2 May 2018

874

St Wilfrid's Church, Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Yesterday's weather forecast was clement. Consequently, I considered a walking location. I wanted an area that was new to me knowing that this would involve a significant drive if Clint was willing to co-operate. You see the trouble is that within fifteen miles of this house I have walked every square kilometre.

I ended up driving down the M1, exiting at junction 29 on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border and making for St Wilfrid's Church in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. I had checked out the location via Google Streetview. This is something I often do to visualise key junctions and the availability of suitable parking. Clint is quite picky.

With boots on I was off. First a neb round St Wilfrid's churchyard and then onwards to the wide valley of The River Erewash. Some young cows came to check me out, spellbound by my rugged handsomeness.
The whole area was once blighted by coal mining with railway tracks criss-crossing the landscape. The Erewash was once just a convenient drain for industry. However, nowadays you could easily fail to spot that history for the old rail tracks were closed down years ago, the coal mines have gone and Nature is doing her best to cover up the scars.
Path by The River Erewash
Under the M! motorway to Pinxton where I bought a cheese and onion roll and a pint of milk in a small general store staffed by a small Indian woman. Indian shopkeepers are prepared to work all the hours that God sends and you can come across them in the most unlikely places - like Pinxton for example.
Farm track up Boar Hill
Back under the motorway further north and then up the rising ground to Kirkby Cliff Farm. The paths are not so well-trodden in this area but  was able to find my way to the oddly named Franderground Farm and then up Boar Hill just to the west of Kirkby-in-Ashfield.
The circle was almost complete. "Where the hell have you been?" said Clint when I opened up his rear end and tossed my boots in. 

874? It's the walk number.

29 comments:

  1. It's so green and the cows are rather gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's not clear from the photo but those cows were brand new this year and still only half grown.

      Delete
  2. I'm a little bit envious of you walking all these lovely walks. We used to do them but no longer have the energy, poor old souls. lol
    As for rugged handsomeness, they look a little bit scared to me, lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scared? ... Maybe you are right. There must be some lovely short walks in the Sussex countryside. Even if you and Tom were only tackling one mile at a time it would do you a lot of good. All you need is a good map.

      Delete
  3. You always seem to attract cows on your walks. I wonder why? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a long walk, how far did you go? Streetview can come in very handy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cows, and look at that "footpath" sign! Awesome! I'm hoping to get a walk in this weekend. You're lucky to be able to go out on any "clement" day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will you be doing another section of the London Loop?

      Delete
    2. That's my plan, but we'll see!

      Delete
  6. I would love to visit and walk this area. This is where my father's people are from and the green rolling hills and the lush meadows just steal my heart away :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, walking in the countryside is like a therapy for the soul. It puts things in perspective and you might disturb a couple of ducks as I did yesterday.

      Delete
  7. I love the farm track, it's a lovely photo!
    The saying should go, ”curiosity killed the cow”; they are very enquisitive.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like that particular picture Maria. It is very simple but I waited for the right light to illuminate the scene as fluffy clouds were scudding by.

      Delete
  8. I was wondering where 874 would show up in your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept you waiting till the end Red.

      Delete
  9. Your 874th recorded walk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Only recorded. I am sure there were some others I have not counted.

      Delete
  10. I don't know what's going on! What is causing all this bovine interest? They are always so intrigued by your presence.

    Cows always seem very interested in you, Yorkie. They appear to have an Obsession. Is it your cologne, perhaps? Do you have that Burberry Touch? Or is it your Blue Jeans and your Polo Red, L'Homme?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they mistake me for a great daddy bull as I am prone to talking bull and my approach to life is bullish.

      Delete
  11. I had to smile at the fact you think Franderground Farm is an odd name. I think ALL the place names in your rambles are odd! Quite often I have no idea how you wrap your tongue around them :)

    Lovely countryside. Have I mentioned how similar the terrain is to our province?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that much of Newfoundland is rocky and barren but had no idea that Nova Scotia is so green. I will have a Streetview trip around some of Nova Scotia this weekend. Perhaps I will see your humble cabin.

      Delete
    2. This is a typical view on secondary roads: https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.7660265,-61.1429823,3a,75y,70.2h,83.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC3Y19BgXTAZZ2w45rP1A0A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

      If you follow that road for a click or two of your mouse (just past the farmhouse on the left), look for the bird of prey in the sky to the upper right. I used Satellite view and chose a road at random on Cape Breton Island and happened to find this.

      Delete
  12. Apart from the really good pics YP what I love about your walks is that you know about the terrain and the geography and history...I would just be lolloping along seeing fields and trees and know nothing about where I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a nice thing to say Libby. I am very sensitive to the landscapes I cross.

      Delete
  13. Those cows have a very determined air about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late on that walk I spooked a herd of about fifty bullocks. As they thundered across the field in a big arc I thought I might be doomed... but obviously lived to tell the tale.

      Delete
  14. Nice pics YP. I’ve been to Sheffield lots of times. Perhaps the cows were staring at you and wondering why you call you car Clint?

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits