2 June 2022

Londesborough

Cottages in Londesborough

Today I thought that I would kill two birds with one stone as it were. Not only would I travel back to East Yorkshire to visit my dying brother, I would also factor in a nice long walk. 

That's why I left Clint snoozing on Low Road, Londesborough opposite All Saints Church. Londesborough is a charming little village on the edge of The Yorkshire Wolds and is associated with the Dukes of Devonshire whose main country residence is Chatsworth House in Derbyshire.

Wedding party in Goodmanham

It was a beautiful, warm day at the start of summer. No need for a coat or jumper. I put on some braces (American: suspenders) to avoid hitching up my trousers every half mile or so. Soon I was heading south over chalky agricultural land towards another charming village called Goodmanham. In  ancient All Hallows Church built on the site of an important pre-Christian temple, a wedding was in progress. Two villagers I met - married for fifty three years - told me that most years only two or three weddings are held in their parish church. Read about Goodmanham on Wikipedia.

Mill House in Goodmanham

Then I walked on to a much larger settlement called Market Weighton. It's really a small town with plenty of services and a population of 7,000 or so. Its most notable resident was William Bradley who died in 1820. At 7 feet 9 inches, he was known as The Yorkshire Giant and may well have been the tallest Englishman ever. There's now a life-sized oak statue of him looking down the high street.

Table set in Market Weighton for a Platinum Jubilee party in honour of  our queen

I turned north again, heading back to Londesborough and there was no dawdling because I wanted to reach Simon's cottage by late afternoon before heading back to Sheffield. I stayed with him over an hour and he only yelled at me once - commanding me to "Shut the door!" as I was in the process of shutting that very same door to leave. It's never easy but at least he said, "Thank you for coming".

Statue of William Bradley looking down Market Weighton High Street

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:30 am

    What a beautiful house in the first photo and nature lit it so well. The mill house looks nice too.
    236 centimetres tall. A giant! Now if all things are in proportion...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first picture is in fact of three small farm workers' cottages.

      Delete
  2. when you describe a walk such as this , I always wish I could go with you. I could be as quiet as Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go for a walk with you Red. I think we would get on just fine but I doubt that we ever will.

      Delete
  3. What lovely photos. I've always wanted to live in an English Cottage .... doors opened or closed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely in spring and summer. No major roads pass through Londesborough - just quiet country lanes.

      Delete
  4. You did well in combining a visit to your brother with a walk. Everywhere looks so pretty and neat, still with the fresh green of early summer and ready for the jubilee.
    At least Simon said thank you. And at least he can still yell at you. The day when he won't be able to do that anymore is probably not all that far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that you are right Meike. If he can't yell at me, who can he yell at?

      Delete
  5. Seven feet nine inches? Yikes! Keeping him in clothes must have cost a fortune. I love the old stone cottages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could have held you in his big hand like a doll River!

      Delete
  6. Market Weighton is a lovely place, but would be much busier - a Hull and York commuter town with a cultured community - if the railways that once ran through were still open. Pleased your brother is back in home environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first knew Market Weighton before it was by-passed. I did seem like a lovely place when I walked through it yesterday. I could have easily lived there and I don't say that about many places.

      Delete
  7. It seems my original comment disappeared. Only wanted to say what a lovely place that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your comment may have disappeared because of the swear words you frequently use JayCee. Remember this blog is not a fish dock!

      Delete
  8. A perfect day for a perfect walk - how lush everywhere looks. Walking in such lovely surroundings must have fortified you for your visit to Simon. It's sad that he wasn't able to join you and absorb the peace from the surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He will never walk those paths again. I suggested renting a little house with him in one of his favourite places - Whitby - but he has lost his oomph. I guess that is how cancer can get you.

      Delete
  9. My heart breaks a little for your brother. I doubt he's had a very happy life. But I'm glad you got to get out and have such a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could tell you some tales Mary but not now and not here.

      Delete
  10. I love seeing how the country has all come together to celebrate one thing, one person. It's sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A good hike, Neil! I love seeing the bunting and decorations ready for the Jubilee Celebrations. If you ever go back there, would you take a selfie with the William Bradley statue? It would be fun to see how you compare. Glad your brother appreciated your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like a dwarf compared with Giant Bradley even though I am six feet tall.

      Delete
  12. It looks a great walk. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That mill house is a strange structure. Surely it must be auspicious to be married on the queen's jubilee weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits