17 September 2015

Delightful

Nineteenth century surveyors' tower between Silsden and Addingham
Back in Sheffield now but we had a lovely break up in Wharfedale and on the last evening I managed to squeeze in a six mile walk before we went to "The Crown Inn" for delicious meat pies with mashed potato, mushy peas and "groovy gravy" all washed down with the water of life - "Tetley's" bitter.

This old internet thingumajig has a habit of surprising us doesn't it? In 2011, I visited my Uncle Jack's grave in Norton near Malton. At the tender age of twenty three, he was killed in the Battle of Britain. On the grave I saw a little wooden cross with a poppy attached to it and I wondered who had placed it there. Anyway, after posting a picture of the grave within the "geograph" site I soon found out who the cross donor was. He contacted me from Silsden near Keighley and I learnt that he was a distant cousin who also bore my unusual surname. My great grandfather's brother was this man's great great grandfather so we are very much of the same stock.
John and Heather in Silsden
We kept in touch and exchanged some information about family history and on Tuesday afternoon, after plucking up courage to meet up, we visited him and his wife in their pleasant bungalow home next to The Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The village of Silsden is only three miles south west of Addingham - over the hill and in the next valley which is called Airedale. It was a successful meeting and we stayed for almost two hours, chatting in the September sunshine. They're called John and Heather - and  it was very nice to meet them.

It was four o' clock when we got back to Addingham. I grabbed a map and laced up my boots before plodding out north of the village. To walk in unfamiliar territory is free and very delightful - like a secret world unfolding before your eyes. You never quite know what will be round the next corner and this fills my heart with the precious joy of simply being alive.
Wharefedale with view to Bolton Abey
The track from Hawpike to Addingham
Cattle silhouetted against a September sky near Highfield Farm

15 comments:

  1. It is a great area. I spent a couple of Christmases at Bolton Abbey. I can't remember the tower but there are a few restrictions on dog walking in the area which though not particularly limiting are a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dog walking restrictions? Maybe you need to invest in a little doggie sized conveyor belt so that Alf and Molly can burn off energy while you are struggling with the quick crossword in "The Sun".

      Delete
  2. Oddly enough I've just been talking about the unusual way friendships can be established. Methinks that comments like your response to Adrian might not be the best of approaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm.... Senor Adrian enjoys mischief as much as I do but both of us have been known to cross the boundary of acceptability. However I know as well he does that he would never even wipe his arse with "The Sun" Graham!

      Delete
    2. I do appreciate that you know Adrian would never read The Sun YP and I also appreciate that it's your blog and your sense of humour. It just differs from mine in some respects. By the way. I wrote that comment late last night so why does it say that it was made at 8.30am? Just curious.

      Delete
    3. In blogging, timing clearly isn't everything.

      Delete
  3. "This old internet thingamajig" as you say is a brilliant tool! I never ceased to be amazed by and thankful for its capabilities. It's certainly is a wonderful thing. I know I'd be lost without it. I was without it for three days a couple of weeks ago and that really upset the apple-cart!

    How great that it worked so well for you in the case of your Uncle Jack's grave and the wooden cross. That's a heartwarming story.

    From your accounts, you had a lovely trip...but I'm sure it's nice to be back home again...I hope Fred Fox didn't pack up his bags and leave because you'd left him!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny that you should mention Fred Fox Lee. I believe he had already departed to Fox Heaven in the days before we went away. That is the subject of my next blogpost. Watch this space.

      Delete
    2. Oh....that saddens me, Yorkie. Poor Fred...I hope he is okay and surprises you upon your return. I'm a big softy..I will be watching this space, with fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Wistful sighs over here, looking at the pictures in this post! (Except for the one of Heather and John.) I wish my Yorkshire holiday was still ahead and not already 3 weeks gone.
    As for getting in touch with distant relatives or friends of a long time ago, something like that happened to me through my blog in 2012:
    http://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.de/2012/12/merry-christmas-and-first.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall let John know that he failed to draw a wistful sigh from you Meike!

      Delete
  5. The wonder of the web eh? and lovely pics again YP. I really do want to visit Bolton Abbey and wish I could be as energetic as you with regard to walking .. these days I am a real couch potato...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arise from thy sofa Lady Libby! This weekend we are supposed to be having good weather. Grab a map, jump in the car, hold Sir Mister's hand and enjoy a nearby country walk. You can do it!

      Delete
  6. Did/does the surveyor's tower have a staircase/ladder to get to the top? Excellent photo of the cattle (and sheep) in silhouette.

    Ms Soup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surveyors' tower has been sealed up for many's the long year. There is no public access but inside there is a stone staircase to the top.

      Delete

Mr Pudding welcomes all genuine comments - even those with which he disagrees. However, puerile or abusive comments from anonymous contributors will continue to be given the short shrift they deserve. Any spam comments that get through Google/Blogger defences will also be quickly deleted.

Most Visits