10 September 2015

Regeneration

Since I took early retirement from my teaching job in Sheffield, the taking of photographs has become something of a personal obsession. Regular visitors to this humble blog have seen dozens of my pictures - often from country rambles as I have plodded the byways of this green and pleasant land.

It is possible to trace my plodding history on the internet via Panoramio and geograph.co.uk. Additionally, when you put my real name into Google Images many pictures I have taken will be returned.

That searchability was never intended - it is just an unexpected by-product of the ever more sophisticated and gluttonous electronic web. Its appetite for data seems to know no bounds.

When one's photos get into the ether they can be picked up by various organisation or private individuals for illustration purposes - as long as copyright is acknowledged. This is a subject that I blogged about last December when I noticed that the communist  "Morning Star" had used my photo of a red grouse to illustrate a news article.

And now I notice that in May the BBC News website used one of my photos to illustrate an article about the regeneration of a former South Yorkshire coal mining village called Rossington. I walked there last summer on a hot and windless day and wrote about that particular ramble in a blogpost that I titled "Thwarted". I even used the same picture:-
There has been a little too much trumpet blowing in this post. "Me" and "I" are words that become tiresome when overused. For this one apologises but not every amateur photographer has his/her photographs tapped by The British Broadcasting Corporation and one is as pleased as punch about it - even if they didn't send one a handsome cheque for the privilege

19 comments:

  1. Yorkie you never seem to brag about your achievements. Must of been a surprise to see your photo used by the BBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a surprise.... (posh voice) "This is the BBC News from Yorkshire Pudding in England and from Riko Hizon in Singapore..."

      Delete
  2. One would appreciate at least one cheque...and let it be a big one at that!

    I'd give 'em one if I were you, Yorkie. One up the Khyber Pass while pointing out to them your handiwork is worth at the very least their recognition by giving you credit where credit is due...and debiting a big one into your bank account! :)

    However...on the other hand...you have every right to feel proud that photo was used by the BBC, no less! One is allowed to use "Me" and "I" in such cases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the bottom right hand corner of the photo you can see my name Lee but yes a disgustingly obese bank cheque would have been very welcome. Then I could have flown to Queensland with a pocket full of sticky "U"'s to correct the spelling of Tamborine Mountain..

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely not trying to get the last word in as you constantly accuse me of trying to do, Yorkie...but until just now I didn't know your real name. In truth, I still don't because the print is too small for me to read! Hang on until I grab my magnifying glass! :)

      You can bring "U's" with you if you like, Youse'll be welcome, but your "U's" won't be used. Our posties don't like being confused.

      Delete
  3. The BBC Magazine used a couple of my photos from Flickr not too long ago -- but at least they asked me first, so it wasn't a surprise. I should Google around and see if I can find others! (The problem is, I have a relatively common name, so it's not easy to find me that way.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Googling my name is good because I believe I am the only person in the world with this particular name.And hey you don't seem "common" to me Steve!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations............A cheque would have been a nice gesture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly better than a two fingered salute.

      Delete
  5. Retirement does send us on to other interests. don't forget about your poetry. I haven't seen any for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so my "Ode to Queen Elizabeth II" doesn't count as poetry Red? Actually, I agree!

      Delete
  6. Well done. I'd be pleased too. ....and at least they acknowledged you !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who wants money when you have acknowledgement Helen? ...Easy on the French wine tonight dear!

      Delete
  7. Hmm... I think if it was my photo (fat chance!) a big corporation as the BBC had used, I'd write to them and very politely ask them for something in return.
    You know how much I like your pictures, but I'd never use any without asking your permission. If you remember, I have asked once or twice whether it would be OK to use one for the next issue of my Yorkshire Calendar. I normally have these printed as gifts for friends and family with my own pictures, but as I've never been to Yorkshire in winter, there is a complete absence of snowy ones which I'd like to use for December and January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legally, if any of my pictures are hosted by geograph or Panoramio then permission is not required - just acknowledgement. On the other hand, if a photo from this blog were to be used - one that had not been hosted elsewhere - then permission certainly would be required. You - on the other hand - have carte blanche to use any of my pictures. Did I show you this one before?
      http://www.panoramio.com/photo/44551604

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Neil! This is a very good and touching photo which I have not seen before.

      Delete
  8. Very well done, Mr Pudding! I think you have every reason to be proud. Your photos are wonderful, I'm not surprised that they're getting noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thanks for sharing I always look forward to reading your posts one of the few blogs I still follow! Well-written article. Intellux I was checking continuously to this website and Im really inspired! Very educational information, especially the fifth sentences. I really want this kind of info. I was looking for this particular knowledge for a very long. Thankx and best of luck.http://www.supplements4help.com/intellux/


    ReplyDelete
  10. The Angel photo was a cracker. I'd just got used to uploading photospheres to Google when everything changed. I really can't waste the time trying to keep up with all the changes Google constantly thrust upon us.

    ReplyDelete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits