19 August 2019

Caterpillar

Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar
   © Warren Photographic

Last week I saw a creature I had never seen before. It was an elephant hawk moth caterpillar. It was in the palm of our neighbours' ten year old grandson's hand. I didn't have my camera with me so I have included a picture of such a caterpillar that I found in Google Images. See above.

With its bulbous snake-like head and its little feet , it looked as if it had crept out of a Disney cartoon... Ellie the Caterpillar voiced by Lady Gaga or some such celebrity. Co-incidentally, I think the caterpillar's face is very similar to Lady Gaga's.

Of course if that three inch caterpillar makes it, she will pupate - becoming a chrysalis for the wintertime and then next spring she will emerge as a beautiful elephant hawk moth. See below
© Warren Photographic
Despite its name the adult moth itself is not especially large. It has a wingspan of around two inches and is excellent at hovering in the air above blooming flowers at night. The name of the moth chiefly derives from the caterpillar which from the front appears to have some sort of proboscis like an elephant:-
© Warren Photographic

21 comments:

  1. The natural world around us has so much to offer, much more than what we can learn about it in a lifetime, even if - like Alexander von Humboldt - dedicate our lives to such learning, exploring and discovering.
    What I like a lot about your post is that you "met" Ellie in the palm of your neighbour's grandson. He must have been fascinated enough by it to show it to his granddad's neigbhour - you. Did you tell him you were going to blog about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't but next time I see him I will tell him. He is called Louis.

      Delete
  2. Nature is pretty wonderful isn't it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me that little creature is as wonderful as a blue whale.

      Delete
  3. Do you have a proboscis like an elephant's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen a couple of these in my lifetime, they are impressive aren't they.
    This post reminded me of stick insects, I haven't seen one in years, we used to find them in the hedges.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kids had stick insects as pets. They weren't quite as entertaining as your Rupert!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I noticed you said moth and not caterpillar!

      Delete
  6. Quite beautiful if his own right

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's an amazing moth. I'd love to see one in real life. I hope your young friend was careful with the caterpillar and put it back wherever it belonged! I believe I read somewhere that these moths are in decline, like many moth species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The delight on the boy's face was infectious and he very carefully put the caterpillar back where had found it.

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'm glad to hear it.

      Delete
  8. Well good for you to investigate the creature and pass on the description.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the caterpillar is quite beautiful. I think Lady Gaga is quite beautiful, too. And, both, in their own way, are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah but the caterpillar is a better dancer.

      Delete
  10. A strange creature is always exciting to find and this moth is beautiful I hope the boy will have a moment of his life changed forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that boy is destined for high academic achievement and a career in either medicine (like his father) or lepidopterology.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits