6 November 2014

Snapshots

"Mummy! Who's that funny man over there?...Mummy! He's got a camera. What's he doing Mummy?"
"Avert your eyes my little one for that is The Bogeyman!"
"But Mummy, why does The Bogeyman look like a great big Yorkshire Pudding?"
__________________________________________________

So here I am in the churchyard of St Alban's in Wickersley once a remote village and stopover between the medieval town of Rotherham and  Roche Abbey - an influential Cistercian outpost for four hundred years...
And here's "The Masons Arms" in Wickersley...
Now The Bogeyman is walking across fields near Ravenfield...
And this impressive facade is in Hellaby. It's a seventeenth century manor house that would once have stood in extensive parkland but now has two busy industrial estates as its neighbours and is itself merely part of a large modern hotel that the photographer has sneakily excluded...
On Monday I was south of Chesterfield. This little boat house is on The Great Pond of Stubbing...
This is an artificial lake in Wingerworth. It is known as Wingerworth Lido... Here I met a keen angler who informed me that there were 152 individual carp fish in the lake and he has patiently caught 141 of them. Apparently they each have their own names, supplied by regular anglers...including Chalky White, Plaggy Bag and Brian....
I saw this stone picture frame by the back entrance to Stubbing Court, once called Stubbing Hall...
And specially for Mr R. Brague and any other religious visitors to this blog, here is The Salem Independent Chapel in the parish of Wingerworth. It was opened in 1849 to serve the local agricultural community...

14 comments:

  1. Stunning pictures! I love the ancient-ness of your England. It's so wet where I live that even if we'd been here that long, everything would have rotted by now anyhow. I would so love to see ancient castles.....
    I love the step over the fence - might keep our cows out, but my goats would have a hey day with it!
    It appears you're having a drier Autumn than we are - It hasn't quit raining & blowing here since it started a few weeks back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor old Washington State - well the coastal part anyway. You get so much rain. You should consider moving east where its drier - Goldendale perhaps. We stayed there on our North West trip in June. It didn't seem like a rainy place.

      Delete
    2. An old nursery rhyme:

      There was a crooked man and he walked a crooked mile,
      He found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile.
      He bought a crooked cat, which caught a crooked mouse.
      And they all lived together in a little crooked house.

      Quoting it here is just my way of letting the entire Yorkshire Pudding readership know that the step over the fence is called a stile.

      Delete
    3. FABULOUS! I couldn't think of the word stile! You have saved the day, Mr RWP! Master York - I'd never consider moving to the eastern side - it is ugly. It rains 60-90" a year here in my neck of the woods.....but my mountains and forests are worth it.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the wander. Not an area I would have considered for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there were two areas actually my friend but neither of them attract walkers from outside the area.

      Delete
  3. The stone picture is my favourite in this post! The incredibly blue lake is great, too. And that 17th century house - I want it!!! Do you think it could be transplanted to Ludwigsburg, if I ask nicely?
    Two pub meals for 8.95... hmm... what quality can the ingredients be at such a price, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very observant Miss Arian. Two meals for £8.95. I know you normally stick to haute cuisine but we English are happy to chow down on burgers and chips or lasagne and salad at lunchtime. Regarding the old house in Maltby, you will need to marry the owner of the hotel who is known as The Beast by his frightened staff.

      Delete
  4. I may be a religious visitor to this blog but I am not a member of any local agricultural community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We plough the fields and scatter the good seed on the ground..." I can hear them singing from the Salem Chapel now as the Reverend Brague mounts the nearby stile contemplating the fire and brimstone sermon he is about to deliver to a congregation of miserable sinners...

      Delete
    2. "The Reverend Brague delivered a glorious sermon this morning in the rustic stone chapel, though some said they felt a bit warm and there were rumours of just the slightest hint of smelling smoke. All went home from the service better prepared to plough through the daily struggles of the week ahead."
      By the way, I may be a sinner.....but I am in no way miserable ;-)

      Delete
  5. Carp are classed as pests in Australia; and here in Queensland they're illegal. We have a variety of pests here...and far too many of the two-legged kind! ;)

    I don't know exactly the exchange rate...but the cost of two meals at the Masons Arms appears extremely reasonable. I bet they do good business with that special on daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the happy colours and lovely light

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful ramble and a superb facade at Hellaby. Your 'Bogeyman' comment has given me an idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits