23 November 2014

Rossington

Rossington Hall south of Doncaster. We were there most of yesterday for a wedding - one of Shirley's many cousins giving marriage a third bash. 

This Victorian pile has had a varied history. For example, from 1953 to 2008 it was a special school serving boys with a range of challenging conditions - from autism to cerebral palsy. Then for three years it was watched over by security guards employed by Doncaster Council until private speculators acquired it and proceeded to turn it into a luxury hotel and wedding venue.

They are still in the expensive process of realising their dream. I noticed that some of the gilt-framed pictures on the walls were merely mass-produced prints. Even so it was a privilege to explore the place and with Shirley's Uncle Edwin I even visited the luxurious bridal suite with its ceramic bath sitting on a marble plinth as the November sunset peered through surrounding woodland.

Here's Lady Pudding from "Downton Abbey" by the wedding carriage:-
And here she is by a continental coach manufactured in 1950::-
It brought several wedding guests from a nearby and less magnificent hotel. Now ladies, please cover your eyes, for this is the gentlemen's luxurious urinal:-
And here's the drawing room complete with unoriginal prints:-
The wedding feast in the ballroom was marvellous. Doused in Tetley bitter flavoured gravy and accompanied by caramelised onions, the starter was of course the ever dependable and socially unifying  Yorkshire Pudding!

12 comments:

  1. That's the life! I need to move !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you could get a job as a kitchen maid at Rossington Hall Helen. You'd look nice in a frilly French maid's outfit. Tony could be a stable lad if he knows how to toss hay with a pitchfork.

      Delete
  2. Great, I use an empty plastic milk container. Is the dark patch on the floor where you missed.
    This was a good wedding and I love the vehicles. I hope they didn't put the bride in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't believe you shared that with us Adrian ~ I suppose better than standing at the door of the van.

      Lady Shirley looks very posh in her coat and hat. Did you wear tails perchance YP?

      And can I just add ~ third time luck huh?

      Delete
    2. No Adrian, the "dark patch" is merely a shadow on the floor. I never miss my intended target as I am a sharpshooter - not a Stanley Matthews. Do you save your replenished milk cartons in a warehouse somewhere - all labelled and dated?

      Delete
    3. Carol. You have never lived in a camper van. They do have a posh loo but it only holds five litres so it is time efficient to piss outside.
      I have been known to stand at the door but not on a campsite. I could get locked up for that.

      Delete
  3. Oh Carol you were writing your response to Impish Adrian at exactly the same time as me. I was not wearing tails, just a leopard skin thong and a bowler hat. I can't understand why I got several funny looks from the hotel staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the problem with 'Replies.' They can overlap and there is a continuity problem. In my case an incontinence problem. Sorry carol.

      Delete
  4. Wow! How rich must someone be to have their wedding at such a venue? If I ever get married again, it will be my third time, too. But I doubt I'll look half as smart as Lady Shirley - and she wasn't even the bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it is the same in Deutschland Meike but in recent years in England a thriving wedding industry seems to have developed, with wedding planners and everything. People's wedding expectations are often totally out of synch with their incomes...And if you ever did get married again I have no doubt that you would still make an eye-catching bride.

      Delete
  5. At a time of austerity and fewer marriages the buoyancy of the luxury end of the wedding industry has surprised me. It does look an attractive venue and the vehicles are superb of course. As for Lady Pudding....very much the lady.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Oh! Oh! Pass me the smelling salts, please! Oh! Oh! Urinals...oh, dear! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits