2 December 2023

Malapropisms

We are all capable of malapropisms but some are more capable than others. The definition of a malapropism is "the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with an amusing effect (e.g. ‘dance a flamingo ’ instead of flamenco )." I was perspired to produce this blogpost by JayCee on The Isle of Man.

"The Reader's Digest" has highlighted numerous memorable malapropisms, including one that concerned the boxer,  Mike Tyson. When he came off  worse in a bout in 2002, a reporter asked him where he went from here. Tyson replied, “I might just fade into Bolivian.”

George W. Bush amassed dozens of malapropisms during his time in The White House including this famous  one: “We cannot let terrorists and rogue nations hold this nation hostile or hold our allies hostile.” Ahem! Surely you meant "hostage" Dubya!

Regarding the word "bigly" that will forever be associated with Trump, back in 2016 before his fake presidency began, he said to Hillary Clinton, "I'm going to cut taxes bigly, and you're going to raise taxes bigly." It is believed that what he meant to say was "Big League" but obviously he had never listened carefully to that term and may never have seen it written down.

As I was telling JayCee, the other day I  heard a presenter on the prestigious "Today" programme on BBC Radio 4 refer to "the climbing crisis" in an item on the environment and COP28 - currently taking place in Dubai. I guess there's a climbing crisis because the world is running out of ropes!

Have you got any remembered malapropisms to shear?

29 comments:

  1. I know I've heard many in my time covering politicians but for the light of me, I can't remember a sincere won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicely done!

      Delete
    2. You should have been a stand-up comedian Bruce!

      Delete
  2. I did a small unit on humor with the kids. We looked at the different types of humor. Malapropism was certainly one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it especially fun when someone of ALLEGED intelligence, or a person in some form of power, misspeaks or just plain doesn't know what they're saying..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have none that I can remember, but I do like these ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate hearing people talk about mute points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember any of the many I used to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that this is not the first sign of dementia!

      Delete
  7. Jesus healing the Leopards. I think they meant Lepers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - leopards - because of the spots!

      Delete
  8. So many people say " off your own BACK", when it should be BAT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I agree with every word you said Meike!

      Delete
  10. "The big boss" where I used to work got all the staff together to announce the successful conclusion of a really important deal. I had to look down at the floor when he declared that it was "the most difficult negotiation in which I have NEVER participated"! To be fair, he was Italian though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one! Thanks for sharing it Treaders.

      Delete
  11. Oh, and I realiize my comment wasn't a malapropism - but it tickled me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have forgotten Hylda Baker. I can say that without fear of contraception.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Using the wrong words are always good for a laugh - as long as it's not yourself making them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, thank you. I am flattened that you were inspired by my bog post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just the other day I told some kid he was "flaunting" the library rules -- when I meant "flouting." Fortunately he didn't catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have made many myself when listening to song lyrics. For example, for decades, I thought Manfred Mann was saying, "Wrapped up like a douche," in his song Blinded By the Light.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A tv show here that began in the 1970s had a star cast member using many malapropisms. That'd be Dorrie Evans in Number 96. I do them for fun at times.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits