7 December 2023

Zephaniah

A lot of good people seem to have died in the last few weeks. Today, I was saddened to learn of the death of Benjamin Zephaniah at the tender age of sixty five. It was a brain tumour that got him.

I guess that most bloggers from other countries will not have heard of him but here in Great Britain, over decades, he had become something of a national treasure. Born into an immigrant West Indian family in the city of Birmingham, he left school without qualifications having being diagnosed as "dyslexic".

Later, it was a meeting with a typewriter mixed with his growing fascination with the lyrics of reggae songs that woke up his poetic voice.

He found a way to make his poetry sing to ordinary people and schoolkids. His topics often involved injustice and the multicultural experience but he could be funny and sweet too, enjoying wordplay, looking at nature and the quirkiness of human existence.

He appeared in "Peaky Blinders" and was a lifelong vegan. He became fluent in Mandarin Chinese and since 2008 had spent much of his time living in the Lincolnshire village of Moulton Chapel near Spalding. Perhaps he found it easier to write there.

In the example poem I have chosen, Zephaniah likens Britain to a kind of cultural melting pot and the poem is written rather like a recipe. Between the lines, you sense he is poking fun at the Britain of country houses and white people hunting on horseback or attending operas - the Britain of Jane Austen or "Downton Abbey".  Especially if you live in our big cities, the Britain of today may appear very different and rather more multi-faceted.

⦿

The British

Take some Picts, Celts and Silures
And let them settle,
Then overrun them with Roman conquerors.

Remove the Romans after approximately 400 years
Add lots of Norman French to some
Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings, then stir vigorously.

Mix some hot Chileans, cool Jamaicans, Dominicans,
Trinidadians and Bajans with some Ethiopians, Chinese,
Vietnamese and Sudanese.

Then take a blend of Somalians, Sri Lankans, Nigerians
And Pakistanis,
Combine with some Guyanese
And turn up the heat.

Sprinkle some fresh Indians, Malaysians, Bosnians,
Iraqis and Bangladeshis together with some
Afghans, Spanish, Turkish, Kurdish, Japanese
And Palestinians
Then add to the melting pot.

Leave the ingredients to simmer.

As they mix and blend allow their languages to flourish
Binding them together with English.

Allow time to be cool.

Add some unity, understanding, and respect for the future,
Serve with justice
And enjoy.

Note: All the ingredients are equally important. Treating one ingredient better than another will leave a bitter unpleasant taste.

Warning: An unequal spread of justice will damage the people and cause pain. Give justice and equality to all.

by Benjamin Zephaniah
(1958 -2023)

47 comments:

  1. I, too, was saddened to hear of his death. That poem is brilliant. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His ideas were often pretty unique and not in the poetry mainstream.

      Delete
  2. That's a cool poem that say much about racism and how we should live together in harmony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good that you read and considered it Red.

      Delete
  3. I find the note and warning particularly relevant to recent events - the contemptible levels of anti-Semitism openly on display. Likewise, the way in which our esteemed police appear to have very different agendas depending on whether you are in silent prayer outside an abortion clinic or are part of a mass Just Stop Oil/Extinction Rebellion protest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different strokes for different folks - could be a police slogan.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful that he didn't let what was decided for him and about him, stop him.
    RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made a special life - a life to be proud about - and mostly just with his own chosen words.

      Delete
  5. I love it, an excellent poem. So sad he is gone and I never heard of him before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have some spare time, you can read more of his poems online.

      Delete
  6. It's a lovely piece of poetry. I had not heard of until I was reading The Guardian this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that nearly everybody in England is familiar with him and I am not the only one to feel saddened by his passing.

      Delete
  7. Love the recipe! I only miss Polish, Bulgarians and Romanians; as far as I'm aware, there are (or were, until Brexit) many immigrants in Britain from those countries. (Germans are probably such a small minority that they don't count.)
    As I am not one to read much poetry or look up poets, I had not come across Benjamin Zephaniah until now. From your description, he sounds like a great mind, alert and creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I mention this before? A German woman lives two doors up from us with her son Luis. Sadly her English husband Andy moved out five or six years ago. She's a lovely human... like Benjamin Zephaniah.

      Delete
    2. No, I don‘t think you have mentioned it before. Is she from the Hildesheim region?

      Delete
  8. Sadly I have never heard of him. Reading his excellent poem, he will be a great loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed that example poem Carol.

      Delete
  9. He was a lovely man. His poem expresses the really mixed up race we are. I have one of his poems, next coming up on my blog 'On Nature'. And the BBC had a short piece on him last night talking about the 'Twisted Corkscrew Willow' in his garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to one of his talks in Chester last year, a talented and incredibly funny man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He broke down barriers with his gift for words.

      Delete
  11. He said he would let us into a secret: some of his best friends were white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The village of Moulton Chapel is almost entirely white.

      Delete
  12. Although this is the first time I heard of him, he seems to have been very talented. A sad loss at that age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He wasn't a high-brow poet. He spoke to ordinary people's preoccupations and characters.

      Delete
  13. Spell check is a godsend for persons living with dyslexia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that poem. I did not know of him until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to have alerted you to him Ellen... even though he has passed away.

      Delete
  15. I have never heard of Benjamin Zephaniah but I do remember Jeremiah Jesus in Peaky Blinders. A brain tumor robbed my mom of her life so I sympathize with him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From tumour diagnosis to death took just eight weeks.

      Delete
  16. I have not heard of him, but that poem shows him for what he was: brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He told it like it was - even though some of his truths were unsettling.

      Delete
  17. Beautiful poem from a brilliant poet. I was saddened to read of his death this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess his death will boost his popularity. Quite ironic that.

      Delete
  18. I remember him from my Labour Party youth. " Fight dem not me". He brought poetry to ordinary people like me. Great man. Sorry to read of his demise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A father to six piglets and ten puppies and an ability to down a crate of Newcastle Brown in an evening... you are not entirely ordinary Dave.

      Delete
  19. The fact that you and Graham both chose to blog about him (and I don't think I have ever seen Graham post about a "personality" before) says a great deal.
    I like his light hearted approach to serious topics. It's a great way to make people think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I noticed that Graham was also moved to honour Benjamin Zephaniah in the time of death.

      Delete
  20. I agree with Kylie. A light hearted approach to serious issues is more likely to reach more people. A sad day even though I had never heard of him before I read Graham's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a lot for integration and understanding.

      Delete
  21. I built a display for him in the library yesterday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm afraid I never heard of him, but then of course, in spite of my love for Britain and the English language, I don't actually live in your melting pot... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He speaks of a different Britain than the one before.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits