again.

We find the prefix "demo" in "demographics" and we find the suffix "nym" in, for example "pseudonym", "synonym" and "antonym". "Demo" is to do with population and "nym" or "onym" concerns names or words.

Residents of Sheffield are known as Sheffielders while people from Hull are called Hullensians.  Folk from Leeds are Loiners or Leodensians and those from Birmingham are called Brummies.

Blogger Andrew who creates "From the High Rise" in south eastern Australia is a Melburnian while Elsie (River) in South Australia is an Adelaidean.

It seems that not all settlements have demonyms attached to them. This is, I think, mostly true of villages.

Which demonyms might be accurately attached to you?

51 comments:

  1. Arizonan or North Dakotan. But thinking of the term "demonyms" I can't help but think it might define the Trumpster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Zealander, North Islander, Wellingtonian, Brooklynite! (The latter being my suburb.) Then maybe Mills Roadian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mills Road, Brooklyn, Wellington... Google Streetview here I come.

      Delete
  3. Good info. Hmm. I live in a small town, without a definitive demonym that I'm aware of. We Canadians are often labeled "Canucks." Also, "hosers" haha. I live in Alberta, so "Albertans." I'm comfortable with these. What I don't want to be known as or associated with is "Freedom Convoy-ers" or "Wexiteers." Despite living in Western Canada, I'm a proud Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are Red Deerians or Red Deerites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doubtful about your demonym for the people of Siena being Senese but I've just checked and it seems you correct. Is it a splutter when a Senese coughs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I was right. I am always right which can be quite annoying for others. I accept that.

      Delete
  6. As far as I know, there isn't one for where I live. I'm very close to Tacoma (Tacoman) and sort of near to Seattle. (Seattleite)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could define yourself as a Taco Belle Margaret!

      Delete
  7. And I'm a lifelong Washingtonian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Washington kept slaves... Do you? How many have you got?

      Delete
  8. Carolinian? Florentine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A florentine is a biscuit... or in US English - a cookie.

      Delete
  9. As a collective, Australians are known as Aussies, pronounced ozzies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here in England they are often known as whingers.

      Delete
  10. I'm an Australian, a new south welshwoman and a Sydney sider.
    When I went to St George girls high, I was a St Georgian but though I still live in the St George district, I've never heard St Georgian applied

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have a few demonyms to choose from.

      Delete
  11. I live in the US in the state of Maine so you can call me either a Mainer or a Mainiac. Both are acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a Floridian, and a Tampanian. (But not a Tampan.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that a Tampan is something that women use.

      Delete
  13. I once would be called a northerner. These days I could be a culchie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be a Corkonian... or is that name just for people from Cork City?

      Delete
  14. I am undefinable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay - so I will define you - Manxwoman!

      Delete
  15. I am not sure what people call me behind my back, but I guess Londoner sums me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please sing in cockney: "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner/That I love London town...!"

      Delete
  16. As someone who was born and (still) lives in Ludwigsburg, I am officially a Ludwigsburger. Unofficially, I am a Kastanienbeutel - "bag of chestnuts" is the nickname given to Ludwigsburgers 200 years or so ago when the town was known for its chestnut-tree lined avenues and squares.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm just glad I'm not from Wetwang or Penistone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wetwanger or Penistoner? Hard choice.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Alexandria is a small town in Scotland. I could have sworn you said you were American!

      Delete
  19. I guess Iowan is as good as any. All my ancestors rolled into the area on either side of it becoming a state and for the most part have stayed here ever since. I'm generation six and my kids are the seventh generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An Iowan? But who do you owe? Maybe I can help you out with a few spare bucks.

      Delete
    2. We're notorious for being frugal people!

      Delete
  20. I would be an American, Illinoisan and Napervillian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Napervillan makes me think you might be a villain on the loose Ellen!

      Delete
  21. I could be a South Carolinian or a Camdenite.
    I prefer the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We used to be called Floridians if we lived in Florida. Now we are better known as either Florida Man or Florida Woman. And we shove alligators through fast food restaurant windows while we are on meth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you Floridians sure know how to have a good time!

      Delete
  23. I'm a southerner and, more specifically, an Arkansan. Some might say Arkansawyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your real name Hillary Clinton Kelly?

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits