21 December 2023

Showtime

 

Fortunately, Sheffield is home to two of England's best regional theatres. They sit next to each other in Tudor Square. Frequently, months can go by without me visiting either The Crucible or The Lyceum but this week I have visited both.

On Wednesday night, Shirley had great seats for the evening performance of Irving Berlin's "White Christmas" in The Crucible. It was slick and endearing  in all regards - a great combination of singing, dancing and  spoken dialogue without a single error that I  could detect. There was also plenty of skilful stagecraft to admire. It's wonderful when a gang of humans can work together  to produce  really magical theatre. And of course most of Irving Berlin's songs are familiar even when you can't pin down exactly when you first heard them. 
"White Christmas" at The Crucible & below - poster for "Beauty and The Beast"

Then today Shirley I attended The Lyceum with Frances, Phoebe and Baby Margot for a matinee performance of the annual pantomime which this year is "Beauty and the Beast". We were up on the balcony, high above the stage.

Phoebe clung to me for security for she is not fond of loud noises but she was never visibly upset and seemed to enjoy the entire show - as far as a small girl can do just before her third birthday.

I hadn't seen a pantomime in years. Throughout the country, pantos are very popular at this time of year. It is a tradition that goes right back to the eighteenth century. They provide light-hearted family entertainment built around  simple and predictable plots but laced with popular songs, corny jokes and topical references. There's never anything very serious about a panto and maybe that's why ordinary families are quite fond of them. Often major parts are taken by pretty well-known celebrities.

Afterwards we went back to Frances and Stewart's house for a curry and to be around with the children while they packed stuff up ready for a long drive down to London tomorrow morning. They won't be returning to Sheffield until Christmas Day.

31 comments:

  1. What a party animal you've become as the year closes. I loved panto when I was young and I expect I still would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could even be on the stage... "He's behind yer!"

      Delete
  2. It really makes a show much better if you have kids with you and can see it through their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The show was just about to start when two hundred 11/12 year old schoolkids filled all the seats behind us. They were very well-behaved.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like 2 fun outings, Neil.
    I'm a grandma again! My middle son's wife, Ningjing, gave birth to my 7th grandchild, Adam Liam DeBerge born today! He's a real cutie but I don't know how to add a photo to the comments so I can't show you. You will have to take my word for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I believe you Ellen! A big welcome to Adam Liam DeBerge! Congratulations to you on becoming a grandmother for the seventh time! Marvellous news.

      Delete
    2. Oh my goodness, Neil, I've realized that when Adam turns my age, it will be 2096!! I wonder if he will ever meet up with your grands?!

      Delete
  4. Oh I miss a good panto. Look behind you! Oh no he didn't. Oh yes he did. And the leading man(boy) was always played by a woman and noone found it odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leading "dame" was a man. He/she must have had a dozen costume changes.

      Delete
  5. Two theatre visits in one week! You are certainly living the high life as well as beginning a life-time tradition of Phoebe and Margot seeing a pantomime each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to go every year myself but yesterday it was nice to be reminded of what pantomime involves.

      Delete
  6. A good festive mix of entertainment you had this week. I have been to more concerts this month than I have been all year (not counting the various events where the village band played - these are not really concerts).
    Who were the celebrities in Beauty and the Beast?
    I hope Frances and Stewart have a safe drive. The weather is awful here, hurricane Zoltan is causing disruptions and difficulties in many parts of Germany, but I am not sure how much of it is felt on the British Isles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had some wild windy weather this week and three or four slates have come off our NEW roof! It's pretty depressing. The fellow who played Danton was Duncan James - a member of a big boy band called Blue. Jennie Dale from a BBC children's channel played the fairy - so not really big names as at some pantos.

      Delete
  7. I think pantomimes are part of a robust tradition in which the participation of the audience is welcome. I love how the theatres are still popular round here. There gaudy grace still kept.
    I missed out on the 'horse award' suggestions. I would recommend Thelwell's fat little ponies I am sure Phoebe would delight in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Robust tradition" - I like that description.

      Delete
  8. I am not a fan of pantomimes.....never went as a child ( too expensive I expect) and the one I took my then 5 yr old son to was awful! We did once go to an " adult" pantomime....that was quite fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is an adult panto one where the entire cast is naked?

      Delete
  9. A panto would be quite mesmerising for a two year old I would think. I hope she enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has an excellent attention span and happily absorbed it all.

      Delete
  10. But you could do your own panto. Shirley could be Beauty, Phoebe could be Little Red Riding Hood, and you could be the Beast. Oh yes you could. "Hello children. I'm playing the Beast. Oh! I am a Beast."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we were doing "Aladdin" you would make the perfect Widow Twanky.

      Delete
  11. Wow. You really are getting into the Christmas spirit. Have a good one, YP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas spirit? I haven't drunk a drop ADDY - apart from a small Bailey's that I had yesterday evening.

      Delete
  12. I live in a very rural area, far from any such amenities and for the most part, love that lifestyle. But I do miss the cultural aspect of being close to top notch theater performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are pros and cons to everything. I have often thought how great it might be to live in a more peaceful, rural location but I am sure that we would miss many of the urban advantages that we enjoy today and perhaps sometimes take for granted.

      Delete
  13. At first i thought The Crucible was the play you were seeing!
    Still, sounds like perfects Christmas and kiddie fare for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is wonderful to have such great venues close by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun! I'm glad that Ms. Phoebe got to see her first stage production.
    We have nothing like pantos here as far as I know. I first heard of them on John Gray's blog and had to look them up. I learn so much from you guys across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I’ve had some of my best times in both of those theatres
    I miss being there on tap xxx

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits