3 September 2018

Suffolk

We are staying in the village of Aldringham. Our modern accommodation is the north wing of a house built in 2000. It is just about perfect for our needs and we are the very first renters. From our deck we see pylons marching away westwards from their starting place at Sizewell B.
Yesterday was a lovely, summery day. Shirley wanted to visit a car boot sale and via the magic of the internet I found one at nearby Friday Street Farm. There were hundreds of sellers there selling all manner of things from wigs to African carvings, from children's clothes to lawnmowers. There were hundreds of visitors too.

I bought two very small ceramic pigs, a bag of Suffolk apples and a biography of Hannah Hauxwell - the legendary Yorkshire farmer and stoic.
The Family of Man by Barbara Hepworth (1970)
at Snape Maltings
St John the Baptist Church in Snape
Then we went on to Snape and Snape Maltings which was once a riverside  industrial complex but is now a varied campus of art galleries, eateries, shops, holiday flats and a concert hall. It was all done very well and we enjoyed our visit there.

Next we travelled on to the seaside town of Aldeburgh - a delightful place. Made all the better because we parked Clint for free so did not have to scrabble for loose change or keep looking at our watches. Aldeburgh was once the home of composer Benjamin Britten and now hosts an annual festival of music.
The Sallop by Maggi Hambling on Aldeburgh Beach
After Aldeburgh we drove on to Thorpeness - a smaller seaside place without the services that coastal visitors seem to require. However, we purchased glasses of Suffolk ale in "The Dolphin" and as  the afternoon was  warm as honey  we sat outside in the pub garden watching the world go by.

It was our first full day in Suffolk, made glorious by the sunshine here at the end of our remarkable English summer.
Contentment on Aldeburgh Beach

17 comments:

  1. How could you resist that stuffed toy with its sad smile? I have not heard of Hannah Hauxwell before, you've made me curious.
    Your day sounds like a perfect end-of-summer day indeed, with hopefully more to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah Hauxwell was made famous in the sixties by a TV documentary. So uncomplaining. Just getting on with her harsh farming life near the Durham border. She died in January of this year. She has a Wikipedia page.

      Delete
  2. Your beaches are just so very, very different than ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we visited Southwold where the beach is nice and sandy.

      Delete
  3. Fraternising with southerners. Is that allowed? Haha. Woodbridge is worth a visit and you're not far from John Constable country and Flatford Mill. Enjoy your break.. at least you have good weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are folk from Suffolk southerners? I thought they were easterners. I need to find out where Flatford Mill is. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  4. You got a free caption for your last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have the gypsy in your soul, Yorkie. You sure are a travelling man...always out and about. We'll soon hear about Clint towing a caravan. He's already flexing his muscles in preparation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint is a good boy. I shall never punish him by forcing him to tow a caravan. I had enough of that kind of holiday when I was a kid.

      Delete
  6. Lovely. I am right back there with you. Perhaps you didn't spot me between the suitcases and blanket and box of food on Clint's back seat, but there I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a back seat passenger Kate. I know you saw Suffolk long before me. In fact, you are the Duchess of Suffolk.

      Delete
  7. I like that scallop sculpture (I think). Sounds like you're having a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant I think it's a sculpture, not that I think I like it

      sheesh

      commenting while stupid, I guess :D

      Delete
    2. Yes it is a sculpture and I believe it has stirred quite a lot of controversy in the past but I rather liked it.

      Delete
  8. Blue skies go on forever........

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits