2 January 2022

Films

A modern Christmas tradition is for families to sit down together in order to enjoy a good film (American: movie). With Netflix and Amazon Prime the choices become almost endless.

Last night, I found myself sitting on the sofa ready to watch "The Departed" starring Jack Nicholson, Matt Damon and Leonardo di Caprio with a stellar supporting cast. Set in Boston, USA, the film focused on relations between the police department and the brutal underworld in which police double agents were planted. Made in 2006, the film was directed by Martin Scorsese.

An horrendous total of 21 people are killed on screen in "The Departed" which I nonetheless  found to be shallow and rather dull entertainment. There is no human depth to it, just lots of aggression and blood. It was quite boring and predictable in spite of the talented lead actors and the shootings.

Another film I watched was  "The Amazing Spider-Man" (2012). This contained many incredible special effects but ultimately I also found this film to be very tedious. It was as if it had been aimed at adolescent boys of limited intelligence. Fantasies about superheroes just do not appeal to me anyway. If I never see another superhero film in my life I will die happily in my bed. To me they are all utter rubbish even though I recognise that many other people like them. Box office figures cannot lie, can they?

The best film I saw through the holiday period was a low budget production  called "Once" (2007). Set in Dublin,  it stars Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová as struggling street musicians. In fact, that is what they were in real life for many years. It is a sweet romance with several twists but I suppose that what I mostly liked about it was that it seemed like real life - authentic and true. As you might imagine, "Once" has a musical soundtrack with songs by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová. Of all of the songs, "Falling Slowly" was the most haunting. I had heard it before and now here it is for your personal enjoyment. Please turn up the volume and listen:-

26 comments:

  1. Once is a lovely film. I also liked "A Street Cat named Bob"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that last movie years ago and loved it. My favorite line is when she brings the vacuum into the shop to be repaired and when asked what was wrong with it, she said, "It's fucked."

    The singing is so beautiful and I loved the storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her reply was honest! No beating about the bush with that. Glad you liked "Once" too Nurse Lily.

      Delete
  3. I share your dislike for ultra violent and super hero movies; I've seen "Once" and enjoyed it. The song is very well-known too. Weren't the actors married in real life? I don't know that they stayed married though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have broken up now. That might make another film!

      Delete
  4. Neither of the first two films would have been my choice to watch. Like you, superhero sagas do not at all appeal to me. As for Once, I don‘t know the musicians/actors and can not play the linked video in this country, but from your description, it sounds worth watching.
    We watched a Midsomer Murders episode last night. It was alright, but certainly not a must-see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years I have turned away from films or TV dramas that involve killing and/or detectives. So tedious in my view.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:11 am

    I've added the music to my YT list for later listening.

    There hasn't been many new US movies that have appealed to me in the last two decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen many great American films such as "Nebraska" and "Manchester By The Sea" but the mainstream films are mostly not my cup of tea.

      Delete
  6. "Once" is one of my all time favourite movies and I have seen the stage show twice.
    The first time was in Dublin in August 2015 when I visited with my daughter and we got tickets to celebrate my birthday. I still have my ticket as souvenir. The second time was this year when the show came to Christchurch. It had not lost any of it's magic.
    Thanks for reviving those happy memories. Happy New Year from the deep South where it's Summer and Charlotte is in the paddling pool!
    Adele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice co-incidence that you also appreciated "Once". I never knew that it had been a stage show too. Phoebe wishes she could also be in Charlotte's swimming pool, splashing like a loon. Summer seems a long way off for us. Happy New Year Adele!

      Delete
  7. I will look for 'Once'. I am not a cartoon character fan, and I cannot stand gore and violence. Tim got hooked on "Ozark" and I couldn't bear to be in the same room. I was glad when THAT was done. Life is sometimes awful and sometimes violent, but I have never understood violence as the main theme of a movie. It's just awful. Have you ever watched '5 flights Up'? That is a sweet movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Debby.

      Regarding killing and shootings in films, they make easy drama. It is harder to create good drama from ordinary life. Take "The Last Picture Show" for example - so quiet and poignant.

      Delete
  8. Watched Once years ago and I have the CD somewhere. The only negative thing for me was the street musician holding a vacuum cleaner repair job.😊 Smashing film and Marketa Irglova sings like a Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Florence Nightingale could sing.

      Delete
  9. We still watch terrestrial television, so for us it was Shirley Valentine about 30 years after we first saw it. I hope it doesn't give Mrs. D. ideas. The kids weren't interested and sat watching horrible things on Netfix or something on their laptops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still nice to watch films with others - not in individual bubbles.

      Delete
  10. I have seen all three films and would have watched 'Once' thrice and the others not at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to be reassured that some Yankee Doodle Dandies are not into all that superficial stuff.

      Delete
  11. Absolutely my feelings about movies too. I have not seen "Once" but after watching/listening to that video I most certainly would.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on superhero movies. I am not the least bit interested. My nieces love them, but then, they're kids. It seems like every few years there's another Spider-Man movie, and I think, "AGAIN?"

    That's a beautiful song in the video. I've heard it too, but I have no idea where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the song won some international awards.

      Delete
  13. My daughter encouraged me to watch Once when it first came out. I thought it was a good film with an excellent soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm open to correction but I think it's over two years since I found the time to watch a film.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits