12 April 2024

Bradford

Light fitting seen from below in Cartwright Hall, Bradford

Shirley dropped me off at our railway station and I journeyed north to Leeds. There I climbed aboard the connecting train at Platform 11d and twenty minutes later I reached Bradford Interchange Station. Though it didn't rain today, there was very little of the sunshine and blue sky that the weather folk had predicted.

After loitering in the city centre for a while, I headed north to Manningham Lane which is a major route out of  Bradford - heading to illustrious satellite towns like Bingley and Shipley which are both associated with the mass murderer Peter Sutcliffe - usually known as The Yorkshire Ripper.

Manningham Lane was once a prosperous thoroughfare of grand stone mansions and solid businesses but in any city neighbourhoods can experience dramatic demographic and commercial change as decades pass by. In the 1960's the Manningham area began to attract waves of South Asian immigrants so that now white Bradfordians are very much in the minority there.

Local council elections are coming up in May

Along Manningham Lane there are Muslim takeaways, grocery stores, clothing and book stores and with it being a Friday, I saw many men and boys in their mosque clothes - garments that would not look out of place in Islamabad or Karachi.

Lister Park was partly given to the city by an industrial magnate called Samuel Cunliffe Lister. The park opened in 1875 and to this day it is well-maintained. In the heart of the park is Cartwright Hall which houses the city's premier art gallery.

Bronze stag in Lister Park

There were perhaps less paintings than I imagined there would be but even so some were of excellent quality. I especially liked the gallery that was devoted to Bradford-born David Hockney - an artist I have admired for many years. He is now 86 years old and by all accounts still producing his art like a man possessed.

Leaving the park, my  left heel was smarting once again so I curtailed my walkabout and caught a bus back into the city centre. There I sat on a bench in Centenary Square, reading a book in the shadow of Bradford's magnificent city hall before heading back to Leeds and thence to Sheffield. Mission accomplished.

Humble saree business on Manningham Lane

Bronze business plates in the city centre.
The third one underlines Bradford's important historical connections with the wool trade.

35 comments:

  1. That Bronze stag sculpture is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to see you didn't tour the Bradford Police Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed by it but I did not feel like going in in case they arrested me.

      Delete
  3. The Yorkshire Ripper. Any relation to Jack? Or just a copycat? I love the bronze stag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Sutcliffe terrorised the north of England for a few years. He killed at least thirteen women - usually with a hammer blow to the back of the head. He was a real life monster and I am happy that he died in 2020.

      Delete
  4. It certainly was a walk very different from what you usually do. Good to know public transport seems to have worked well, but sorry to read that your heel is causing you pain again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today thed heel feels good but by the end of my trip to Bradford I was limping. It is so frustrating.

      Delete
  5. I am not sure I've seen that spelling of saree before. The park stag is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife's great great great grandfather says thank you for describing his town hall as magnificent but is disappointed not to see a picture here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My two photos of it are disappointing because of the poor light.

      Delete
  7. It's quite an interesting, different, walk from your usual perambulations YP.
    The stag is impressive and I wonder how old it is. I thought the plaque on the side might give some information, but it just asks people not to climb on the sculpture. Have you any photos of the Hockney pictures to show us? Amazing that he's still painting prolifically at 86!
    Like Andrew, I wondered about the spelling of saree (sari?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bronze stag was created by Pierre-Louis Brouillard (1820-1881).

      Delete
  8. You survived your visit to that far off, distant foreign land then? Apart from the painful heel. Hope that gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip was rather like your trip to Bermuda. Both places begin with B and they are equally exotic.

      Delete
  9. Whenever I see your posts with writings about the wool industry, I think of my connections back in Scape Goat Hill, some 90 miles to the north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bradford is in fact north west of Scapegoat Hill Ed.

      Delete
    2. That it is. I’m not sure what I punched into Google maps now.

      Delete
  10. The bronze stag statue is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I photographed it in a brief period of good light so I was happy about that Dave.

      Delete
  11. I wonder if Bradford Pears were named after that Bradford. Probably not. Cool picture of the light. I bet it felt good to get out into the world a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bradford pear is named after Frederick Charles Bradford, the director of the USDA Plant Introduction Station in Glenn Dale, Maryland, where the Bradford pear was developed.

      Delete
  12. So many places to visit! I'm glad you enjoyed your day and hope your heel stops bothering you so you can get out for my hikes and explorations, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice day out lifts one's spirits, distracting us from our normal cares.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a lovely day out. We all need more of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Ellen - a nice day out lifts one's spirits, distracting us from our normal cares.

      Delete
  14. I envy your transportation system. Public transit takes you almost everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble with Canada is that is so damned big!

      Delete
  15. Our Andrew has a flat in Shipley, didn't know that Peter Sutcliffe had anything to do with this town but I suppose wretched murderers can be found anywhere. Todmorden had doctor Harold Shipman working there at one stage, he seems to have killed 215 people. I still find these towns difficult to fix in my mind, especially Bradford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sutcliffe was born in Shipley and his work depot was there too.

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing your walkabout. What a lovely afternoon for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been even better without twinges of gout.

      Delete
  17. The stag sculpture is beautiful! And that picture of the light fixture is truly amazing -- real life made abstract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you admired the light fixture picture - coming from you that is worth something.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits