3 September 2015

Another

Boastfulness is one of humankind's less attractive traits so please forgive me for the words that follow.

6159 photographs were submitted to the geograph website between August 15th and the 21st. Having been the winner in Week 31 with my picture of good old Fred Fox, I was happy to rest on my photographic laurels for a while. But blow me down with a feather, I am also the Week 33 winner! The winning picture is presented above for your discernment. I titled it "Mid summer vegetation by Thievesdale Wood".

It was composed when I went walking around Carlton-in-Lindrick and Blyth. By East Thievesdale Wood, I noticed a sun-bleached meadow with the bones of hemlock plants rising from the parched grassland. It seemed so fragile, like a Japanese painting. Crouching down, I aimed to exclude the horizon so that all attention was fixed on that tinder dry growth.

To tell you the truth, I didn't hold out much hope for that particular picture when I saw it in the week's competition shortlist. Most winners are of Scottish landscapes or Welsh mountains - spectacular scenery. In comparison my picture of a dry August meadow seemed distinctly unremarkable. Perhaps that is what the judge liked - drawing visual attention to the  understated ordinariness of a thirsty summer meadow - the sort of scene that most people would walk past without a second glance.

I had two picture of the week winners last year and two in 2013, now two in 2015. Given the number of geograph contributors this record is amazing. My head is growing so big it's half as big as Donald Trump's - like a big fat hot air balloon. Bloggers will need to queue up in an orderly line if they hope to get my autograph.

21 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, with well deserved plaudits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done and beautiful photos. My dad was a great photographer and I remember his dark room and photographic equipment. I think you have talent Yorkie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell, it seems that every Tom, Dick and Harry can snap a good photo nowadays Mona-Leisha but thanks for your kind support.

      Delete
  3. Well, congratulations again. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bow to thee teacher of Mounties. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Boast as much as you want to, Yorkie! You certainly have something worthwhile to boast about! That is a most wonderful photograph! Beautiful! Congratulations!

    But don't go resting on your laurels (they can become prickly and uncomfortable)...we expect (and demand) many more fruits of your talent. Oh, okay...we ask nicely.....please! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy coming over to England to be a life model Lee? As a photographer I am fascinated by the human form.

      Delete
  5. It is a beauty.........would look good in B&W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Congratulations! Maybe you should have a blog giveaway of a signed copy of one of your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an idea Jennifer! I could make money by charging ten bucks for postage and packing!

      Delete
  7. It is beautiful, and I agree with Adrian, it would make a great B&W print.

    Have you any... erm... relationship with someone in the judge's team at the geograph website? Like a correspondent who regularly receives small gifts in the shape of home-made Yorkshire Puddings etc. from you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me Detective Riley! As they say, money talks!

      Delete
  8. Well done Mr Pudding.!

    Close examination reveals vertical lines, contrasting shapes and that small smudge of green in the background.
    Detail often makes a welcome change to a sky/landscape.

    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are an astute judge with excellent eyesight Alphie!

      Delete
  9. Please, not another Donald Trump!

    Seriously, congrats on your win. I suspect you're right -- the judges probably liked your photo because it was different from most of what they receive, and depicted something many people miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a generous fellow Steve! Unlike your esteemed countryman - golden-haired Donald Trump.

      Delete
  10. Well done! A bit different. It's the Artie fartie coming out in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall don a Breton sailor's outfit and cultivate a goatee beard and I shall mince around exclaiming "Fabulous!" to all and sundry - soon to be known as Mr Arty- Farty.

      Delete
  11. Many thanks for discussing this fantastic written content on your website. I came across it on google. I may check to come back once you post additional aricles. Intellux hey all, I used to be simply checkin' out this blog and I actually admire the premise of the article, and have nothing to do, so if anyone want to to have an engrossing convo about it, please contact me on AIM, my name is heather smithhttp://www.supplements4help.com/intellux/


    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits