16 December 2018

Alive

Hello again - it's me! Death did not com to wrap her icy arms around me. The Devil was denied another disciple in those flaming halls of Hell.

At 1.30pm I got to Hull with little trouble and met up with my pal Tony and an armchair Tigers supporter called Carl at the Park and Ride facility near Hessle. We rode to the stadium by bus and had time to pop into a little Polish cafe for late lunches.

The day was freezing cold but being sensible chaps we were suitably attired with hats and gloves and extra layers of clothing. Tony and Carl had even brought flasks of tea for half time when Carl gave me a "Mars" bar.

Some goals are long range shots, others are towering headers but some are scrambled opportunist goals. It's a question of being in the right place at the right time. And that's how it was in the first half of yesterday's match. Two poached goals by Fraizer Campbell. They were enough to send Brentford back to west London with nothing to show for their pre-Christmas trip to Yorkshire.
Fraizer Campbell in action against Brentford yesterday
After the game, I set off home from the Park and Ride not knowing what I might encounter. The warnings had been quite strident - even alarmist but in the event all I met was cold rain sheeting down making visibility difficult. I drove at 50 to 60 mph all the way back until I hit a traffic jam on the M1 motorway.

Ahead there had been a pile up and the blue lights of emergency vehicles flashed in the blackness as rain continued to pelt down. I sat in that jam for almost an hour listening to the radio and pretty  happy that the promise of freezing rain and treacherous driving conditions had not come true.

There was a different tragedy when I stepped in our house. The Christmas tree that Shirley decorated this morning had fallen over. Several baubles were smashed and Lord knows what may have happened to the Christmas lights. Meantime she is at her health centre's Christmas "do" in the city centre. I hope she won't imagine that I stumbled into the tree because I hate it when she whacks me with the rolling pin.

24 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I am pleased this tickled you Grandma!

      Delete
  2. Let's see now, Shirley worked hard all morning decorating the Christmas tree and then went out. In the meantime you are at a ball game and come home to the tree knocked over and ornaments broken. Hmm... might get ready for that rolling pin, just in case! (I do hope Shirley is safe driving home in the bad weather)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't need to drive. She caught the bus home and joined me for a drink in our local pub.I broke the news about the tree there.

      Delete
  3. Are you setting things to right with that tree? I certainly hope you are.
    Glad you had a good day and got home without incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall sort it out later, It needs a couple of lower branches lopping off.

      Delete
  4. No comment - other than - "No comment!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some fans will go to any length to support a team. Good you got back safely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hide the rolling pin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're here to torment us another day, then

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would blame the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I will tell Shirley that a blonde bombshell arrived with a crazy French dog called Rick.

      Delete
  9. It sounds, though, that someone wasn't as lucky as you were on the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Graham. Sadly, we rarely think about the unseen victims of road accidents as we wait in resultant queues.

      Delete
  10. I like the sound of this Carl chap, giving away 'Mars' bars, he sounds like he could be a good friend, lol
    I skipped the description of the game, YAWN, but am glad you made it back safely.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean - YAWN? I have never felt so hurt in all my life.

      Delete
  11. Yay Hull. I'm watching LIV v. MU live this morning and looking at the crowd shots.

    I spot one guy in the stands whose style I quite like. He's wearing a Santa hat. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should copy that style Vivian then you will also look cute! Well, more cute!

      Delete
  12. Good to know you made it back safe and sound, even though you found the Christmas tree fallen over. Maybe there were too many baubles on one side?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the trunk that was the problem. It had been cut at an angle.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits